Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Jehn
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
Hello,

I like playing board games. Sadly my girlfriend isn't really into such stuff and so I'm looking for a game that she might like.
It should have:
- a playtime longer than 30 minutes
- a playtime shorter than 2 1/2 hours
- no fighting (for example: she definitly didn't like war of the rings)
- player interaction (for example: 7 wonders is a nice game but everyone plays for himself)
- it must be available in germany
- no or few possibility to destroy things the other player has already acomplished
- it would be nice if the game could be played with more than two players

Until now I wasn't able to find such a game but I thought it would be a good idea to ask here.
Maybe someone will know

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look no further than Thurn and Taxis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
Belfort
Pandemic

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic might be a great choice and (but?) is cooperative (meaning you 2, or more, against the game).

I like, Thurn and Taxis but there isn't much player interaction...
Other games that I find fulfill you needs but DON'T have much player interaction are:
Carcassonne
Blue Moon City
Ticket to Ride(Europe or not)
Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Jehn
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions.
We already played Thurn and Thaxis und both found it a bit boring. I can't remember why because it's been a while.
Is Agricola a game with much interaction? I thought it would kind a like 7 wonders.
Belfort seems quite good. I'll show her when she comes home.
Pandemic is also a good option. I think we might try it but the amazon reviews in germany often say that it becomes boring quickly.

Some more suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stone age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Blue Moon City as well. I don't agree that there's no interaction. In fact, the idea of BMC is that you're rebuilding a city but the person who gets there first or does more gets more rewards. There's a substantial benefit to working on a particular building but allowing the other player(s) to finish them because you'll get the major reward while making them spend effort on completing the building.

The artwork is quite fantastical, so if this is a turn off for her, you might want to try something else.

I'll also recommend Ingenious. While it's a abstract game, it's an easy to understand and fun abstract that appeals to non-gamers; we've taught the game to some non-gamer friends. And it has the benefit of scaling from 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of coops...

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

...is great, too!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato
Takenoko
Seasons
Ghost Stories
Galaxy Trucker
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo is a good one, so long as you use the Geisha (more forgiving) rules and agree to play nice before-hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can tell you is that Lords of Waterdeep is my girlfriends favorite game and satisfies your requirements I believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find it easier to slip in "board gaming" in the form of a card game.

Take a look at:
San Juan
Innovation
Race for the Galaxy
Lost Cities
Saint Petersburg

Or more thematic options like:
Takenoko
Tokaido

Some old stand-bys (in addition to some that have already been said):
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Jambo
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until she shows interest.
Then choose the game that seems interesting to her.
Everything else spells disaster.

Otherwise:
- Carcassonne is so cheap and widespread in Germany that even if it won't click it won't be a big thing.
- Check party games, which admitedly start at 4 people and up - Dixit or Time's Up (you can make your own edition, which is more fun - check rules for Celebrities, the public domain version).
- Cooperative games also should work if you leave her room to do what she wants. Pandemic is ok. Hanabi is again dirt cheap (6.5 eur in Karstadt - I've just returned from Germany). It's short but, ehm, so what.
- Catan is out of the question (needs 3-4 players)

This is recommending on basis of some generalisations. We could be more helpful if we know also this:
- Theme? Are there some themes that are taboo? (Like fantasy, sci-fi, ...). And theme that interest her?
- Complexity. You gave desired length of the game, but not how much rules can she stomach. For instance I'd keep the hell away from Belfort with anyone but hardcore euro gamer. (I'm not, so I keep...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Jehn
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
To specifiy my problem:
We already played games together like Tikal, Carcasonne, 7 Wonders, Dixit but I'd like to play something more complex with her. For example I like games like War of the Ring, Twillight Struggle or Warhammer Invasion.
And now my struggle is to find a game that is more complex than those mentioned above but not so complex like War of the Ring.

She says every scenario is ok but she would prefer a science fiction scenario or steam punk and we both don't like manga/anime settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Virco
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is a decent step up in complexity (esp. in the beginning, it takes a game or two to 'get' it). And it fits your requirements, except for the player interaction, which is extremely subtle.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Jehn
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
Oh and she just said that she was very fond Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zutn wrote:
To specifiy my problem:
We already played games together like Tikal, Carcasonne, 7 Wonders, Dixit but I'd like to play something more complex with her. For example I like games like War of the Ring, Twillight Struggle or Warhammer Invasion.
Welcome to your lifelong struggle. Best of luck, and when you find this perfect game, please be sure to let us know! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for a new girlfriend? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Jehn
Germany
Darmstadt
Hessen
flag msg tools
kergenramirez wrote:
Time for a new girlfriend? devil

I'd rather keep on trying to find a good game.
Not playing war of the ring is her only flaw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
January 30th, 2020 on Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife is a non gamer but loves Adventure of D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zutn wrote:
Oh and she just said that she was very fond Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game.
Maybe Claustrophobia would be to her liking? It is purely two-player and quite confrontational, though.

Or Gears of War: The Board Game, which is cooperative.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zutn wrote:
To specifiy my problem:
And now my struggle is to find a game that is more complex than those mentioned above but not so complex like War of the Ring..
Hm, I don't foresee a happy ending.

You want to play heavy confrontational games, but she doesn't want confrontation in games. But I don't think heavy nonconfrontational games will satisfy you. And heavy games are such - they're either very interactive (fighting) or not at all. So it's also a question what kind of heavy games with no fighting would you tolerate at all.

There are simple confrontational games similar to one you listed (Claustrophobia, Summoner Wars - I managed to convince my GF about this one), but they're confrontational. Maybe Andoid Netrunner - haven't played it, but I think that while conformational there's no actual fighting involved.

Co-ops with fighting might be the best solution as they can be complex, yet they're always "interactive" (you plan together)
Mage Knight Board Game is usually suggested as 2 player heavy and thematic game.
For me it's Arkham Horror (3 hours, but good theme). Then there are Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games, though I wasn't so crazy about them.
There are some other ideas of co-ops that I'm not familiar with, but check them out (Gears of War seem to fir)

And then the newest darling of heavy co-op genre: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

EDIT: also Defenders of the Realm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is a decent step up in complexity (esp. in the beginning, it takes a game or two to 'get' it). And it fits your requirements, except for the player interaction, which is extremely subtle.

Bye
Thanee
This is our favorite. It is deep and complex enough where i never get bored, but simple and fast enough that my wife always wants to play it.

She also likes core worlds and eclipse.

I would also recommend manhattan project over lords of waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Keyflower. It plays in about an hour for two, but can play up to six in about two hours. Each player is building their own village, but the opportunities to thwart your opponent(s) are many. Nothing gets destroyed except your (and everyone else's) best laid plans. It's readily available in Germany. This is an amazing game with so much going on. It's quite cutthroat however, so beware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |