Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: On The Fence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence. I have the expendable cash at the moment and this game seems promising, but I don't want to get something that I am only going to play once. I will be playing this most, if not completely solo.

Here are my questions that are holding me back from buying it:

How does it play solo?
How large is the foot print when setup?
Is there any word on how long they're going to be doing expansions/adventure packs?
How difficult is it to learn?
Is it really just flip/roll/rinse/repeat?
Is the game really too easy/no strategy involved?

If you can answer one, two, or all please do. I want to find a general consensus before I decide if I am going to buy it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every single one of these questions is answered and discussed at length in multiple threads. I'd really suggest that you do some digging. This isn't search function stuff but if you comb through the first 3 or 4 pages of posts, you'll get all the answers you want and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
1. Plays great solo. You can easily run several characters if you want.

2. The table space is about the same as a medium sized board game.

3. The have printed the next five adventure decks so you are guaranteed to be able to complete the adventure path. No word yet on what will happen after that but based on how this is selling I expect more releases including a new base set.

4. For me not hard at all, but based on the volume of questions it has been difficult for many people. It helps if you are accustomed to card games.

5. At its heart yes. But there is a lot of tactical thought in how you deploy your characters, how you use cards to help.

6. It is light but does require some thought to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Apocrypha Adventure Card Game fanMicrobadge: In memory of  fallen PACG heroesMicrobadge: Legacy games fanMicrobadge: Massive Darkness fanMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the Week
1. I -love- this game solo. I do have the benefit of Card Warden for iPad, though, so setup/teardown is a breeze and that could make a difference. The variety of characters provide a different engine for adventuring that if you can appreciate, makes it a significant difference each time. The folks that don't like this game (and validly so) are more likely to not appreciate that difference, and without it, it will get repetitive.

2. Solo, the footprint isn't TOO bad... maybe 2' x 2'. However, you also need the box handy for banishing cards into and drawing from, so add that to the figure.

3. Currently, the only confirmation is that the game will continue through AP6. Right now, AP2 is about to get released, so add 8 more months to this cycle. They haven't specified what or how, but they have stated that they are working on future plans for the game. Given Paizo's production models, the success of this game, and the source material they have available, an educated guess puts this at several years at least.

4. It's a very easy game to learn if you understand the mechanics and don't add personal assumptions to card interpretation. I do suggest reading the rules twice, and keeping a copy of the FAQ nearby.

5. Yes, it is. However, there's some theme there if you're willing to find it (i.e. read the adventure/scenario/location/flavor text). The true 'play' of the game is in building your deck and dice pools to mitigate and overcome the challenges of the cards. Perception is key here, and if you don't find joy in this part of the game, you really won't like it. However, this is where I'd point out that most 'Ameritrash' games are really just flip/roll/rinse/repeat in some form of abstract, it's just how it's presented.

6. I severely disagree with the assertion that the game is too easy. The point of an RPG is progress, not win/lose. One of the largest gripes on the 'too easy' camp is that you almost always survive... which is the point. Death in this game is harsh (as is the RPG) and your character is dead. In an RPG, the group of players aren't generally dissatisfied if no one dies, they move on. And that's the point here. The greatest challenge will be in beating the clock and putting together the resources to beat the villain. It's generally understood that solo, you have no rush due to having 30 turns to hit 30 location cards; but, one failure and that deadline becomes very large very quick.

Hopefully that provides you some good information to go on. Obviously, I'm very biased on the 'pro game' side, and hopefully you can get a well thought out answer on the 'con game' side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Deekow
I really appreciate your thoughtful run-down. I am a recovering MTG addict and I am looking for a card game to fill that hole for a friend and myself (when we get time to get together, which is why I will mostly be playing solo) that doesn't require the crazy amount of money invested to get fun out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you're on the fence regarding this game...

Perhaps this post will help... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
On the table space I can get a solo game down to the size of a 50 x 30 cm tray and I frequently prep an adventure to take for my half hour lunch at work and it fits into a small drawstring bag with the dice, I just lay it out on a coat or something in my car. You just have to take a few extra boon and monster cards from the box(maybe a few henchman at a push) for the card effects.

(it's just a question of stacking the cards in a manner that you can assemble and pack down without looking at them, for which you just need to establish an agreeable system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For everyone that is in the fence/want to buy:

Wait until second print. Many cards to be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am going to pick up a copy of the Space Hulk card game and wait for a bit to see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it play solo?

Great so far ive played 4 players solo and 2 players solo,
its like playing ravenloft or deathsolo kinda,,

How large is the foot print when setup?
its foot foot pritn is around piles of cards
a player needs a hand draw and discard space
the adventure needs between 3 to 6+ piles,
and its good to have the box near by
2 player a small coffee table
4 players will want a main kitchen table,

Is there any word on how long they're going to be doing expansions/adventure packs?
( mini 1 year 6 packs, 1 pack every 2 months i think?)

How difficult is it to learn?
mostly easy, a few vaugeries now cleared up
i have got things wrong but they are hardly game braking,

Is it really just flip/roll/rinse/repeat?
mostly, random monsters and good items in piles vs a timer
locations give some tactics as do some villians,
you need to balance when you use certain items but not that hard in general, send the right character to the right location with the best attribute, not always possible or safe, but also its not a the dice screwed me either(death angel),

Is the game really too easy/no strategy involved?
getting harder when played right :-) but still seems easy-isher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor_nero wrote:
I think I am going to pick up a copy of the Space Hulk card game and wait for a bit to see what happens.
That is great. Seeya. Door is over there ------------>

The rest of us will be having fun playing a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topera wrote:
For everyone that is in the fence/want to buy:

Wait until second print. Many cards to be fixed.
There is no need to wait.

Only a handful of cards 'need' to be errata'd compared to the 500 there are already in the game and the additional 500 that will be in the total adventure path. Also, there is a discussion on what to do with the errata'd cards and it looks like there will eventually be an option to get a separate print run for the errata cards...but at your cost.

I seriously doubt there is going to be a reprint any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:

I seriously doubt there is going to be a reprint any time soon.
I disagree with this part. The game is selling well. When they run out of the first print run, there will be a second, and I'm sure Paizo will include corrections in that second run. It's just a question of how long it will take for them to sell out of the initial print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:
Emperor_nero wrote:
That is great. Seeya. Door is over there ------------>

The rest of us will be having fun playing a great game.
That is a very mature answer, not sure why you decided to double post in the first place. The thread had died. Seems like someone needs a forum etiquette lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for solo play. This or Mage Knight? I have been looking at both for awhile now and I am just not sure what to pull the trigger on.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaygood17 wrote:
So for solo play. This or Mage Knight? I have been looking at both for awhile now and I am just not sure what to pull the trigger on.

Better than making a new one! kiss

Haven't played MK myself so I can't help, but PACG is enjoyable at the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
jaygood17 wrote:

Better than making a new one! kiss

Haven't played MK myself so I can't help, but PACG is enjoyable at the least.
Same here - never played Mage Knight, but I've been having fun with PACG solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oyrren
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will try to restrict myself to what has not been thoroughly elaborated already (some of the previous answers have been excellent):

1. Solo - you can play several characters even as a single player, due to the coop principle. Even when playing with more players, we keep our "hand" face up on the table so that we know each other's hand and sometimes chip in with tactical and tactful advice. This helps simulate the tabletop RPG feeling a bit and makes the game overall more enjoyable. Genuine solo is different from playing with more players/characters, some characters are better suited for it but each one of them has a decent chance to win. Soloing is also a great way to explore the individual characters and deciding on whom you would like to play in a group. On the other end of the scale, some characters are less effective in a larger group, so yes, there is some strategic thinking involved in setting up your party. But all in all, choose whomever you like and see how they fare in solo/small group/large group.

2. Small enough to fit on any table. For one or two characters, a small table in a pub is enough Get an extra chair to put the box on, you will need it for drawing and banishing your cards from/to the box.

3. See the above posts, we are all having the same information at the moment.

4. It's ok as long as you find the time to read the rules and can keep them at hand. After you learn the rules (which are intuitive for tabletop RPG players even if they have never played Pathfinder RPG, as long as they understand what a dX means). Once you play one scenario, all you need to do is read the text on the cards and you are set.

5. No, unless the majority of board games fall into this category for you. There is no amazing amount of strategy or tactics involved, but there's some, but actually I don't believe that's what the game is trying to achieve. The point is that you know how the danger/gain ratio is distributed in a given location, but you never know how badass each of the given number of monsters is going to be, or how good the goodies turn out and whether you can actually acquire them. A bit like a genuine RPG again, in this regard. Sure, each character is differently good at beating specific type of banes (monsters, traps etc.) and at acquiring specific type of boons (weapons and armors, items, spells, allies etc.), so strategy yes, but not to the point of resulting into an automatic sweep through the place. Specific locations potentially carry more danger or possible profit for specific characters, but at the end, you never know what's in for you until you flip the card. Without going into more detail, it's a lot more than "kick down the door, roll against whatever lurks beyond".

6. Again, please see the posts above, Emperor_Nero. The game tries to simulate a tabletop RPG in the sense that death is not the favoured option, but losing is entirely possible (death or cowardly retreat especially in solo or smaller groups and losing due to the time runing out in larger groups, pretty evenly spread in my opinion). You will lose once in a while, but more likely due to unlucky rolls, making the wrong decisions under the pressure of running out of turns or trying to beat unfavourable odds than by the difficulty/cruelty of the system. After all, this game tries to simulate an RPG campaign (i.e. a long string of individual games) rather than a single game, so it's not just about surviving one scenario, but about winning one while gaining enough resources on the way to be ready for the next scenario.

As a personal note, PACG is not a tabletop RPG, but it tries hard and does it better than any "RPG without a GM" available until now. It's a good board game in itself, and an excellent RPG simulator to that, especially if you are willing to go with the "once every two months" expansion system. I say give it a go and you will see for yourself, even the base set is more than good. There's a lot of talk about this game being a "hype" or "overrated" (the BGG ratings have gone amazingly high since it's been out and some criticize it for being premature), but it does deserve most of the praise it gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls