Space Empires: Close Encounters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boarding ships and Empire Advantages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see in the rule book that a captured ship does not retain its original owner's Empire Advantage (13.4). But if you capture someone's ship does it gain your own Empire Advantage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
ajwill wrote:
I see in the rule book that a captured ship does not retain its original owner's Empire Advantage (13.4). But if you capture someone's ship does it gain your own Empire Advantage?
This is a good question. My first instinct is that since they don't retain their original Empire Advantage (clearly says this in the rulebook), then they must be able to gain your own Empire Advantage (can't find anything in the rulebook on this). That would make sense to me until you start looking at the EAs more closely. For instance, a ship going from Insectiods to Giants would be hard to wrap my brain around. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
I think losing the empire advantage is mostly to reduce the amount of bookkeeping. Thematically it would make sense to lose certain advantages but keep others, since some advantages would come from the crew (Warrior Race, And We Still Carry Swords) and others are built-in (Giant Race, Master Engineers).
While it is un-thematic I think since the ship loses the previous empire advantage it makes sense to give it yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "First rule of battle, little one, don't ever let them know where you are." — ZoëMicrobadge: Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rogue One fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
Good question. I have sent Jim my take on all of them. I would say that in the case of Insectoids and Giant Race that there would be no change in Hull Size. Just because the ship is captured by these races does not mean they are going to shrink it or make it bigger. Master Engineers is trickier to me as I see that one as being more of a tech based advantage and you would have to refit the ship to allow it to gain the extra movement, but the rules are silent on this right now so I’ll let Jim make up his mind as to how he wants to answer this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oliver Upshaw wrote:
Good question. I have sent Jim my take on all of them. I would say that in the case of Insectoids and Giant Race that there would be no change in Hull Size. Just because the ship is captured by these races does not mean they are going to shrink it or make it bigger. Master Engineers is trickier to me as I see that one as being more of a tech based advantage and you would have to refit the ship to allow it to gain the extra movement, but the rules are silent on this right now so I’ll let Jim make up his mind as to how he wants to answer this.
Hey, just wondering if there was ever an answer to this. Also (and this one seems more obvious to me) does a captured ship retain Alien tech that was specific to that class of ship? Say P1 captures a CA that has Emissive Armor from P2 - I'd guess that ship retains that bonus from Emissive Armor correct? If the above are both true (or just one or other) how long does that bonus stay?

1) Do EA advantages (and which ones) only stay with captured ships that are listed in rules? The only ones I see notes for in the rules are: Giant Race, Master Engineers, Insects, Immortals, Cloaking Geniuses, House of Speed. If not explicitly mentioned then not retained?
1a) If so, how long - even if you upgrade said captured ship? Again per as written?
2) Does Alien Tech stay with captured ships?
2a) Same, how long does Alien Tech stay with ship - after refitting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: "First rule of battle, little one, don't ever let them know where you are." — ZoëMicrobadge: Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rogue One fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
I never did get a reply from Jim on this. I have resent the original email with my take of this to see what Jim thinks.

As for the Alien Tech cards and captured ships the rule in the rulebook reads: "Ships that are captured do still retain the benefit of the Alien Technology Card and can be upgraded normally. There is just no way for the player to gain the ability from the ship and duplicate it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls