Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Need some better-looking mana crystals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, those mana "crystals" included in the game are just so dull and cloudy and generally unpleasant to look at. Something like these would be perfect, except this doesn't appear to include all the necessary colors (or at least reasonable approximations):

http://www.amazon.com/GloFish-Accent-Gravel-Aquarium-Multico...

Anybody have any good suggestions? We've got all the usual national chain craft stores around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those would be neat. They seem to have green, white, and blue. You could use the pink for red and the orange for gold.

But, honestly, I've never had a problem with the mana crystals included with the base game. I think they are neat looking and certainly serve their purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problems I've had are: (1) green/blue/black are hard to tell apart in low light, and (2) the base game and expansion don't match.

I might check the local craft store for replacements today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: To err is human, to arr is pirateMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The 7th ContinentMicrobadge: Carcassonne fan
I don't have a problem with the crystals myself, but if you were looking for alternatives, Boards & Bits might be a good place to visit. Their Bits! page has many different colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
I don't have a problem with the crystals myself, but if you were looking for alternatives, Boards & Bits might be a good place to visit. Their Bits! page has many different colors.
Ooh, now those look promising. They're basically the same mold used for the Escape: The Curse of the Temple gems and those GloFish stones I linked.

EDIT: This site has some more of the larger ones.

http://www.jenlyfavors.com/ice-crystal.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend the big ones. They are really chunky.
I use the 10mm ones. You can find many sites selling the gems using Google image search with words like "acrylic crystal rocks", "acrylic nuggets", "acrylic vase filler", "acrylic scatter gems", etc.

However, for the black and gold I actually use round glass nuggets, since black and gold don't exist in crystal form in the game anyway. They exist only in "pure form", so I wanted them to look different. Here's a comparison picture:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look awesome, I'm going to have to find a UK store selling something like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice Rompe. I had no problems with the existing crystals, but after seeing yours I am very tempted by the idea of upgrading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah Gardens
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crystals of the firsts editions were fine but the later editions, just like the Lost Legion expansion, came with these ugly colored crystals. Great suggestions, I mean, the new crystals have to be replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompe wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the big ones. They are really chunky.
I use the 10mm ones. You can find many sites selling the gems using Google image search with words like "acrylic crystal rocks", "acrylic nuggets", "acrylic vase filler", "acrylic scatter gems", etc.

However, for the black and gold I actually use round glass nuggets, since black and gold don't exist in crystal form in the game anyway. They exist only in "pure form", so I wanted them to look different. Here's a comparison picture:
Yeah, I can tell the larger ones wouldn't fit in the box very well. That's a good idea with the gold and black mana, and I may even have some suitable colors for those already... Wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a few similar stones of the other four colors to minimize confusion between "tokens" and "crystals".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried painting the crystals to give them better colors?

I'm thinking of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Schmuelling
msg tools
mb
Hey people,

I am not a big fan of the original crystal either. Distinguishing between green, blue and black in dim light is pretty hard imo. Therefore I searched german websites to find something better.
I came up with 2 different alternatives. Decorational sandstones(on the left) and decorational acrylstones (on the right). Unfortunately, there are no black acrylstones. So here you see the black stones as well.

What do you think looks better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones on the far right look good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmuelle wrote:
Hey people,

I am not a big fan of the original crystal either. Distinguishing between green, blue and black in dim light is pretty hard imo. Therefore I searched german websites to find something better. [...]
I have the same issue with the originals.
Would you like to share the website you found these on? I would love to get substitute crystals as well

schmuelle wrote:
I like the shiny ones on the right!

schmuelle wrote:
Unfortunately, there are no black acrylstones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Schmuelling
msg tools
mb
countcb wrote:

Would you like to share the website you found these on? I would love to get substitute crystals as well
Hey Christoph,
I found the best selection on "dekowelt creativ". For example here:

http://www.dekoweltcreativ.de/xanario_search.php?sessID=126c...

I think I like the crystal-like ones on the right better as well, although I liked the stone-idea somehow ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: World of Warcraft fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
schmuelle wrote:
Hey people,

I am not a big fan of the original crystal either. Distinguishing between green, blue and black in dim light is pretty hard imo. Therefore I searched german websites to find something better.
I came up with 2 different alternatives. Decorational sandstones(on the left) and decorational acrylstones (on the right). Unfortunately, there are no black acrylstones. So here you see the black stones as well.

For clarity, all but the black ones on the right.

For hue:
• any of the blacks
• the yellow in the middle
• the white on the right
• the green on the left
• none of the reds — I prefer a deeper red, like

• the blue on the right

For shape, I seem to be in the minority — I actually like the shape of the original MK mana tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmuelle wrote:

http://www.dekoweltcreativ.de/xanario_search.php?sessID=126c...

I think I like the crystal-like ones on the right better as well, although I liked the stone-idea somehow ..
Thanks for the link!

I had another thought about this:

The acrylstones for the basic mana colors.
And the sandstones for black and gold mana.

This solves the problem, that there is no black acryl mana.
And it emphazises the specialty of the gold and black mana.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Schmuelling
msg tools
mb
Generally liking the idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the idea of a different style for black and gold. Should have been that way in the game. good thinking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls