Cthulhu Wars» Forums » News

Subject: A look at the CW game tokens at Boing Boing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cthulhu [+] preview [+] kickstarter [+] Fencon [+] [View All]
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu For President!Microbadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!
Looking darn good.

http://boingboing.net/2013/10/04/astounding-game-tokens-from...

The high rez pics are at Cory Doctorow's Flickr:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/doctorow/tags/cthulhuwars/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
Microbadge: 'blank'Microbadge:  Microbadge: 99 Flake loverMicrobadge: #F5F5FF fanMicrobadge:
The game itself doesn't interest me, but the miniatures do look good.

Would be nice if you could buy these prepainted, like the FFG Arkham Horror miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: The Pogues fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: ShadespireMicrobadge: Warhammer 40k Kill Team fan
Hot damn! You know how long I've been waiting to see a decent shot of the King in Yellow sculpt?
Well, just as long as the rest of you, but I guarantee it seemed longer. These are probably the best looking BG components I've ever seen. I'm still amazed that I have yet to feel buyer's remorse about throwing $500+ at this sucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Dogs of War fanMicrobadge: Stone Age fanMicrobadge: Dresden Files RPG fan - Harry's Pentacle protects me
macgowan wrote:
Hot damn! You know how long I've been waiting to see a decent shot of the King in Yellow sculpt?
This. A thousand times, this.

I have wanted a really good KIY picture since I saw the kickstarter. It is, hands down, my favorite of the concept arts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: BeardedGameGeek 2015 participantMicrobadge: VegetarianMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fan
I am so lucky that i backed this game...okey just cultist but also the cultist is getting sooo much nice stuff!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xbjoernx wrote:
I am so lucky that i backed this game...okey just cultist but also the cultist is getting sooo much nice stuff!!!!!!!
+1

I'll hopefully get to play this in Essen, can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
Microbadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on KickstarterMicrobadge: Dune fan
king in yellow- just wish he wasnt such a large sculpt though, hes supposed to be around human size isnt he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: Rising Sun fanMicrobadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Emergent Games "Fireteam Zero" Contest participant
gorkel wrote:
king in yellow- just wish he wasnt such a large sculpt though, hes supposed to be around human size isnt he?
He's a Great Old One. Having the King of Yellow be human size wouldn't really make sense, design wise at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Jack Vance fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Quote:
He's a Great Old One. Having the King of Yellow be human size wouldn't really make sense, design wise at least.
That was exactly the sentiment. He's smaller than every other faction specific GOO, but still bigger than the human sized units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
Microbadge: Letters from Whitechapel fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Yellow SignMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: I backed Kingdom Death: Monster on KickstarterMicrobadge: Dune fan
but it doesnt make sense when using the models for other games also i thoguht he was more of a herald than a goo, Hastur is the goo, same with dagon and hydra they arent goos either. But are for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Microbadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game PublisherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
Yeah it bugs me a little that he is big BUT he is not as big as he seems. He has a large base that helps him be taller, and I think he might be levitating under those tatters. Anyway as I work it out, he is at least 7 feet tall from toes to pate which is not totally inhuman, though he is obviously a good basketball player.

In the game he is technically a Great Old One, but he behaves quite differently, and is treated differently by other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: We are GrantMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Jack Vance fanMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
He's not treated differently when he screams into your town and gobbles up a cultist before you can react!

There was a game at Fencon between two noobs which was really exciting because the guy who played Yellow Sign literally just marched down each turn of his using screaming dead and then capture cultist all at once. He did this three consecutive turns in a row when Cthulhu had virtually no power left (having just awakened Cthulhu). This took a full THREE gates from Cthulhu, and didn't even give them to Yellow Sign (he was just on a rampage, he didn't take the time to get them for himself). It was amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Smash Up fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Golden Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: Latter-day Saint
I have not read any King in Yellow stories, but I know that Nyarlathotep (and presumably others) can appear in human size and form, though that is not his real form. Perhaps it's the same with the King in Yellow, so it's OK that we see him larger than life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls