Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game today in which I got the Saber treasure card. The text of that card is:

Keep this card. Each time a player fights a beast, he can use it to temporarily get +3 (skull).

Whan a player uses the saber, that player gets 1 (wound)

Events, adventures or hunting cards that decrease (skull) do not lower the value of the saber.

Now, here's the situation: during the end game I had almost finished the pile when I was attacked by an alligator during the event phase. I used the Saber to get +3 weapon (costing me a wound), but still took two wounds from fighting it. I then had to decrease my weapon level by two points which left my with one health remaining. The next card gave me two wounds which killed me.

Now, my question is whether or not that last sentence on the Saber card means either:

a - this card will always give +3 (skull) or
b - when using this card you do not, as you normally would, reduce the weapon level.

And the reason I think it might should be B is because a temporary increase doesn't normally affect reduction. So it seems like a strange thing to write unless it meant something specific about the sabre.

I'm not sure I would have won since I still had to survive the weather and another event phase. But I had a shot at winning my first game so I would love some input on how to interpret that card.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My instinct is that it means a, like you originally thought. It says that cards do not decrease the value of saber, but says nothing about decreases to your actual weapon level. I think the clarification is because, unlike most items that offer temporary weapons, the saber can be used over and over and over again, so the designer wanted to clarify that it will always give +3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, a temporary weapon level does not count as the weapon level shown on the weapon track.

So when you fight a beast, you should calculate weapon track plus temporary weapon bonuses and if you have to decrease your weapon level, it should always be taken away from the your weapon track.

Same reason you can't use the Saber (or any other temporary weapon bonus) to redeem the "Goat" discovery token. You must have a weapon level (on the weapon track) to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that, yes, most likely it only means that the Saber will always give you +3 if you take a wound and I think that's how I'm gonna play it. But the wording in the last sentence is strange since the basic rules would pretty much cover everything even without that sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls