Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
US 7th Infantry Regiment -- "Damn Fine Soldiers, Cottonbalers by God!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the US Congress has granted me some unpaid vacation time I am putting it to good use to really learn the BoH system. I'm pretty comfortable with the infantry rules after playing through four or five different BoH and S&B scenarios, and turned to ordnance yesterday with Chef du Pont -- what a challenge for the US paratroopers and Glider troops!

My questions are:

1. Do ordnance weapons have a smoke number like the MMCs/SMCs?

2. If not, why?

Apologies if I missed a discussion here on BGG but I was unsuccessful in locating a previous one that answered my questions, or in finding any mention of ordnance smoke in the rules after poring over them a couple of times. It sure would have been useful for the Americans to be able to place some 60mm mortar smoke to obscure the German 7.5cm infantry gun's LoS down the bridge.

I'm finding I really like this system and am coming to prefer it over ASL, ATS, and Combat Commander!

Thanks,

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordinance is only given smoke ability by scenario special rules(SSR).
So, in general, no you can't use smoke with ordinance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find a reference to artillery delivered smoke, however V3 of the rules say that a hex under an on board mortar FFE or an off board artillery FFE is (for LOS purposes) treated as being degrading terrain. Normal rules apply so more than two such hexes would block LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off-board Artillery/Mortar only fire Smoke if a Smoke fire mission is listed in the OOB.

On the Board, only MMCs can attempt to lay smoke (7.0), not SMCs btw. Weapon Teams are considered to be a MMC (1.1). Thus any WT can lay smoke. OFT WTs can't fire the smoke to any hex they want, of course, just adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
US 7th Infantry Regiment -- "Damn Fine Soldiers, Cottonbalers by God!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, good to know I didn't miss something in the rules. I can live with vehicle and WT ordnance smoke availability limited to the SSRs. None of the accounts that I have read about Chef du Pont indicate that a 60mm mortar WT smoke capability was considered/used or even possible given the wet/soft ground caused by the flooding of the Merderet. Again, many thanks and now on to AFVs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
normsmith wrote:
Can't find a reference to artillery delivered smoke, however V3 of the rules say that a hex under an on board mortar FFE or an off board artillery FFE is (for LOS purposes) treated as being degrading terrain. Normal rules apply so more than two such hexes would block LOS.
IF smoke is layed via ordinance, it falls under smoke rules not ordinance style fire, you do not treat it as degrading. It is block per smoke rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kev, I was highlighting that in the absence of smoke, ordinary HE (via a FFE) can be used to degrade vision (i.e. as a side effect of it's use).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ahh I thought you meant the effect was degrading. Or at least on first read I thought you meant that.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought I was playing smoke wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you're out of work. But glad you're putting the time to good use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls