Subject: Quick thoughts on kid friendliness. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Picked this up on a whim because I'm just a fan of Iello and I'm always interested in creative takes on kid's games from quality publishers. I've punched everything and read the rules and had a quick play with my wife. Have a surprising amount of thoughts for a "simple" game!

-First off, I think this idea of a series of games based on kid's stories is simply brilliant. Hats off to Iello or whoever thought of it. The game box and components are not exactly "expensive" quality (probably best for a kid's game) but they are nice and they fit in very well with this theme of telling a story, right down to the little touches like the book-shaped box and story within.

-I have a child that's two years and a few months. She's quite good at understanding games like Chicken Cha Cha, Castle Knights, Go Away Monster, and Orchard (her favorite), but sometimes I overreach. I should have listened to the 7+ on the box. It is not an overstatement! The mechanics are actually quite interesting (King of Tokyo-style rolling & aggressive vs. constructive strategies) but there is really no great way to make them work for a small child. We will have to come up with something. Reading through the rules, I was hoping the variant would make the game simpler, but it was actually to add complexity. :p Let's say I was not surprised to see an active thread on here about how this game works for adults too because that was my immediate impression upon reading the rules.

-My conclusion is don't expect to be able to get a ton out of this game with kids under 5. But Iello was clearly shooting for a game that would work well with 5+ and be fun for parents too. Sort of like a Pixar movie. And I feel as if they achieved this. Given the cleverness of much of the game and project, I am selfishly hoping that some of the future titles aim a bit younger, or at least have simpler variants for little ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arvey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games fairly regularly with a soon-to-be four year-old. Often we "play" games that are too tough for her, but we make simple matching, memory, counting, or some other basic skills exercise out of them. In the future we plan to introduce the more complicated rules for her. So, make this a counting game or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played last night with my 5 and 6 year olds. The 6 year old got the strategy a bit more easily. The 5 year had a harder time figuring that out and why he would want to keep certain dice, but he was more interested in just building stuff. He was pretty upset not to get more wolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try playing who can build the most houses, by just rolling the dice three times each and seeing what part of the building you can get, as soon as you put a roof on it start another one. Nice simple fun, and an early intro to the game maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls