Hide
7 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Tribal Survival a Quick Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Arowx
msg tools
Hi there I'm an indie game developer and I have just developed a simple hex based strategy game called Tribal Survival.

The core concepts I initially wanted to get into the game were resource depletion, population grow, conflict, pollution and climate change.

But the current alpha version currently only has population grown and resource depletion.

I've built the game in Unity3d and put the alpha up on Kongregate http://www.kongregate.com/games/Arowx/tribal-survival

I'd be interested to get your feedback on the game and the games mechancis.

Next post the games design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Arowx
msg tools
The Games Design or Rules Set

It's multiplayer 2-6 players taking turns.

The hex based map has Sea/Desert/Land and Mountain tiles on an 8x8 hex grid.

Sea and Land (Blue/Green) tiles provide food or the Bio resource (+1 combat) this renews
Desert tiles (Yellow) provide the Oil resource (+2 combat).
Mountain tiles (Gray) provide the Metal resource (+3 combat).

Ideally the game is played with stackable pieces, and each player starts with a 3 stack or Tribe and can place them on any land tile.

The computer game has a fog of war mechanic, but this could be simulated on a board game with 2 sided hex tiles that are turned over, or players could use the battleship technique of having their own maps and maybe a GM to oversee that the maps match up.

The resources available on each tile are rolled on a D6 as the tile is explored.

So each turn the player:

Depletes the food Resource on their tiles by 1 for every 3 tribe members.
If there is not enough food or the player is on a Mountain or Desert Tile they lose one tribe member.

Move each Tribe 1 hex.
Grow their Tribe +1 tribe member/piece added to stack (uses 1 bio resource).
Harvest a resource on their tile(or tooling up, see below).
Spawn a Sub Tribe on a neighbouring Hex (half the tribe members).

If you move onto another players tile you are attacking them, roll 1D6 for each piece/tribe member (tribes who have harvested resource tools/weapons see above). The highest roll or equal rolls survive, the lower dies.

If you stay on the tile the battle continues. If multiple players are on the tile then the same combat rules apply but for all combatants.

Harvesting Tools is a stepwise process, any tribe can harvest the Bio toolset from land or sea tiles. But you need the Bio toolset (+1 combat) to harvest the Oil toolset (+2 combat) from the desert tiles and then you can harvest the Metal toolset (+3 combat).

Once all players have had their turns a 1D6 is rolled for each Bio resource tile.
If it still has 1+ resources left on a 3+ a +1 resource is added.
If it has no resources left only on a 6 will a new resource be added.

The last tribe standing is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Arowx
msg tools
So those are the rules, really quite simple a hex grid, stackable pieces and a D6.

But what do you think?

How could it be improved/enhanced? For instance it still does not have a pollution or climate change mechanic, which could be fun as it could change the balance of power in the game.

Or does that fact that travelling over the sea is as easy as the land prevent a sea level rise mechanic from having any impact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play this but my computer refuses to let unity actually work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Arowx
msg tools
To play the game you need the current Unity Webplayer, which you can get from here http://unity3d.com/webplayer

If you're not sure go to the above link and it should tell you if you have the latest version.

Or you could just setup an 8x8 hex grid and some counters and follow the above rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Arowx
msg tools
The game has been updated to include characters as pieces.

Click image to try the game online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Moved from DIY to Computer Based Board Gaming

You should get more responses here. DIY is more for creating physical board game accessories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls