Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the weapons have the following common format:

"you may additionally discard this card to add another 1d4"

Do you have to decide to discard for the extra die roll initially or can you wait to sacrifice the card after all the other dice are rolled?

My gut tells me that you have to go "all in" from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your gut is right. You have to commit first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always play everything you want to affect the roll first, then do the roll. To the best of my knowledge, the Luckstone is the only card that is able to affect a roll after the fact, apart from some that might let you reroll, but these are all exception that clearly state so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the Luckstone...
You've got the essence right. Here's a way to phrase it that might help:

With the cards seen so far, the Luckstone is the only card that affects *other* card/power/etc rolls. There are other cards that have effects after the roll, but those effects all come from the card that's making/enabling the roll beforehand.

For example, weapons with Reach generally allow for an optional re-roll at a cost, if you used the weapon to enable the original roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, always create the dice pool first, its in the rules for making a check.

This does make me wonder about some of the finer points of timing though. Let's take Lini's ability as an example (I believe this is correct timing).

For whatever reason Lini has a weapon. She reveals it for its bonus. After it has returned to her hand she discards it to change her strength to d10.

Or same concept with Amiri; reveal weapon, bury same weapon to gain an additional d10.

Reveal states that it is returned to hand immediately after revealing so I am pretty confident the timing on that is correct but never hurts to ask around (without creating a new thread especially).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Sather wrote:
Yes, always create the dice pool first, its in the rules for making a check.

This does make me wonder about some of the finer points of timing though. Let's take Lini's ability as an example (I believe this is correct timing).

For whatever reason Lini has a weapon. She reveals it for its bonus. After it has returned to her hand she discards it to change her strength to d10.

Or same concept with Amiri; reveal weapon, bury same weapon to gain an additional d10.

Reveal states that it is returned to hand immediately after revealing so I am pretty confident the timing on that is correct but never hurts to ask around (without creating a new thread especially).
This is no problem. Powers where you have to reveal a card then put the card back into your hand so you can then use it for something else. The only restriction is that you can play each power once and only one card of each type.

Your examples are all fine.

Also Lini could, for example, reveal a Crow to get +1d4 (using one of her powers) then discard the same Crow to change her STRENGTH to 1d10 (using another power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls