Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which type of grid base do you prefer, normal square grid or hex based grid?
square (checkerboard)
hexagonal
neither
doesn't matter like them both
something else
      58 answers
Poll created by bbblasterfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
...but I consider hexes normal. Squares are weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, by calling squares "standard" and "normal" you're biasing the poll.

Also, it may depend on the type of game.

And, square grids differ depending on whether diagonals are allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Dresser
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Depends on the game. If it's movement based, hex grids allow for a much more realistic approximation of real world movement. They also look more realistic. If it's a tile-laying game, then hexes are going to be more difficult to match sides on; four sides, or three work better. For games that don't involve one of those two elements, I don't have any strong opinion between those shapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
octothorp wrote:
Depends on the game. If it's movement based, hex grids allow for a much more realistic approximation of real world movement. They also look more realistic. If it's a tile-laying game, then hexes are going to be more difficult to match sides on; four sides, or three work better. For games that don't involve one of those two elements, I don't have any strong opinion between those shapes.
... although I have deliberately chosen to use octagonal tiles in one of my games, because it allowed me to have small square tiles as well to fit in the holes of the tessellation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games have hexagons, but that doesn't mean that squares are out of the question.

I figure, for movement, if a unit is allowed to move 3 squares edge-on, it should be able to move 2 squares diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Dresser
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
although I have deliberately chosen to use octagonal tiles in one of my games, because it allowed me to have small square tiles as well to fit in the holes of the tessellation.
Very cool, I'd love to know more about that. I've been thinking about exploring irregular tessellation patterns in a game, and octagon/square tessellations seemed like one of the most interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use almost square rectangles, 7x6 ratio, you get virtually the same mathematical relationship as hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squares allow you to move in 8 directions from any square. Hexes only allow for 6 directions. Not that it matters in many games, but it could make a difference in some designs.

ziacoach wrote:
If you use almost square rectangles, 7x6 ratio, you get virtually the same mathematical relationship as hexes.
Do you mean for diagonal movement? If so, this is very interesting. Why don't we see more of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on for what?

Octagonal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FoggyPlanet wrote:
Squares allow you to move in 8 directions from any square. Hexes only allow for 6 directions. Not that it matters in many games, but it could make a difference in some designs.

ziacoach wrote:
Do you mean for diagonal movement? If so, this is very interesting. Why don't we see more of this?
Guess you could allow movement inbetween tiles for hexagonal to to get 12 directions where 6 is longer than the others and work like a distance of two over them but that's also the case for the squares so ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FoggyPlanet wrote:
Squares allow you to move in 8 directions from any square. Hexes only allow for 6 directions. Not that it matters in many games, but it could make a difference in some designs. . .
However, if you allow edge movement (where a piece can face a point and then move onto an edge between two hexes) then you get 12 directions of movement. I have seen this a few times.

----------------------------------------------------

As to the original question, I answered something else - basically, it depends on the game. A lot of wargames do well with hex and chit (especially when unit facing and flanking is important), some games do well with area control (Risk, Axis and Allies, War of the Ring), some games are fine with boxes (Descent Journeys in the Dark, Monopoly, Chess, etc), and some are great with point to point (which are really hex or triangle maps used with pieces on the vertices - like the Empire Builder series of rail games, Iron Dragon being my favorite). Some don't need anything (Magic the Gathering, Lord of the Rings LCG, Space Cadet).

Essentially, the type of board representation should be chosen based on the feel it is designed to create in a game - each has its own strength and weakness, and each is quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about triangles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I think witches are sexy *blush*
dboeren wrote:
I agree, by calling squares..."normal" you're biasing the poll.
He's being tautological not biased. By definition squares have to be normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:

He's being tautological not biased. By definition squares have to be normal.
I'm not sure if this is a geometry pun or a colloquial one, but I find it amusing anyway.

Still, I prefer regular hexagons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb