Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if any other BGG residents will be participating in the Tri-State Tough Mudder in Englishtown, NJ on 10/12 -10/13/2013. This will be my first tough mudder!

I figure if I can grok the ASL rulebook then this should be a piece of cake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up for Tough Mudder at Gunstock Mountain in New Hampshire earlier this year. Shortly before the event, one of my clients told me they needed me to go on a two-week trip to Arizona and China. I had already paid my non-refundable entry fee, plus I let down my Tough Mudder team mate. Maybe next year . . . and I'll get the tattoo, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bummer, especially with losing the refund as these things can get expensive depending on how soon one signs up.

The team I'm on includes four other guys that I went to Catholic elementary/junior high with. Of this group of five, one has done Tough Mudder eight times, the rest of us are all newbies.

My 19 year old daughter (a member of the U.S. Army) is joining us. She's done these before, and I suspect my wife is sending her along to make sure I get back in one piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Saturday 2:20pm slot. My first TM, but I've done my share of 5k and 10k mud runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I'm in the Saturday 2:20pm slot. My first TM, but I've done my share of 5k and 10k mud runs.

does the fro slow you down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin did one of the British ones this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was younger, single, and trying to get laid all the time, I'd run on a lot of these races. Back then it was called the muddy buddy. At the end of the course was this giant mud pit. I remember barreling through it and when I finished the race I watched the pit for friends behind me. Then I got aw see about a dozen folk take a swig and vomit in the pit. After that I gave up doing any race that had a shared sespool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
erak wrote:

does the fro slow you down?

I cut it down to size. Otherwise, mud covered hair splashes in my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back. Fucking loved it, even when I injured myself pretty badly.

The very last obstacle was to run or crawl through a field with electrified strips hanging from it. I sprinted into it with two strangers who I helped (and they helped me) on a previous obstacle. On the first step in, I took a spill, heard a pop in my ankle, and I was done. Couldn't put any weight on it.

This is where Tough Mudder is awesome. The couple I ran in with saw me go down, helped me back up, and carried me the final quarter mile to the finish. Then they stayed with me until I was properly tended to in the med tent.

I've done a bunch of other mud runs, but I never experienced the constant teamwork-with-strangers this one encourages.

(No breaks in the ankle thank god, but there could still be ligament damage. I'll find out in a few days.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
You, sir, are a BAMF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I've done a bunch of other mud runs, but I never experienced the constant teamwork-with-strangers this one encourages.

After doing to Run For You Lives events, I decided I was done with all these different races/challenges. Your brief description makes me want to reconsider.

Edit: I just got done watching some race footage. NOPE!

stormseeker75 wrote:
You, sir, are a BAMF.

Bacon and mushroom frittata?

Yeah, I know. I'm tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
erak wrote:

After doing to Run For You Lives events, I decided I was done with all these different races/challenges. Your brief description makes me want to reconsider.

Run For Your Lives is so different just for the amount of sprinting required. Otherwise, it's not much different (although it sucks once all of your flags are taken. Takes away the point of the race after that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.