BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Breaking tie in blind auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a game about mechanic blind auction. Players keep secretly amount of moneys in their hand and reveal it in sametime. Problem that i don't know how to resolve tie situation. I have'nt played many game have this mechanic, so please to give me some ideas, thanks you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
O Zoo Le Mio handles this situation fairly well. There is a separate mechanic that handles tied bids.
A sort of turn-order ladder is used. Of the two (or more) people who have tied, whomever is currently at the 'top' of the ladder wins the tie. That person then falls to the bottom of the ladder.

In the image below, if yellow and blue tied during the bidding, then yellow would win the tie. When the turn is over, the yellow flag moves to the bottom of the flag pole and blue moves up one spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use a tie breaker where there is a marker that passes to the left every round. Any ties are resolved in favor of the player who is closest to the marker in clockwise order.

Assume the players are seated A-B-C-D-E, with A holding the marker and B to A's left, then C, then D, then E. If A is tied with anyone, A wins the auction. If B is tied with anyone other than A, B wins. If C is tied with anyone other than A or B, C wins, and so on.

All you have to do is pass the marker. It's harsher than the above method, but it seems like it might be a little less fiddly than moving just the two people involved in the tie. If you can live with the system not always being perfectly fair based on past auctions, it works well.

(IIRC this is how ties in the once around auctions are resolved in Modern Art, with player A in my example above being the person auctioning the item.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
You could also use a tie breaker where there is a marker that passes to the left every round. Any ties are resolved in favor of the player who is closest to the marker in clockwise order.

Assume the players are seated A-B-C-D-E, with A holding the marker and B to A's left, then C, then D, then E. If A is tied with anyone, A wins the auction. If B is tied with anyone other than A, B wins. If C is tied with anyone other than A or B, C wins, and so on.

All you have to do is pass the marker. It's harsher than the above method, but it seems like it might be a little less fiddly than moving just the two people involved in the tie. If you can live with the system not always being perfectly fair based on past auctions, it works well.

(IIRC this is how ties in the once around auctions are resolved in Modern Art, with player A in my example above being the person auctioning the item.)
Thanks, this method is great, i played Modern Art but don't notice this rules. I'll try to my game, but i don't sure it suit. In my game, tie cases is hard to happen because money is very variety (1 to 40 coins, example). probably it feel trouble to pass marker. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Traveller RPG fanMicrobadge: 1825 fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Wears Hats
Both of the above methods mean that players know in advance who will win ties.

Two other options.

1. In the case of a tie, no one wins.

2. Another round of blind bidding involving the tied players in which they add more to their existing bid, keep bidding until one bids more. The solution to what happens if both players refuse to bid more in Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery is: no one wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also resolve the tie randomly after it is revealed (e.g. by die roll).

Or (depending on your game's component limitations) you could create a copy of the object they are bidding for and let them both buy it for their bid amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the person who is currently worse position wins (if there are victory points/...so you can determine)

noone wins: dependes on the game, maybe there has to be a clear order!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was working on a blind auction recently (abandoned the game for other problems), and I picked the "in ties noone gets it" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Commons
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another option is to place markers in the center of the table labeled 1-4 (or however many players there are). When your bid is ready, take the lowest numbered marker available. Tied bids are awarded to the player that has the lowest number. This makes players hurry to get their bid in early to ensure they will win the auction if they are tied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls