Subject: cubes....really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Gilbert
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
I'm interested in this subject and game. But cubes....really....cubes are thematic if you're playing a game about hauling freight but are theme killers in a game like this. Stackable counters with figures representing the look of the various parties or their symbols would really have been something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
budrou wrote:
I'm interested in this subject and game. But cubes....really....cubes are thematic if you're playing a game about hauling freight but are theme killers in a game like this. Stackable counters with figures representing the look of the various parties would really have been something.
Clearly a deal breaker for you. You shouldn't buy it, there is nothing else to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gilbert
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
I think there's less analysis in your response then you think there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helps with area control counting, though. And what about those cute hexagonal cylinders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of pieces though, and the board can only be so big - even as it is there are a couple of overflow areas for when a province gets really packed - with figures etc. it would be far worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this yet, but I like wooden bits in my games and would be less likely to buy this if it didn't have any. One of the selling points for me for Labyrinth was the embossed hexagonal jihadist "cylinders." They are classy and functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has both cubes and cylinders and in my opinion the aesthetics are excellent. Only requires a little bit of imagination on your part for it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 1817 fanMicrobadge: 1822: The Railways of Great Britain fan!Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Australian Shepherd lover
budrou wrote:
I'm interested in this subject and game. But cubes....really....cubes are thematic if you're playing a game about hauling freight but are theme killers in a game like this. Stackable counters with figures representing the look of the various parties or their symbols would really have been something.
*shrug* Cubes are easy to handle. I like them actually, but I am sure you are not only one that feels this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Atlantic readerMicrobadge: I create Vassal modulesMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: The owls are not what they seem...Microbadge: Frasier fan
And so can a request for plastic minis be far behind ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
budrou wrote:
Stackable counters with figures representing the look of the various parties or their symbols would really have been something.
Have you seen a physical COIN game in action?

Because you do not want to count counters and run a game like this with tweezers.

You'll also note that the traditional planning tables of years gone by used... wooden blocks.

Btw, the "green" side in all games does differ in its wooden graphics. As do the actual information counters supplied with each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo wrote:
budrou wrote:
I'm interested in this subject and game. But cubes....really....cubes are thematic if you're playing a game about hauling freight but are theme killers in a game like this. Stackable counters with figures representing the look of the various parties would really have been something.
Clearly a deal breaker for you. You shouldn't buy it, there is nothing else to consider.
I agree with this terse rebuttal. It speaks volumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
They tried spheres but they wouldn't stay in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Tee
msg tools
Hmmm...i was thinking of using plastic army figures. the pieces in the old CIVILIZATION game could come in handy but one would need lots of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fanMicrobadge: Pax Transhumanity fanMicrobadge: Crusader Kings II fan - DEUS VULT!Microbadge: Elder Sign Protected!
There is one problem with plastic figures - they have price x2 modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
budrou wrote:
I'm interested in this subject and game. But cubes....really....cubes...
And what by the way could be more thematic than this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gilbert
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
LOL...exactly. Now this speaks volumes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
Microbadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fanMicrobadge: ConsimWorldMicrobadge: CoolStuff Inc fanMicrobadge: Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls