Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I am wanting to buy a new game but am having trouble deciding which one, it has to be fun for two players above all else but it would be a bonus (not essential) if it could play to at least four players. My favourite game by far is Battlestar Galactica but I also like Ticket to Ride, Smallword, Love Letter, The Resistance Ankh-Morpork among many others, my main choices are Agricola, Android: Netrunner, Mascarade or Dominion but I am open to other suggestions.

My Game List is pretty up to date if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
None of the games on your wishlist struck me as particularly great in the 2-player department, so I'll just say get King of Tokyo or Ghost Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not 2 players, but I'd recommend BSG expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
warerare wrote:
my main choices are Agricola, Android: Netrunner, Mascarade or Dominion but I am open to other suggestions.

My Game List is pretty up to date if that helps.
Out of the games you listed here, I've played all but Netrunner. Mascarade is a fine game, but it's a big group game and I wouldn't recommend playing it with any less than 5 or 6 players.

Agricola and Dominion are both excellent two player games that also play well with up to 4. I would be wary of recommending Agricola to you, however, because I don't see any worker placement games in your collection yet and it might be a bit overwhelming for you at first.

Looking at your wishlist, I would give a strong recommendation to Stone Age as a more introductory worker placement game. It also plays very well with 2-4 players. Lords of Waterdeep could also fill that niche, although I haven't personally played it.

Mice and Mystics would be another fine choice if you're looking for a heavier, more story-driven cooperative game.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is great, but definitely lacks the depth that you appear to be looking for with your next purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at your game list, I would recommend "The Great Heartland Hauling Company" and "Roll Through the Ages".

They both play 4, but are good at 2p as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you've suggested, Agricola gets my vote.

Race for the Galaxy is a really fun game that scales from 2-4.

Also check out Sentinels of the Multiverse. With two, you might have to play a couple heroes per player, but it's a really fun lighter co-op.

I've also really been enjoying Trajan. Works great with 2, 3, or 4 players, and it has a lot of replay value. Especially if you enjoy the game Mancala.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up getting Power Grid and Summoner Wars Master Set. Typically for me none of these were on my wishlist. I swear that games on my wishlist stay on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
warerare wrote:
it has to be fun for two players above all else but it would be a bonus ..... if it could play to at least four players. .... my main choices are..... or Dominion.....
If you are already considering Dominion, but want something mainly for 2 players, and don't need it to scale past 4, look at Puzzle Strike. The asymmetry provided by character selection and dynamic victory condition help set it apart as a deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like BSG and THINK you might want the expansions, get them now.

I only say this because it is a licensed game and well past its prime sales period, the show has been done for a while. Expansions are generally printed in much smaller numbers and less likely to be reprinted. I don't know of any threat to the FFG BSG license or anything, just as a general caveat. If you like a game and it has expansions that interest you, get them while you can because they may disappear.

For 2 player I prefer war games or abstract classics, so I don't really have much advice to offer other than Twilight Struggle is excellent. Excellent excellent excellent! Washington's War is a slightly simpler card driven game, but TS isn't too difficult to figure out thanks to the very clearly written rulebook.

Just get Twilight Struggle! A war game where the object is to not go to war!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls