Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
I've played through the game once, and I only have a few questions though I can really only think of one now.

The magical monsters all have 2 different checks on them--Combat and Wisdom or Divine or both, but then they say that the check has to have the magical trait to actually defeat it. Does that mean that the Wisdom/Divine check automatically has the magical trait? If it doesn't, why in the world would you pick that option as the Combat check is only a couple of points higher? Did I just answer my own question?

Oh here is another one, why are there so few animal allies in the game? Poor Lini gets to pick either 2 Crows and 1 Dog or vise versa, and there are only 2 Snakes and 1 Tiger (which she is pictured with btw at least Amiri's Greatsword isn't the best weapon by far like that Tiger is) in the base set (forgot to check BO). Neither the Crow or Dog actually helps in combat either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I love redheadsMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fan
For the first, if you do suck at combat, then it's possible to fend off the creature, take no damage, and it goes away for someone else, possibly better at combat and that has the magic trait to defeat permanently later.

As far as the second, animal allies can help in combat with her special ability, regardless of what the animal's card says it does. And concerning there being so few, as you said, the animal allies do relatively little overall, but she benefits from them greatly. Since other characters do not gain much benefit from them, there's no need for a lot of them to be in the game, because if any other character finds one, and Lini's in the party, they'll most likely hand over the ally to help out Lini. However, all of the other allies can also help out Lini to great effect as well as the other heroes.

So, there's just less need for animal allies at this point.

There may be (prolly will be) others added in the future, so keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Trombone fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fan
Isn't she pictured with her snow leopard companion Droogami?

External image

I'm very surprised Droogami isn't in the base set (maybe too powerful). Hopefully it will appear soon. Don't forget the Saber-toothed Tiger that comes with the C deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Fields of Fire fanMicrobadge: Thunderbolt Apache Leader fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
Going off the character sheets Droogami isn't in Rise of the Runelords at all. They may release something outside the Adventure Path that includes him though, hope to see that kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I love redheadsMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fan
Also, just to be fair, if you want to consider that Lini is the one gaining most of the benefit for animal allies, there are 7 of them out of the 45 allies. That's about 15.6% of the allies. Lini, herself, makes up only 9.1% of the 11 heroes. So a lot more of the allies set are geared towards helping her out specifically than any other character.

If there were more animal allies in the deck and fewer of the others, we'd end up with people complaining that 'there's too many useless animal allies and we don't even use Lini in our group!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Game DesignerMicrobadge: Retailer
Useless animals? For me, the Crow is one of the best basic allies in the game (for any character) and the Sabre Tooth Tiger is very handy too!

In answer to the OP - if you go for the Wisdom version of the check then it's not going to have the Magic trait so you were 'wise enough to avoid trouble' but did not banish the bane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
Microbadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: I love New ZealandMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek Veteran
kysmart wrote:
The magical monsters all have 2 different checks on them--Combat and Wisdom or Divine or both, but then they say that the check has to have the magical trait to actually defeat it. Does that mean that the Wisdom/Divine check automatically has the magical trait? If it doesn't, why in the world would you pick that option as the Combat check is only a couple of points higher? Did I just answer my own question?
If you are Kyra, you can still add your +1d8 with the magic trait even when using Wisdom. So Kyra can kill incorporeal undead that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I feel nobody has really answered the first question. Those skills do NOT automatically have the magical trait. You are going to need to use a weapon, spell, power, etc that gives you that trait. Remember, according to the current FAQ, only cards played during step 1 of a check grant you their traits. So allies and items played during step 3 of the check, would not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
mostman79 wrote:
I feel nobody has really answered the first question. Those skills do NOT automatically have the magical trait. You are going to need to use a weapon, spell, power, etc that gives you that trait. Remember, according to the current FAQ, only cards played during step 1 of a check grant you their traits. So allies and items played during step 3 of the check, would not.
Thanks for pointing that out. So, again, I don't understand why anyone would ever do the non-combat check on those. And on Kyra, that would work, but it seems like a waste to add something to several cards that is going to apply to only 1 character.

And on Lini, sorry I got my big cats confused. Oh, and yes, the Crow is an awesome card as it is very useful for its ability and can discard to explore. I kept it with Harsk all through the entire campaign over the archer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Well - what if I have no card in my hand that helps with combat but my base Wisdom is a d10. Add to that the fact that I might have an Ally that will boost a wisdom check. In that case, no way am I doing combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
If that happens, you're playing the game really, really poorly. Sure, it could happen, but you're in serious trouble if you reach that point because a long-shot combat role where you lose your very limited hand vs trying just shuffle it back into the location deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Or I'm Ezrin and combat is not my thing and I have no weapons or spells in my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls