United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
-----------------------------
Moved:
New Chit Chat
-----------------------------

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but it's worth a try. I've gotten to know quite a bit of you outside PBF through IRC and other means, but there's more I haven't, and I still think you are pretty cool. Why not an off topic chit chat thread? Also a good way for those who don't get to play as much to still hang out with the community.

Anyway. Back in PBF 38 - The Warehouse - Round 5, we got off topic a bit and starting talking about the Beatles. We brought up favorite songs.

I just remembered that my favorite song is "Here Comes the Sun".

Also, I saw Gravity tonight. It was really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
mb
I think it's a great idea, Caitlin. Everyone introduce yourselves! I'll start.

I'm Shawna. I'm 25, but my birthday is in a few days. I live in Louisville. And we pronounce it Luhl-vull, not Lou-E-Ville or Lou-a-Ville. I assume locals started pronouncing it differently back in the day when most didn't have teeth.

I work in finance with the University of Louisville. Go Cards!
I have two cats that are each adorable and well behaved.
The thought of actual children makes me have a panic attack.
My three favorite games are Hanabi, 7 Wonders, and Terra Mystica.
My favorite Beatles song is Let It Be.
Besides gaming, I'm also obsessed with geography. I hope to travel to every continent eventually. I may settle for a fly-over with Antarctica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
shawnad2006 wrote:
I'm Shawna. I'm 25, but my birthday is in a few days. I live in Louisville. And we pronounce it Luhl-vull, not Lou-E-Ville or Lou-a-Ville. I assume locals started pronouncing it differently back in the day when most didn't have teeth.
I thought if you put a vowel in it, you were doing it wrong. "Llvlll."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
shawnad2006 wrote:
I thought if you put a vowel in it, you were doing it wrong. "Llvlll."
Yeah that is what I have heard. I don't actually know anyone from Llvlll though.

7 Wonders is among my favorites as well, though I especially enjoy other card games like Eminent Domain andRace for the Galaxy.

Other party games I enjoy are Dixit and we started playing GiftTRAP which is pretty good. I was the only one that wanted it in the recent trade I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite Beatles song is You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) but I can nerd out about The Beatles for a long time and tell you my favourite from each album and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
before joining up with the 2R1B PBF community I mostly played traditional Euros. I'm a big fan of Richard Breese, Uwe Rosenberg and Stefan Feld. Some of my favorite games are Mü, Tichu, Reef Encounter, Terra Mystica, and The Speicherstadt.

I enjoy most trick-taking games, whether traditional (Hearts, Spades) or layered and weird (Four Dragons is a favorite of mine as well as the aforementioned Mü.) I also really like the idea of 2-player abstracts (GIPF project) but pretty much never play them as I don't have regular opponents for them.

2R1B has really changed how I game. Now I try harder to get to game nights with more than 12 people attending, and I am much more of a "pusher" now, rather than someone who just sits at a table and waits for someone to pull out the latest Euro they found on Kickstarter or padded their CSI order with to get free shipping. I also teamed up with Clyde to host regular 2R1B nights in the area during the summer.

It has given me a bit of an identity crisis because there was no way you'd ever catch me playing Werewolf or Shadow Hunters, the two games I hear 2R1B most often compared to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
But you like Resistance, right Alan?

Alan, we should play Reef Encounter sometime! (PS EMME IT IS BEST WITH 3!)

I'm Clyde and I like most types of games, from super heavy euros to war games that don't involve fighting, to party games to card games, even acting games like Freeze (which I keep trying to convince Don Eskridge to create more of). I love the hidden roles games like 2R1B and Werewolf as well.

When I am not playing games, I am trying to convince all of the dancers and actors I know to play games with me, but that's a tougher challenge, so instead we dance and act together.

Just yesterday, I increased the set of People Two Play 2R1B PBFs I've Met IRL by one, when I met up with VikingJ and played Android: Netrunner (I continued my streak of teaching the game so well that the player I just taught could beat me) and Kingdom Builder. I've now met lots of PBFers, including Alan, Emme, Cait, Erin, Demo, Lauren (COME BACK!), Brady, and probably others who I'm forgetting because, as everyone here knows about me, I have the worst memory ever.

I am currently taking a wonderful forced vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
clydeiii wrote:
It's true, I like Resistance a lot. But isn't Resistance marketed as "the social deduction game that it's OK for Euro fans to like without destroying their cube-pushing street cred?!"

Also about the Beatles, I haven't really dove into their catalog but would have to say my favorite song of theirs is I Want You (She's So Heavy.) To me, if a song is shorter than 3 minutes, it's more like a jingle, 3/4 is the new 4/4 and 13/8 is the new 3/4. I'm pretty excited to see Between the Buried and Me perform The Parallax II: Future Sequence in its entirety in a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Next trip: Rathcon! Boomers & Friends reunite!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clyde, BTW, I ended up buying Mu (not Mu and More - that was an accident, oops) and Criminals after playing them with you

My favorite Beatles album is Rubber Soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite Beatles song: Helter Skelter; favorite album, Live at the BBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm Neil. Hi! I'm an undergrad studying computer science. In my spare time (haha), I do amateur theater (mostly acting). That combination keeps me extraordinarily busy, at least during the school year.

I used to play a lot of Euros, and once a while I still get out and do just that, but these days I've been playing a lot of party games. I like the way the human element adds a ton of depth to these games without requiring massive sets of rules. I evangelize Avalon pretty much any chance I get, and I look forward to being able to do the same with 2R1B. Everyone around me is a little nerdy, so these sort of games are usually an easy sell, and people pick up the strategy fast.

Favorite Beatles song: I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Favorite Beatles album: Revolver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
Love is YOU
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
It's true, I like Resistance a lot. But isn't Resistance marketed as "the social deduction game that it's OK for Euro fans to like without destroying their cube-pushing street cred?!"
The Resistance is "Mafia/Werewolf without player elimination". It's also easier to teach, and I prefer villager more in The Resistance and in off-forum 2R1B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I'm Sean - my favorite Beatles song is I'm So Tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot.

I'm Caitlin, and I'm not a hussy as many may think.

About a month ago, I moved to Portland, OR from Memphis, TN. So far we are loving it here. I'm typing this right now while laying in a park.

My first week here, I taught 2R1B to a group of over thirty people in a bar. It was insane, but they loved it.

Hmm. What else? I have three cats, but I'm going to guess that they are way more mischievous than Shawna's. I maintain a geeklist of pictures of them in boxes: Caitlin's Cats in Boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am 34, I live in NY with my girlfriend and work for a very large tech company that shall remain nameless. While it does block out a lot of sites while I am spending vast sums of time there, fortunately BBG is not one of them. Thus allowing me to keep up with my 2R&B or Resistance games during the week.

At my core I am actually a war gamer and a role player. However I will pretty much play everything from Euro's to Deck builders to Wargames to the Resistance to Arkham Horror or more cooperative games. I tend to win a lot, to such a degree that my friends made up shirts that claim I "cheat". I am also addicted to Paradox Entertainment games (Crusader Kings, EU, Victoria, etc) and used to write AAR's on their forum.

I have a dog, but she lives with my father in Florida because my apartment doesn't allow pets.

My favorite beatles song is either: Come Together or Yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
How'd you get 30 people in the bar interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
Hello. I am 34, I live in NY with my girlfriend and work for a very large tech company that shall remain nameless. While it does block out a lot of sites while I am spending vast sums of time there, fortunately BBG is not one of them. Thus allowing me to keep up with my 2R&B or Resistance games during the week.

At my core I am actually a war gamer and a role player. However I will pretty much play everything from Euro's to Deck builders to Wargames to the Resistance to Arkham Horror or more cooperative games. I tend to win a lot, to such a degree that my friends made up shirts that claim I "cheat". I am also addicted to Paradox Entertainment games (Crusader Kings, EU, Victoria, etc) and used to write AAR's on their forum.

I have a dog, but she lives with my father in Florida because my apartment doesn't allow pets.

My favorite beatles song is either: Come Together or Yesterday.
WTF you're not Italian!?!??!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Not Italian. I actually have zero Italian ancestry. However, I did visit Italy (including Florence) and I have read all of Niccolo Machiavelli's works (not just the Prince).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
...but...but...when I read your posts, they're written in an Italian accent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
...but...but...when I read your posts, they're written in an Italian accent!
Mi hai preso. Ho mentito. Io sono in realtà un filosofo fiorentino. Io parlo con un accento italiano scandaloso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpQfss0Sko&oref=http%3A%2F%2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edna Lindebury
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
"I don't flirt. I just say what I want." -JJ
badge
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." -Cordelia
mbmbmbmbmb
My name's Erin like the username says, not what the name says (I grew fond of my Sherlock name and haven't been able to change it since the game). I recently moved from Michigan to Ohio to attend Ohio State for grad school. I'll be studying sexual selection in Prairie Chickens and likely how coloration relates to mate choice (but I haven't officially figured out my project yet). Though I've been fortunate enough not to have to teach for my first year and have had a pretty light course load, I still haven't found it in my schedule to have time for PBFing, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to come back in a somewhat regular capacity soon!

I like tons of different types of games (Caitlin will be more than happy to attest to this). Euros, party games, thematic ones. Social D/hidden roles is definitely a favorite. Since moving to Ohio with my cat a large chunk of my social life has revolved around board games and I couldn't be happier. The CABS group and library is spoiling me and that along with the general area has made me very happy for the couple months I've been here.

Not to make you guys grab the pitchforks or anything, but I might be one of the few people in the world that doesn't really listen to the Beatles so all of my favorites are just going to be their most popular hits and I don't know that I can really pick one.

P.S. If anyone at all plans on coming to Origins this year, let me know!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErintheRed wrote:
Not to make you guys grab the pitchforks or anything, but I might be one of the few people in the world that doesn't really listen to the Beatles so all of my favorites are just going to be their most popular hits and I don't know that I can really pick one.
I'm actually the same way. I only know a handful of the popular songs. But I do know I really really do not like "Hey Jude".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Duran
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. My name is Steven and I'm an undergrad in Computer Science at California State University - Fresno. I play a bit of everything from 2RaaB(unfortunately not a lot in person) to Through the Ages to Cosmic Encounter. Apart from board games I like to hike and ride my bike. My favorite Beatles song is Eleanor Rigby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Sander and I'm a chemist molecular biologist biochemist immunochemist immunologist, working on a project where we try to unravel how the memory of the immune system works. Why you don't get the same (infectious) disease twice, stuff like that.

I'm living with my adorable girlfriend in a apartment, but we've bought a house that is almost ready. We hope to move somewhere in January. Pretty exciting, even though it eats away a lot of time (and even more money). I'm very lucky to have found a girl who also likes gaming, we play a lot of coop games (Pandemic, Mice & Mystics, LotR LCG) but also a few of the not-incredibly-difficult competitive games like Ticket to Ride, Smallworld or Race for the Galaxy.

My taste in music goes everywhere, including Beatles, I do like Blackbird a lot. I am also always attracted to Norwegian Wood even though the lyrics are a bit weird.

But even more than music I do love books. One of the best reads of this year is Blindness by Saramago (if you can stand a book without quotation marks or proper nouns), but I have countless favourites over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Next trip: Rathcon! Boomers & Friends reunite!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saramago is one of the few authors who omits quotation marks that I will still read (the last book I put down, "NW", was for that reason - well, that and some other things, but the writing style was so sloppy).

If you liked "Blindness" then you might like one of Saramago's later novels, "All the Names". That one is so poetic about loneliness that it almost hurts. I had to stop myself from racing to the end. Whereas with "Blindness", it started out so strong and then lost a lot of steam towards the end ... (don't even get me started on the ending)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [238] |