Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Martok/Spock vs Auxiallary power tokens. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Can I still use Martok's ability after doing a red manuever and receiving an auxillary power token?

Can I use Spock's ability after receiving an auxillary power token?

Are Martok's and Spock's abilities considered a "Free Action"?

Couldnt find a clear definition on what a free action is considered. Other than one that doesnt count towards your one action after moving.

Martok's Ability

After you move, choose 1 friendly ship within Range 1-2 whose Captain has a lower Skill than Martok's. The chosen ship may immediately perform 1 free Action.

Spock's Ability

If your ship has a (Scan) Token beside it when you attack, you may convert all your (Battle Stations) results into (Hit) results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key is that Martok's ability is an ability, not an action...but in order to be a recipient of the free action (through Martok's ability) a ship has to be able to take an action.

The FAQ specifically states that "a ship that loses the ability to perform Actions also loses the ability to perform free Actions."

A ship with an auxiallary power token can not take and action, which would include free actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Okay, I think I answered my own question in the question.

Ability is written in the text box of the card.

An action is either on the Ship's Action bar or is an ability preceded by the word "Action:".

So in the case of the auxillary token vs Spock/Martok they would be unaffacted.

Am I understanding this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they would be uneffected, but you would still have to have a scan token to use Spock's ability, and if the ship has an auxilillary power token, it can not perform an action. In effect, Spock's ability becomes moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls