Subject: When do you take your midgame bonuses? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mikula
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the interesting mechanics in Spyrium is how you get bonuses when you reach certain score milestones. This breaks the mold of the typical engine game where you develop a point generation engine, then use to get points. In Spyrium, getting those first 8 points is part of developing your engine.

I still don't have a handle on the best way to approach this, so I'm curious what everyone else does. Getting those first 8 points is tough -- in the early game it probably takes three actions, and there's so much else that you want to do. Have you had luck driving straight for the 8-point bonus, or do you just let it come when it comes, or something in between?

If I'm working towards a factory strat I'll sometimes buy one of the early workshops to start getting points. That works out pretty well because I can build over the workshop later for a discount. Depending on when the Bureaucrat or the £/spyrium/VP event show up, sometimes I can sneak in the bonus a turn earlier than I otherwise would. But so far my impression is that going out of my way to get the bonus is more detrimental than just working on my point engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always look to get the bonus as quickly as possible. That said, the only time I didn't feel like I was focusing on that too much at the cost of engine acceleration was when I had the factory that turns one worker and one spyrium into 4 VP. With this card I was easily able to get to 8 on the second turn, and kept churning out points steadily such that I didn't need any of the 10/15 VP factories or luxury homes to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I always look to get the bonus as quickly as possible. That said, the only time I didn't feel like I was focusing on that too much at the cost of engine acceleration was when I had the factory that turns one worker and one spyrium into 4 VP. With this card I was easily able to get to 8 on the second turn, and kept churning out points steadily such that I didn't need any of the 10/15 VP factories or luxury homes to win.

How were you churning out points "steadily" with that factory? In general you can only use each factory once per turn, with the occasional exception due to Taylorism and the event similar to Taylorism's effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glitter and Doom
Croatia
flag msg tools
Usually I don't take my first bonus before round 4. In my opinion, it is more important to concentrate on $, spyrium and techniques in the first three rounds. However, I've seen some very strong BGA players trying to get the bonus as soon as they can.

Spyrium is a very well balanced game, so there are many different strategies that work quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.