Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chamorro
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I have a few doubts about the relation between Major Powers and Minor Allies and what Major Powers can do.

Can they send freely forces to any of these Minor allies, either its own forces or minor's forces?

Two examples:
.- Germany does not conquer Warsaw in the first turn. Can England send Polish forces in its Force Pool back to the city paying its cost?

.- Germany attacks Denmark and destroy the only Danish Corp, that is on the frontier, so German Armies can't reach Copenhagen. Can England send back the Danish Corp to the capital? or can England send its own Corps to defend Denmark?

Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Arrighi
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would refer to the designer or developer for official interpretations.

My understanding of the rules is:

Quote:
- Germany does not conquer Warsaw in the first turn. Can England send Polish forces in its Force Pool back to the city paying its cost?

While technically, yes, but generally this will not be possible. UK (England) may rebuild Polish units, at the UK's expense if the units are able to placed in Poland. Any Polish units built by the UK would have to be placed in a Polish controlled city in Poland and this requires in continental Europe then a rail line from this port to a city in Poland. Since Danzig is not a port, in game terms, no route is available for the UK to place the unit in Poland (see rule 16.1.4, second paragraph).

The path on land must be via a rail line, so using a port in France is possible only if there were a rail line from the French port to a Polish city, all hexes controlled by the Allied side. If that were to happen then likely Germany would be in very big trouble.

Quote:
- Germany attacks Denmark and destroy the only Danish Corp, that is on the frontier, so German Armies can't reach Copenhagen. Can England send back the Danish Corp to the capital?
Since in Copenhagen is a port, then the UK may rebuild a Danish corps and trace a path from an English port, say London, to Copenhagen, and then the Danish corps would be placed in Copenhagen.

The lesson is when attacking Denmark is to have the Parachute infantry corps available to drop into Copenhagen. While an amphibious invasion may not enter a a capital, no such restriction is mentioned in section 12.5 (Parachute Infantry).

Quote:
- or can England send its own Corps to defend Denmark?

Yes, Denmark will only be conquered when all its MSP cities are controlled by the enemy and that is only 1 city, Copenhagen. As the UK (or France, allied player's choice) is allied with Denmark, due to the German DoW. There would be no restriction on France sending troops, either.

The UK may use naval transport to move a unit from a friendly port with a fleet to another friendly port, in this case, Copenhagen. Of course, this would be subject to convoy interception if the Germans have fleets or subs deployed in relevant sea areas. Also, the UK (or France) may invade a hex in Denmark or even invade at Danzig, if they were willing to risk the fleets.

Of course, to undertake naval invasion or transport, the corps and fleet must begin the turn in the same port. Naval transport occurs during the movement phase.

Note, I have been incorrect regarding my reading of the rules; so, I would consider these advisory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anchamo wrote:
Hi, I have a few doubts about the relation between Major Powers and Minor Allies and what Major Powers can do.

Can they send freely forces to any of these Minor allies, either its own forces or minor's forces?

Two examples:
.- Germany does not conquer Warsaw in the first turn. Can England send Polish forces in its Force Pool back to the city paying its cost?
Yes, and any units bought would be placed in a city in Poland within normal stacking limits.

Quote:

.- Germany attacks Denmark and destroy the only Danish Corp, that is on the frontier, so German Armies can't reach Copenhagen. Can England send back the Danish Corp to the capital? or can England send its own Corps to defend Denmark?

Thank you very much

Yes, they could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DHolte wrote:
anchamo wrote:

Two examples:
Yes, and any units bought would be placed in a city in Poland within normal stacking limits.
Dan, are you sure about this? That is not what the RAW states, as nicely diagrammed by Michael, above. 16.1.4 seems quite clear on this:

"An active allied Minor Nation’s corps may also be purchased
by the player’s nation, however they must trace a path via rail
or port-to-port from a city or port in the player’s Major Power
nation to a city or port in the minor country
. Expend the base
level cost (no Technology) of the corps and place the unit normally, in a city of that Minor Nation." (emphasis added).

Seems that without that trace, Polish units could not be built. Is this the intent, or do we need to tweak the wording in 16.1.4?

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, that is correct.

That was a change made quite some time ago during playtesting over the last couple of years; I forgot about it.

An unfortunate side effect of not having the ability to play since early this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For a country with a port in supply trace, you just pay and place it.

Of course, in some cases you're just tossing away MSP. But then again, at times it might be worth causing a slight delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls