Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Star Wars Thunderdome help... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
So one of my friends and I are playing x-wing at our 30min lunch period at work. We played a 2 ship vs 2 ship 73 point game today and it ate the whole time frame. We were thinking we may just start playing single ship, head to head, faction-be-damned dogfights. He's using his ships, and I will be running mine. We've allowed ourselves a 75 point ceiling (if that can even be reached) for ship + legal upgrades. So what I was looking for is opinions on which ship I should run given my options and upgrades to tweak it up as high as I can...

What I have:
Core set x-wing and tie fighters

Tie bomber expansion

A-Wing expansion

B-Wing expansion

Any pilot, any upgrades that are legal... one ship... star wars thunderdome...

I seem to be a bit of a better dogfighter than my friend but he has the core set, tie advanced, y-wing, and the large ships (though I don't think he will run the Slave or Falcon)

Any ship is fine but my initial perceptions were to run the Bomber with Major Rhymer or the B-wing with Ten Numb.. but I've been pretty slick with Tycho Celchu... Gaa... help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With just one ship, and choosing from your available stock, I'd say go with a fully loaded Rhymer:

Major Rhymer(26)
Push the Limit(3)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes(6)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes(6)
Concussion Missiles(4)
Assault Missiles(5)
Proton Bombs(5)

Total: 55

If only you had a Shield Upgrade(4) (from the Falcon), I'd throw it on him as well. Normally you don't wanna put this many points of upgrades into one ship. But since you only get one ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that'll do. Only other option would be a fully loaded A-Wing if you think you can outmaneuver your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keary Quigley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
any particular reason you'd run the assault missiles instead of the homing missiles? I'd figure the assault missiles lose a bit of effectiveness when the only other ship out there is your own. I'm leaning toward the homing missiles to stave off evasion a bit unless I am missing something... Very solid looking list otherwise.

Is there merit to running Push the Limit over Deadeye in this scenario? I can see having a second target lock or open evasion would be nice, but couldn't banking on a focus to go either way be as useful without the stress tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls