3 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opening doors and exploring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
To open doors I have to stand adjacent to one and reveal or unlock it right. Lets say I reveal an unlocked door so I remove the marker, do I get to move into the door square to explore or do I have to stay in place and draw an encounter since Im not on an unexplored edge??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having that very same question playing the game with a 4.75-year-old. Since we aren't using the Encounter cards (yet) I wasn't worrying about it, but I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be an Explore phase since you are not right next to the edge of the tile. Not unless that's a secret power you've got. In this case, yes, you WOULD automatically get an encounter card, which is kinda what you'd expect opening a door into an unknown section of the dungeon.

That being said, I'd need to re-read the rule book to find out if it says that doors STOP movement or if they are PART of movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: World of Warcraft fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
p. 15:

Quote:
A Hero that is in a square adjacent to a Closed Door token can try to open the door. Reveal what type of door it is by turning over the token. There are 3 types of doors:
✦ Unlocked: When you reveal an Unlocked Door, discard the Closed Door token.
✦ Trapped: When you reveal a Trapped Door, each Hero adjacent to the Closed Door token immediately takes 1 damage. Then discard the Closed Door token.
✦ Locked: When you reveal a Locked Door, place the face-up token back on the Dungeon Tile. While a Hero is adjacent to a Locked Door, he or she can attempt to unlock the door instead of attacking. If you roll a 10 or higher, you unlock the door. Discard the Closed Door token.
From reading this, trying to open a door does not require an action, but unlocking a locked door does. So as long as the door is not locked you can open it during the middle of your movement as well as before or after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls