Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sleeves [+] card_sleeves [+] sleeving [+] [View All]
Rob McCord
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have another question for the people of BGG. I recently bought I few old (and expensive) board games so I want to make sure they stay in good quality. I've never sleeved any of my games. I'd like recommendations on brands and what I should look for.

Recent games:
Star Wars: Queen's Gambit
Fireball Island

Other games that I might want to sleeve:
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Android: Netrunner
Ave Caesar (though the cards in this game are very oddly shaped.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Mayday...

If you like your games and don't want to deal with crappy quality control, invest in better sleeves from FFG or Ultra Pro or the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pugeek wrote:
Not Mayday...

If you like your games and don't want to deal with crappy quality control, invest in better sleeves from FFG or Ultra Pro or the like.
OK, well, here's a log on an old fire....

I like FFG & Ultra Pro, Mayday premiums are fine as well. They take a lot of grief here on BGG, but the only Mayday sleeves that I've had trouble with are the thin ones. I wouldn't use any type of thin or penny sleeve for a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Village fanMicrobadge: The Manhattan Project fanMicrobadge: The Palaces of Carrara fanMicrobadge: DiscordianMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids fan
pugeek wrote:
Not Mayday...

I have used Mayday for a while and have no problem at all with their premium sleeves.

FFG and UltraPro are also good. The little holograms on the UltraPro sleeves are an annoyance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you know what size sleeve you need. Sentinels and Netrunner both use "Magic Size" sleeves (sleeves that can accommodate MTG cards), but that's absolutely not the case for many games. For instance, Dominion uses cards that look similar, but are slightly narrower and slightly taller, and consequently need a different sleeve size. Other games require some really strange sleeve sizes, including giant, tiny, and square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider Swan Panasia thick sleeves to be a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, buy good quality (or premuim) sleeves. Good quality sleeves make it easier to shuffle - you can just divide into two piles and smoosh them together lots of times. Cheap (often referred to as 'penny') sleeves may protect just as well, but shuffling becomes much harder. They are simply not worth it. So either do the job properly, or not at all.

Personally, I use FFG sleeves, but there are enough people about that like other premium makes to feel that any of them will be good enough for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My system:

I use the cheapest sleeves I can find that fit the cards snuggly, often times penny sleeves. If something happens to the sleeve I can always replace it.

A problem that sometimes arises from penny sleeves is that they can be different sizes from batch to batch on occasion. This is easy enough for me to work around as I tend to save the shorter sleeves for a game that doesn't have a bunch of expansions and will not grow in collection size or for a particular character. If you were going to do it for SotM, it would be fine as you could use one pack for each character.

You could opt for the premium sleeves which I do use with games as well. They are a little bit easier to shuffle in my opinion, but it isn't that big a deal to me as I find the penny sleeves easy to shuffle as is. The thing I like about these are they feel thicker and more substantial. The corners are less likely to bend on these.

You will find that if you start sleeving everything, which I tend to do with almost all my games, that it costs quite a bit of money. Money that could have been spent to buy other games. I sleeve my games, because I have little kids and while they are good at keeping my games in good condition most of the times, they are kids and accidents happen.

A problem that arises quite often when you sleeve cards is storage. Often times sleeved cards will not fit back into the original storage space. They also tend to make decks thicker and cards have more of a tendency to slide around on top of one another.

Fantasy Flight list on the back of their games which sleeves you should use if you use their sleeves. I find they make very good sleeves, but at a hefty price.

My advice is try a set of penny sleeves. If it works well enough for you, you will end up saving in the long term on sleeves. If you find that they aren't doing the job, try a premium sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jones
United States
Oakdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what issues people are having with penny sleeves (regardless of company), but I have ONLY used penny sleeves since sleeving board and card game cards and have never had trouble shuffling using the "divide into two and smush together" method. I've also never had any penny sleeves tear, rip, break, or split, and this is true even of my LCG decks that have been sleeved in the same penny sleeves for close to four years now, with multiple shufflings every week.

I chose penny sleeves from the get-go for several reasons. First and foremost, "premium" or "thick" sleeves have the annoying draw back of pulling the bits of ink off the cards they are housing. This, of course, give the cards a "dirty" appearance after some time, and makes the sleeves "cloudy". This might not be much of an issue if rarely shuffle the cards or rarely play the game.

More board game related, but the extra thickness of the sleeves can cause the cards not to fit in their designated spot/slots in the board game tray/division (or worse, the box). Penny sleeved cards may still allow the cards to fit. If not, well, then I guess it doesn't matter.

There is, of course, the issue of cost. Obviously, as above posters has stated, do it right or don't do it at all is very important in all aspects of life in my opinion. For me though, due to the other issues I mentioned, penny sleeves is doing it right. It is much more expensive to go with "premium" sleeves, and with the amount of board games I own and the number of customizable card game decks I make, "premium" card sleeves would be cost prohibitive even if they didn't pull ink from cards. Not only are they more expensive, each "pack" has less sleeves in it than penny sleeves (usually 50 to 80 vs. 100). Also, if a penny sleeve rips, gets dirty, or too worn, it's no biggie to just remove, discard, and replace with a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have sleeved thousands of cards from Dominion, Agricola, and Lord of the Rings: LCG with Mayday sleeves (regular, not premium), and have had minimal problems with them. Less than one defective sleeve per pack, have not had to replace any sleeves yet, and they only cost me about 2 cents per sleeve. No complaints here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My advice is try a set of penny sleeves. If it works well enough for you, you will end up saving in the long term on sleeves. If you find that they aren't doing the job, try a premium sleeve.
I would second this.

I have over 400 games and I sleeve like it's my day job. Anything with cards gets sleeves and they are all penny sleeves.

(Well,odd sizes like TTR or Elder Sign aren't because they don't make penny sleeves in those sizes. But anything close to a standard "MtG" size gets a penny sleeve.)

I buy Ultra-Pro in bulk on eBay and they serve my purposes perfectly.

The only way to be sure is to just try them out yourself. I've got Dominion (all expansions) in penny sleeves and it shuffles just fine. (As do all my cards.)

Drop like a $1.29 at Wal-Mart and see for yourself if they will work for you.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
I have sleeved thousands of cards from Dominion, Agricola, and Lord of the Rings: LCG with Mayday sleeves (regular, not premium), and have had minimal problems with them. Less than one defective sleeve per pack, have not had to replace any sleeves yet, and they only cost me about 2 cents per sleeve. No complaints here!
Agreed, I just recently sleeved all my games with the Mayday "standard sleeves" and have no complaints besides a little inconsistency with the sleeve sizes from batch to batch, but it's minimal. I have no issues shuffling and I personally don't like the added girth that premium sleeves add to the card piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkz wrote:
I have another question for the people of BGG. I recently bought I few old (and expensive) board games so I want to make sure they stay in good quality. I've never sleeved any of my games. I'd like recommendations on brands and what I should look for.

Recent games:
Star Wars: Queen's Gambit
Fireball Island

Other games that I might want to sleeve:
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Android: Netrunner
Ave Caesar (though the cards in this game are very oddly shaped.)
Fireball Island uses 'Standard American' (57x89mm) sleeves - Info here.
Ave Caesar cards are 45x80mm. The best fitting sleeves that I know of for them are Swan PanAsia SWN-008, which are 46 x 80mm. - Info here.
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit also has odd-sized cards. The best fit are Swan PanAsia SWN-016 at 53x75mm, but 'Standard American' (57x89mm) sleeves will work in a pinch. - Info here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls