Subject: Is Pandemic your favorite cooperative board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linh Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
If so, why?
And if it isn't, what is your favorite and why?

There are so many cooperative games out there and I
wanted to hear everyone's opinion about the cooperative
games people have already played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, prefer Defenders of the Realm and Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's OK. I find it good with kids and non-gamers (although now it is getting competition from Forbidden Island in this role). With a more gamey group I find Sentinels of the Multiverse to be preferable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Reiner Knizia fanMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: San Diego Padres fanMicrobadge: I'm an old school Dungeon Master
Yes Pandemic is currently my favorite co-op. I'm expecting Freedom: The Underground Railroad shortly, but for now Pandemic holds the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but I prefer Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for me. It was a good game to get me interested in co-ops, but I played it to death.

I'd have to say that Shadows over Camelot and Defenders of the Realm would be my 2 favorite co-ops. Shadows for groups that aren't as experienced and Defenders for more roleplaying/experienced groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Foster
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Favorite? I don't know about favorite. Sometimes it is. I play it often. Sometimes though Mice and Mystics is. Even Castle Panic is way up there.

I do like the mechanics of Pandemic though. The tension of flipping over the infection cards after a few epidemics and all is pretty exciting. I usually play with the purple cubes too. I think the length of the game is just right too.

The only problem I have with Pandemic is that I can usually tell a turn or two ahead of time how it's going to turn out.

Mice and Mystics is good though. I play a lot of Descent with my guy friends and M&M is more for my girlfriend and me. She likes the story and I like the dungeon crawl aspect so it's a happy medium for us.

Castle Panic is just fun. It's easy to teach to those who don't play many games, seldom boring, and not a lot of rules to learn. Just light-hearted fun.

As far as Pandemic being my favorite, it's up there. Win or lose... I usually feel satisfied after playing. It is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven W
Canada
flag msg tools
I love pandemic, but the last two times I have played, we lost because the player could not draw their two cards at the end of their turn... such a lousy way to lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its ok, but I *much* prefer Flashpoint:Fire Rescue. Far more variation from game to game with different maps and roles. Plus the random fire rolls are always tense and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not despite being my first co-op game. My favourites are LotR LCG, Arkham Horror and Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No it isn't.
I prefer Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Arkham Horror.
Mostly because of much more theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
space alert probably edges it for me, but pandemic is up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
coco roco
Moldova
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes the best is pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is great but right now my favorite cooperative game is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Every game of that has been a ton of fun, even though I lose half the time. I love how every character in that game plays very differently from every other character and they all feel like you're running a kick butt superhero. I also like Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game although the set up and takedown time is a bit longer and the gameplay isn't quite as thinky so it doesn't seem to be quite as popular in my groups. Still a great game though.

Third on my list right now is Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. Everybody I've played with likes the game, but it hasn't gotten as much play as I'd like so far. At home I'm playing it on and off solo going through the first adventure path, pacing my characters so that I'll be finished around the time the second path is out. The games's not perfect, it does take a while to shuffle and put out all the different decks, and the scenarios are all kind of similar in a way (mostly) but in the end it's a lot of fun and I love being able to permanently keep building my characters up between missions and the replayability. This game kind of replaced Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game as my solo at home dungeon crawler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG - I worship Zon-KuthonMicrobadge: Triathlon fan - Ironman Finisher
I haven't really considered ranking them but quickly

Zombicide: Prison Outbreak - currently my FOTM, we'll see if it has staying power but I suspect that it does since it has far more potential in terms of variety than any other of my co-op games and it also fills a several gaps in my collection that my other co-ops can't.

Flash point: It's been mentioned several times already. I feel like it has less of an issue in terms of quarterbacking than Pandemic. The game is less predictable since the fire is spread by dice rolling rather than cards that deductions can be made about what will likely be flipped next or just straight up manipulated by roles/event cards. It also feels like there's more variety, though I admit I have not played or even looked at Pandemic: In the Lab to see how much that adds to Pandemic).

Pandemic

Forbidden Desert: I haven't played this game enough yet to decide where exactly on my list I'd like it, though I think this is where it will end up landing. It's a fun game but for some reason I just find Pandemic more satisfying to play and cure the world of disease than collecting stuff to repair a ship.

Atlantis Rising: The last co-op we own. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong, but I think it's way too easy. My group has scrambled trying to find ways to make it more difficult. Searched the forums for common rule mistakes but I found none both on the forums and the rules. We seemed to be playing it right and just found it terribly easy. After adding extra components we needed to build and flipping extra cards we eventually just moved on. Like I said though, still a fun game, but definitely left a bitter taste due to difficulty.

Games I have not played/do not own but would love to:
Ghost Stories: As a follow-up to Atlantis Rising, I like games that are difficult. From everything I've heard about Ghost stories is that it can be brutal. I like the sound of that. I'm not sure where it would fit in comparison to Pandemic.
Shadows Over Camelot/ Battlestar Gallactica: I like BSG more but in terms of time for our main gaming group SoC is 300% more appealing. I'm not just mentioning SoC because it was on Tabletop either. It's been on my wishlist at CSI for quite some time, just haven't had the chance to jump on it yet. I have no idea where either would fit in our collection either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is a really, really good game. Easy to learn, fun, and with lots of replayability. For me, it's an 8, but there are a number of co-ops that are either higher 8's, and one that is a 10.

I slightly prefer Flash Point: Fire Rescue, because it replaces the abstract set collection with thematic pickup-and-deliver (you find victims in the burning house and bring them to safety outside).

Castle Panic WITH the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower expansion is just downright fun. (Without the expansion, CP is too simple for my tastes.) The castle gets destroyed before your eyes. It has more randomness, and I would never argue that it is a better design overall than Pandemic, but based on my few plays so far, I think I enjoy it more.

Legends of Andor is a brilliant design, although I can understand why a lot of folks don't love it. For me, there is such a rich world within the box, and having played several times (but only 2 scenarios so far), we have only seen a small portion of it. I am really looking forward to exploring more.

Lord of the Rings (from WAY back in 2001) remains a great game. It's a mix of thematic and abstract, and it can be swingy, but it's still a lot of fun. Another Knizia design, with some similarities, is Star Trek: Expeditions. It's not perfect, but it does evoke a lot of memories of the Star Trek series. I just wish a second scenario was available.

My wife and I really enjoy Witch of Salem, perhaps because the theme itself (Lovecraft/Cthulhu) is more fun than diseases. The mechanisms, although very euro, again seem less abstract than Pandemic. I can't even explain exactly why we enjoy it so much, but it gets a very high 8 from me.

But my favorite (and my wife's too) is the misunderstood Vanished Planet. The resource cards are fiddly, and the events and goals are swingy, BUT every game is tense and exciting, and the theme is a classic sci-fi story. And it's nowhere near as fiddly as many detractors claim. The mechanisms are unlike any game I have seen, and after 39 plays, it is the only game I rate a 10.

Those are just my opinions, of course, and I totally understand why different people prefer different co-ops. You have to look at what you like about games, and what you don't. Do you like controlled randomness, or dicefests? Do you enjoy push-your-luck? Are you bothered by fiddly games, or by games that are "too simple"? Do you want a 30-minute romp or a 4-hour slog?

I maintain the following, as an objective list of all the pure co-ops I am aware of (that can be played by 2p): PeakHope's list of cooperative games up to 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Pandemic remains my favourite - and I'd love if it could be adapted to another theme - maybe something sci-fi. I guess Forbidden Island & Forbidden Desert are adaptations but the former is a bit too simple, and haven't played the latter.

Next for me comes the D&D Adventure System games, Space Hulk Death Angel (which I usually play solo) and perhaps also the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

But Pandemic wins for me because it is quick to set up, quick to play and is always exciting - never a dull game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
Microbadge: Patchwork fanMicrobadge: AndMicrobadge: Elfenroads fanMicrobadge: rightMicrobadge: I'm a morning person!
I checked my list and I have 19 co-ops. Obviously I like them a lot.

Yes Pandemic is still my favorite. I like that it scales by adding or removing epidemic cards, I like the variability of roles, I like the other options (mutant virus/harder epidemics etc). I demo'd it about 5 times on "table top day" at our FLGS and enjoyed teaching it too. I recently repurchased the base game just to have a complete set with the new in the lab option - which I think is a lot of fun. Not harder just different.

Shadows over Camelot is great - I like the traitor option. It doesn't have any scaling of difficulty and seems pretty much the same every time. I'm happy to play it but just not as often.

I like Ghost Stories a lot but it is just too hard to win so most do not want to play it.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is awesome but really complicated so harder to win and get to the table than Pandemic. I've not played many of the scenarios, it it too early to review.

Elder Sign is fun - too slow with large groups. Hardly sees play anymore after it's initial plays.

Forbidden Island- just a simple version of Pandemic. A great gateway but since I have both.

Forbidden Desert is awesome. Similar in feel to the others but different at the same time. I've enjoyed it but again it is so new it is hard to determine its long time viability.

Sentinels of the Multiverse (I own everything for this). I always enjoy playing. Best super hero card game IMHO but still just good. I like that everyone's deck really is their own.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- great game. This is probably my second favorite. I think is more accessible to others, easier to play. The board options and role options keep things fresh. Still haven't played in a while with all the other choices.

Legends of Andor - I like the look and play of this game. I think the way game introduces rules as you play is interesting but doesn't work with my group. I often play with new folks so I feel like we need to start over at the beginning scenario every time. If I played with a constant group regularly the games growth over time would be good. Not played a lot but it is solid.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is silly fun. Only good in co-op mode.

Room 25 - too new to comment on - I think the competitive mode was better than co-op.

Link to my co-ops and ratings below:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&advsea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is my current favorite. It's much more engaging and feels less programmatic (and more fair to the players while still being tough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
"Okay...who flushed the Mobius Tubes?"
badge
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's Ghost Stories. Yes, it's difficult (I believe I've only won 1 game out of 8 at present) but every game has me on the edge of my seat. Plus the theme, beautiful components and quick play time make it really easy to love.

"We really shook the pillars of Heaven, didn't we, Wang?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably, but lets see what what I'm saying by the time I hit post submit.

I enjoy Agents of SMERSH more, but that is more of a "do what you want, just don't fail", plus it is long.

Sentinels of the Multiverse feels like it could be, but I don't have a copy yet, and it is a bit fiddly; plus it doesn't have a board so some might call it a card game.

While I like to play it at certain times, the dice make Flash Point: Fire Rescue too random for favorite.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is like Poker; the game written in the rules is awful, and the real game you're playing would be much better without the detractions of the "game" you are playing.

So while I want to say no, because there must be something better out there, at the moment -- Yes Pandemic is my favorite co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but it is the game that really got me into cooperative games. My trouble with it is that, from the perspective of the players against the game, you can almost consider the game to be another player that is working against you. With Pandemic, that player is pretty good at defeating us, but also somewhat cold and calculating. This is why my favorite right now is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. The gobs of theme in this one turn that "other player" from a calculating, methodical jerk to an ass that is constantly messing with you for his own pleasure, then laughs at your misfortunes. I find he's a little more fun to be around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Washburn
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Hanabi quite a bit, and I consider it about tied with Flash Point and Castle Panic (but only with the Wizard Tower Expansion)...

I definitely like it better than some, like Ghost Stories and Shadows over Camelot...

I confess I haven't tried some of the ones listed here Defenders or Crusoe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Yes it is my favourite cooperative board game.

I think it's the most elegent and unique of all those I've played (pretty much everything except Hanabi).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Pandemic is great but right now my favorite cooperative game is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Every game of that has been a ton of fun, even though I lose half the time. I love how every character in that game plays very differently from every other character and they all feel like you're running a kick butt superhero.
I agree with this comment! Pandemic is probably my number two game, Ghost Stories is number three, and Shadows over Camelot as four (though I expect this one to go up the more I play it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |