Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sod all, it's the game play that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme means nothing to me. It is ALWAYS pasted on.

Other terms apply to addressing a topic correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A good game with a bad theme (Rex) is still a good game.

A bad game with a good theme (Nero) is still a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jvdv wrote:
What does Theme in a board game do for you?
Theme provides a convenient source of nouns and verbs to use to explain a game to a new player. After that it is quite properly ignored and forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jvdv wrote:
What does Theme in a board game do for you?
Theme provides a convenient source of nouns and verbs to use to explain a game to a new player. After that it is quite properly ignored and forgotten.
I say that on an onoing basis it can help provide a framework for remembering how all those nouns move and interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Theme a lot. I enjoy narrative and immersion in most of the media I consume (from board and video games to books to movies, etc). If the theme is boring or feels "pasted on" (or, worse, actually seems at odds with some of the mechanics), I just can't get into it. I definately base my game purchases on whether I like/enjoy the theme.

Though I guess I like abstract games (Go, for example), but I think "no theme" is something that can also be done well or badly. It's a bit of a weird example, but I can imagine not liking a rebranded Chess set where all the rules were reworded to be "thematic", if I had never played the game before. ("Why does Scooby-Doo only move diagonally?" etc).
qrux wrote:

But I'll still play a bad game with a good theme at least once, usually twice.

I won't play a good game with a bad theme more than once.
~

I'd like to ask people to give examples of good game/bad theme, or bad theme/good game. I'm curious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme draws me in and gets me excited. Mechanics make me stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The general value of topic for me is that it gives (by derivation) a strong hint as to the attitude of the game, specifically where it sits on the balance of subjective experience and intellectual engagement. ie how serious the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
Microbadge: Gaming is best soloMicrobadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: SoloCon attendeeMicrobadge: Solo EurogamerMicrobadge: I'm a solo player, got that?
charlest wrote:
Ditto. I go for historic themes, especially ancient history. But mechanics has just as much to say. Give me an ancient civilization game any day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
a good theme can help me relate to the mechanisms

a thinly related theme doesn't stop me from enjoying the game

a theme I dislike will indeed stop me from even bothering to investigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
Microbadge: Caffeine loverMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I Can Has Cheezburger?Microbadge: Waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (I'm prepared)Microbadge: Ooh, shiny!
I play games for escapism. Theme gets me in the correct mindset.

If I were role-playing more, I'd play less themed boardgames. If you are just playing a game for raw points... eh... it'd better be a GREAT game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme is one of the most important things in a game for me. An okay game with a good theme is a good game to me. A good game with an okay theme is an okay game to me.

It has to be a theme I'm interested in, but the theme will usually sell the game for me. I can overlook some bad rules/mechanics if the theme is good enough (besides, there's always houserules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qrux wrote:

I'd agree with the latter (I don't think anybody actually seriously claims that they'd play a game for theme alone).

But the former is a substandard game in my book. Good mechanics with good theme is a good game. A game that fails to implement both competently isn't as good as that.

Note that I'm not including abstracts in this. Choosing not to implement a theme is a very different thing then doing so poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great when one of my geekbuddies opens a good discussion.

I'd say first there are two different things:
1) What is the theme in a specific boardgame meant to do? What is it's function?
2) What kind of investement in theme do I desire as a player?
When these two click, there's a great gaming session for me, but there's many options.

1. What's the theme there to do:
Theme and graphic design and illustration tend to go hand in hand as in many cases they're trying to accomplish the same task.

A) In every game it tries to do this: interest you in buying the game and maybe also playing it, but mostly the former. This is an emotional part of product to customer communication which is so commonplace in current consumer society we often forget it's there. Everything that gets you emotionally exited without even playing the game fits here: minis, minis and more minis, "gorgeous" illustrations, attractive theme and so on.
J Mays (head of Ford's design department): »Design is nothing more than a communications tool. To bend the sheet metal in such a way that it communicates the values of the brand and pulls the customers in, makes them reach in their wallet, pull out the money and pay for the car./.../ They ask me if kinetic design has a function, yes a function of kinetic design is to put a smile on your face"

B) In euros or at least in the best type of euros as far as theme integration goes theme is used together with graphic design as a part of user's interface. The function of user interface is to make the game easier to learn and easy to play. In graphic design means easy to read information which can be at odds with demands for emotional response (lavish illustrations). In theme this means going for intuitive angle making a link between how the game works and something from real world. Ideal response from gamers would be "yes, this makes sense". In Power Grid for example the flow of the game is intuitive (buy power plant, buy fuel, build network, burn the fuel in power plants to supply the network and get money) which makes game easy to get into relative to how complex it actually is.

C) Allowing investment in the game, usually narrative or emotional investment(which is different from A which is getting emotional response). There are many levels of this, from having a sense of progression (dramaturgy) in a game, to owning a faction or building something to offering full thematic immersion. In full immersion the game will use either narrative (more textual and based on actions) or atmosphere (more visual and emotive) to create an environment in which a player can feel or imagine a story in their mind. The narrative part of it works similar to reading a book where you're investing by filling in blanks. The emotional part is there to support this by giving you tangible material to work with.
This level demands a player that know how to and is interested in investing in a game in such a way.
(There are also games about social investment, but these are not so linked to the theme, so I skipped them).

2. What I want from a game in relation to theme.

I'm a specific gamer. I have professional deformation. Namely I'm an active audience - I can't really watch mainstream films or go into theatre as I can't be force fed, either I'm bored or I feel I'm emotionally manipulated (the main type of investment in realistic theatre/film is emotional identification with protagonist(s) and I'm not into doing this). I prefer media where I am allowed (and often required) to make investment in the "reception" process which becomes more of a dialogue. Contemporary theatre, dance and also literature allow me this.

Problem is when it comes to games: my mind is so versed in making trains of thought and associations which are required from audience in contemporary art that I'm doing this spontaneously. The problem arises is when my mind encounters something that makes no sense. I don't mind games with no theme (even if they're pictured to have one, but are basically abstracts), but if a game attempts a theme and it will make no sense in relation to gameplay or how it feels to play the game, my mind become thoroughly agitated and upset. It's like believing you found a being able of communication only to realise the damn machine does not communicate.

I don't need a game to have a theme, especially if the game is very socially interactive, yet I can't play a game with bad theme implementation (where theme makes no sense).

Added: As far as theme goes, I don't mind what the theme is as long as it's implemented well. Farming? No problem. Corrupting human kind? No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
This statement is pferde-apfels in extremis...saying it enough times may convince yourself but it doesn't make it true.

My design for Snowdonia STARTED with reading about the physical thing and its history and spawned design critera to reflect the whole story:
- I needed a weather system to reflect Welsh weather (rain, some sun and fog)
- Teams of workers
- Trains to help transport men and materials to the latest 'bit'
- the speed of construction overall (72 days for 4 miles of track...on the side of a Welsh mountain!)

The solution, in game mechanic terms, were
- integrating random weather, with some advance knowledge, into the main system
- worker placement (obvs) AND the semi-cooperative nature of play reflecting the teams working together to complete the railway
- Trains you could build and use for 'free/extra' actions
- the Event system that means the game plays itself if the players stall/hold on to stuff thus keeping the pace going
..and a whole bunch of other bits and pieces.

Theme is the genesis of this game, NOT an abstract system for which I needed to find a pseudo match for. I know whereof I speak in this matter and I'm also humble enough to know that I'm not the FIRST person to design a game this way nor will I be the last.

(breathes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
It far more interesting to question what does the theme do. What does it produce?

For instance a very abstracted game like Modern Art. The game is just 5 types of auctions with some partnerships forming every round. The theme is actually just put on top, yet it creates something more than just the sum of parts. I'm talking about the original theme which I find fits the mechanics best - buying and selling contemporary ("modern") art. With this theme the game functions as a sort of social commentary or sarcasm as it's a wide spread attitude that nobody understands what is the value of contemporary art - the game's play supports this a the value of pieces are player generated (what sells more is valued more which also a neat tautology and a commentary on free market). As many editions and even more home made version have proven the game can work with any theme (that's about auctioning something that can be collected in sets) with no problems, yet it's the modern art theme that creates something more. And that's interested. Even if (or precisely because) it's pasted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put, theme is an essential component for me to truly enjoy a non abstract game. I've sold more than one game for either failing to design mechanics that complement the theme or had nothing whatsover to do with it's theme.

Despite my preferences, large numbers of folks disagree. Consequently poorly themed games continue to claim market share. Richly themed games get produced. Life goes on and the markets operate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
without an interesting theme then I am just efficiently pushing cubes of wood around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tonyboydell wrote:
calandale wrote:
This statement is pferde-apfels in extremis...saying it enough times may convince yourself but it doesn't make it true.
It doesn't make it false either.

Quote:
My design for Snowdonia STARTED with reading about the physical thing and its history and spawned design critera to reflect the whole story:
Most of my designs start with an abstract problem. Mechanisms came next and theme comes (and came) fifth or seventeenth or thirty fourth or something and is tossed out and replaced as often as necessary to suit whatever the game has currently evolved to.

Quote:
I know whereof I speak in this matter and I'm also humble enough to know that I'm not the FIRST person to design a game this way nor will I be the last.
Not everyone designs games that way. I'm glad you do, but I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sgosaric wrote:
calandale wrote:
It far more interesting to question what does the theme do. What does it produce?
Convenient nouns and verbs to use when learning or explaining the game. Theme assists initial intellectual digestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
What does Topic in a board game do for you?, I asked the question.
Topic justifies complexity. Unless a game is simulating something,
to some degree, I prefer my games to be simple. But, topic weakly
applied (as euros tend to), or worse, inappropriately linked to
the mechanisms of play is totally worthless to me. I want to be
able to obtain some sort of understanding of the topic through
playing the game - not out of any 'betterment', but because I
want a story which holds up to my skepticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
qrux wrote:

I'd agree with the latter (I don't think anybody actually seriously claims that they'd play a game for theme alone).
I will (sometimes) work my ass off trying to fix (or complete) a broken
design based upon its subject matter. So yes, as you use theme, I would
say I've done this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
jvdv wrote:
I am curious: What does Theme in a board game do for you?
Apart from avoiding obfuscated mathematical language to explain the rules of a game (which in all likelihood all but a few people would not understand), absolutely nothing. Basically in agreement with JC (and Enrico, after having sat through his... topical... lecture featuring a recalcitrant pipe).

Were I to treat the subject as something to immerse myself in, I very, very quickly run into the problem that my imagination is more extensive than that of the designer, and thus curtailed. Even with RPGs this would at some point become an issue, because most RPGs are—as I understand it—gauntlet runs set out by the DM. The result is that I simply don't bother exercising my imagination when playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
calandale wrote:
Obviously, you didn't bother to watch the supporting argument.

The word is misused here. That simple.
Quote:

- I needed a weather system to reflect Welsh weather (rain, some sun and fog)
- Teams of workers
- Trains to help transport men and materials to the latest 'bit'
- the speed of construction overall (72 days for 4 miles of track...on the side of a Welsh mountain!)

The solution, in game mechanic terms, were
- integrating random weather, with some advance knowledge, into the main system
- worker placement (obvs) AND the semi-cooperative nature of play reflecting the teams working together to complete the railway
- Trains you could build and use for 'free/extra' actions
- the Event system that means the game plays itself if the players stall/hold on to stuff thus keeping the pace going
..and a whole bunch of other bits and pieces.

Sounds like you were designing to a topic. Nothing to do with theme.

Quote:
Theme is the genesis of this game
Misuse of the word. Again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
For those cranky misanthropes who think theme is pointless, here's a choice for you:

Choice A:
The listed numeric modifiers of small half-inch cardboard square #1, added to a d6 die-roll, will be compared to the listed numeric modifiers of small half-inch cardboard square #2, both being modified by the inherently assigned values of hexagonally bordered map-portion #552.

Choice B:
John Bell Hood attacks Strong Vincent at Little Round Top.

So which will it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |