Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any clever games that have camouflage or fog of war. Preferably a game without a bunch of bogus decoy chits, or screens and hidden placement (Battleship). I'd like a game that is as open as possible. It doesn't have to have it present in all aspects of the game. I think I'd actually prefer to find a game where it used on a limited basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe Block wargames are what you're looking for? Strike of the Eagle is a good one. Hammer of the Scots is tried and true
Quote:

A block wargame is a type of war game in which each unit is represented by a small rectangular or square block. The block stands on edge with the unit information facing its owner and a blank side facing the opponent.
FYI, by this definition, the Commands & Colors family of games are not block wargames, even though they do use blocks for units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Lu Zhan Jun Qi might fit the bill. It plays much like Stratego, but playing properly requires a referee who adjudicates conflict. Players know who wins each fight, but not the identity of the opposing piece. You always know the locations of the enemy pieces, but not their strength. As the game progresses (and if you're able to keep track) you can begin to discern some of them, but never perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out :

BITE (Blocks In The East)
BITW (Blocks In The West)

They can be played together for an ever expanding game or individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - you know where the other person's pieces are, but the tiles are all flipped upside down at the beginning of the game, so the fog is over the land you're exploring and the resources it might give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Anyone know of any clever games that have camouflage or fog of war. Preferably a game without a bunch of bogus decoy chits, or screens and hidden placement (Battleship). I'd like a game that is as open as possible. It doesn't have to have it present in all aspects of the game. I think I'd actually prefer to find a game where it used on a limited basis.
Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sid Meier's Civilization

The D&D Games have a fog of war as you explore a dungeon (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt).

Also, Mage Knight Board Game has a fog of war as you explore the land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is getting a new edition out soon. That would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
You might be interested in this thread.
The original question was a bit different but some of the suggestions fit the category of games you're looking for.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1033961/which-game-gives-you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1048677/the-elusive-concept-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
Game of Thrones the Board Game by FFG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
My emphasis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

I have recently created a guild entitled Blindly into the Fog of War, where we can come together to share our expertise. Brand new right now, but please join if you'd like to pursue any of these ideas further. Forgive me if you see this message again in another forum, but I'm spreading the word around.

edit: fixed the link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls