Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Why is STAW "not compatible" with other Flight Path games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I briefly played one game of X-Wing a while back, but other than that, Star Trek is the only Flight Path game I've played, so I'm not certain why, exactly, everyone says it's not compatible with the other games. I mean, it may not exactly make very much sense for Star Trek's capitol ships to be battling Star Wars's one-man fighter craft, but is there any mechanical reason why it wouldn't work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloaking?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially it's the points. Each game is balanced for it's own system. So a 30 cost ship in Attack Wing might be a 40 or 20 point ship in X-Wing.

Also in AW you have disabled effects which have no counterpart in XW.

I think conversions could be made, but the systems don't mesh perfectly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few matches playing Star Wars vs Star Trek and it works fine. Yes there are different abilties between the two, but that's no biggie (other than the fact that cloakinf awesome). The point scale seems to favour the Star Trek ships slightly, but so much that the Star Wars ships can't win (out of 9 Trek vs. Wars matches I have seen so far, Star Wars won 3 of them).

I think the real reason that they are officially not compatible is purely for licensing reasons. I don't think Lucasarts and Paramount want their franchises to be playable with each other. It was probably part of the licensing deal for the game system when Fantasy Flight licensed it to Wizkids.

PS. It is worth noting that the movement templates for the two games are slightly different. I read that this was done to ensure the lack of compatibility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out last night that the Trek bases are slightly larger as well. The width of of both are the same where you place the movement template, but the overall width of the Trek bases extend out to where the SW "guide bumps" are...if any of that makes sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Long
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Why would you want to mix? Totally different games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Longy wrote:
Why would you want to mix? Totally different games.
I don't get how people can say 'totally different games'. Really?


slightly different sure. But they are way too similar for anyone to realistically say totally different. :p
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone wants to take their Star Wars sstarfighters against my Klingon battle cruisers I'll gladly oblige them and just be happy to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chargers

Janesville
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WakandaMan wrote:
I think the real reason that they are officially not compatible is purely for licensing reasons. I don't think Lucasarts and Paramount want their franchises to be playable with each other. It was probably part of the licensing deal for the game system when Fantasy Flight licensed it to Wizkids.
That is my guess also. SW/ST reminds me a LOT about when HeroClix was first released. Marvel and DC "were not compatible games." Yeah, right. After a couple years, the two comic companies relented and now it's mix and match.


WakandaMan wrote:
PS. It is worth noting that the movement templates for the two games are slightly different. I read that this was done to ensure the lack of compatibility.
As for the templates being different, that seems like a non-issue to me and a flimsy excuse for 'non-compatible.' So the ships move a little differently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The games can be played together and people who want to can choose to do so. Personally, that is just too theme breaking for me. To me, it would be like putting car wars cars and trikes on the board as well or maybe some generic counters with these properties on the board to make an abstract game. You can but why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, basically, they weren't designed/intended to be mashed together like that, but try it and see! I'm sure I've seen photos posted of the two games mixed together on one table by other players.

I wouldn't be surprised if FFG does a another Flight Path game for capital ships for Star Wars. And then it's just one short jump to...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and when the BSG version of the game comes out from another publisher, the question will be asked all over again.

Cylon base ship vs Death Star vs Borg cube

Make it so
So say we all
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance Gardener wrote:
and when the BSG version of the game comes out from another publisher, the question will be asked all over again.
Pleeeeeeeaaaase do lol

FFG does have the licensing for the BSG board games. Although, I doubt there would be enough variety in the BSG ships to make it very worthwhile. Theoretically, you'd be looking at 7 Vipers (Mk 1-7), 2 Raptors (regular and assault), Blackbird, Cylon Raider, Cylon Heavy Raider, Scar, and the big ships (Battlestars, Cylon base ship, etc). All the weapons upgrades would be essentially the same. The only real variety would be in the pilots.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance Gardener wrote:
and when the BSG Babylon 5 version of the game comes out from another publisher, the question will be asked all over again.

Cylon base ship B5 vs Death Star vs Borg cube
Corrected that for you. B5 White Stars and all the race/ship diversity of B5 would be great. Actually I might prefer the B5 Universe for FlightPath gaming over Star Trek, maybe, assuming B5 was based on the capital ships. The fighters could be represented by card properties or tokens...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
FFG does have the licensing for the BSG board games. Although, I doubt there would be enough variety in the BSG ships to make it very worthwhile. Theoretically, you'd be looking at 7 Vipers (Mk 1-7), 2 Raptors (regular and assault), Blackbird, Cylon Raider, Cylon Heavy Raider, Scar, and the big ships (Battlestars, Cylon base ship, etc). All the weapons upgrades would be essentially the same. The only real variety would be in the pilots.
So, just like Star Wars then?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance Gardener wrote:

Make it so
So say we all
May the Force be with you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Clone Wars fan - Ahsoka TanoMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Steven Universe fan
Bwian wrote:
drscottkelly wrote:
FFG does have the licensing for the BSG board games. Although, I doubt there would be enough variety in the BSG ships to make it very worthwhile. Theoretically, you'd be looking at 7 Vipers (Mk 1-7), 2 Raptors (regular and assault), Blackbird, Cylon Raider, Cylon Heavy Raider, Scar, and the big ships (Battlestars, Cylon base ship, etc). All the weapons upgrades would be essentially the same. The only real variety would be in the pilots.
So, just like Star Wars then? :p :D
I would hope if they did BSG they'd focus on capital ship combat, with squads of fighters as units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Long
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Different scale. Different thematic universe. Different style of play.

The games just break if you put them together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
Chance Gardener wrote:
and when the BSG version of the game comes out from another publisher, the question will be asked all over again.
Pleeeeeeeaaaase do lol

FFG does have the licensing for the BSG board games. Although, I doubt there would be enough variety in the BSG ships to make it very worthwhile. Theoretically, you'd be looking at 7 Vipers (Mk 1-7), 2 Raptors (regular and assault), Blackbird, Cylon Raider, Cylon Heavy Raider, Scar, and the big ships (Battlestars, Cylon base ship, etc). All the weapons upgrades would be essentially the same. The only real variety would be in the pilots.
I would really like to see a BSG game, but I agree that there isn't enough ships to draw from so it might make things more difficult. What might work is "borrowing" from Attack Wing and making pilots separate like captains. Or just sell a big box that comes with everything. I'd be up for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Avatar
Microbadge: Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers fanMicrobadge: Disney fanMicrobadge: LEGO fanMicrobadge: Girl Genius fanMicrobadge: TSR fan - (1982-1991)
Heck, I'd take them just producing the models of an original series BSG viper and raider with all the same mechanics/stats/cards as an x-wing and tie fighter, just renamed.

I'd probably buy a half dozen vipers and a dozen raiders without blinking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Big box with everything for a battle, and then supplements for expanding # of ships (no extra cards) would be nice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls