Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Happy Saturday, y'all.

I would like to run something by everyone to confirm the combat turn we just had for Lini was played correctly...

She flipped over a Shadow at the Desecrated Vault.

For her combat check, we rolled the following:

d4 from Valeros (he's at the location too)
Revealed the Snake ally for a d4
+3 from Strength spell
Discarded a card for a d10 on Strength (instead of a d4)
Blessing of the Gods for an additional d10???

Our stumper was since Lini went into Bear form, does that Blessing of the Gods make it two d10. Or, should it have been d10 (animal form) + d4 original strength from the BOG.

Also, could we have discarded that Snake for another d4? Don't think so since she's not wielding a weapon for melee but thought I would ask that too.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ben (and Abby)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
It looks correct to me. The blessing would give you a d10 since that is your strength since Lini discarded a card for her power.

I agree the snake cannot be discarded since you do not have the melee trait.

Your check does not have the magic trait so you cannot defeat the shadow though you will not take any damage if you roll a 13 or higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Mundane wrote:
Your check does not have the magic trait so you cannot defeat the shadow though you will not take any damage if you roll a 13 or higher.
The strength spell made it a magic attack though, right?

Side note: with alllllll those dice Abby rolled 2's on each d10 and 1's on each d4. There was lots of eye rolling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
bendbuddy wrote:
Mundane wrote:
The strength spell made it a magic attack though, right?

Side note: with alllllll those dice Abby rolled 2's on each d10 and 1's on each d4. There was lots of eye rolling
No. It does not. Only skills/powers/spells used in Step 1 of the check provide their traits. See item 8 here:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q7r0?Some-Thoughts-After-1500-P...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
The designer has clarified that cards that give you bonuses to a check do not give you any traits. Cards that establish the check (weapons, attack spells, etc.) do give you their traits.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Hi Mike,

Yeah - I just noticed that when I was comparing the Strength card to the Amulet of Mighty Fists (which has "with the Magic trait" in the text.

The Shadow is my least favorite enemy.

Thanks for confirming.

Ben (and Abby)

Side Note II: Turned out there were TWO Shadows in that same location deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Mundane wrote:
The designer has clarified that cards that give you bonuses to a check do not give you any traits. Cards that establish the check (weapons, attack spells, etc.) do give you their traits.

ninja
Ugh you lost me on that last note. It sounds like you're saying that the Strength spell does give the Magic trait.

Sorry in advanced for being so dense on this.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
bendbuddy wrote:
Mundane wrote:

ninja
Ugh you lost me on that last note. It sounds like you're saying that the Strength spell does give the Magic trait.

Sorry in advanced for being so dense on this.

Ben
Strength is giving you a bonus to the check so no traits. It is not establishing the check since it does not have the phrase, "For your combat check."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
bendbuddy wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yeah - I just noticed that when I was comparing the Strength card to the Amulet of Mighty Fists (which has "with the Magic trait" in the text.

The Shadow is my least favorite enemy.

Thanks for confirming.

Ben (and Abby)

Side Note II: Turned out there were TWO Shadows in that same location deck!
This is a great observation on the Fists. Now, connecting the dots, without that text, it would not add the magic trait given it's a card played during step 3 of the check and not step 1. Even though it has the magic trait. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Yep! Sooooooo darn helpful. Thanks, guys!

Yeash - I'm not really digging that Snake Ally for Lini she rarely has a weapon (Valeros doesn't like to share).

What allies do to guys give Lini in her starting hand?

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Microbadge: Fan of The Last Hundred YardsMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Pacific fanMicrobadge: Chad Jensen fanMicrobadge: In Memoriam: Chad Jensen
For what it's worth, it might be more helpful to think through it starting with the base die you're going to use for the check.

Thus, d4 upped to a d10 with Lini's power
+ d4 for her other power
+d4 for Valeros
+d10 for the Blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Game DesignerMicrobadge: Retailer
bendbuddy wrote:
Yep! Sooooooo darn helpful. Thanks, guys!

Yeash - I'm not really digging that Snake Ally for Lini she rarely has a weapon (Valeros doesn't like to share).

What allies do to guys give Lini in her starting hand?

Ben
You can't start with the snake since it's not a basic ally.

I usually start her with two crows and a dog, then hope to upgrade the dog to a sabre tooth and maybe one crow to a toad through exploration. The snake isn't much use to her - unless one of her allies gives her a weapon... (hint!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Malacandra wrote:
For what it's worth, it might be more helpful to think through it starting with the base die you're going to use for the check.
Yep - you're totally right. Thanks for that tip, Mark. I'll start to get into that mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
boardgamemonster wrote:

You can't start with the snake since it's not a basic ally.

I usually start her with two crows and a dog, then hope to upgrade the dog to a sabre tooth and maybe one crow to a toad through exploration. The snake isn't much use to her - unless one of her allies gives her a weapon... (hint!)
Sorry, to clarify...Lini had accumulated two snakes from the first Lost Coast Adventure.

We actually decided to give her the two Crows and a dog. I totally agree on keeping the Snake out because of Lini's combat focus (a spell caster).

Side note: I'm playing Valeros and don't want to share a weapon for a couple reasons. First, Valeros needs to keep recharging and pulling his weapons. Also, he doesn't want to hold a basic weapon in the mix to pass her because he prefers to get proficiency weapons and those are no good to Lini (due to the 4 penalty).

We still kept Poog. That promo Ally went to Valeros in exchange for a Crow. No luck on getting the coveted Sabertooth in any of our campaigns yet

Thanks again for the input,

Ben (and Abby)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls