Andrea Skywalker
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hello guys,sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section(first post duhshake)
I am really interested in getting the starter pack for Star Wars miniatures game. Being a big SW fan I'd love to buy every single expansion miniature out there. But I got some cash problems and I have to save what I can. I can buy the game for 39,90 Euros here in Italy. The expansions are priced as follows (I saw these on amazon/ebay; also I can order them at my local game shop):

(10-12€)
X-Wing
Y-Wing
A-Wing
B-Wing
HWK-290
Tie Fighter
Tie Advanced
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber
(20-24€)
Millennium Falcon
Lambda-class Shuttle
Slave 1

So as you may know, the Starter pack contains 2 Tie Fighters and 1 X-Wing.
I was looking for a 4 vs 4 setup to begin with. That way, I would have to buy 5 expansion pieces.
But at the end my final concern is not to spend more than 100 Euros ( Yes, this is my max budget unfortunately, at least, for now).
That would be including the 40 euros of the starter pack, so I would have 60 euros for the expansions. With those, I could either buy 5 (maybe 6) small ships, or, 4 small ships and 1 big ship (aka the Falcon), or, 3 small ships and 2 big ones (Falcon/Slave-1).

At the end guys, my question comes down to a simple matter of balance in combat...I want to keep the game fair and fun on both sides , Empire and Rebels. what do you think I should be getting to expand the core set with a max of 60 Euros?

Thank you very much for your time and your experience in advance, and I hope you all have fun playing the game laugh May the force be with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I can't speak for myself, but a gaming buddy has invested in this game in a big way! (two base games, and 6 of each other minor model, with the exception of the Y-Wing which he's been priced out on currently, and two of each of the larger models).

Suffice to say, he's spent a lot!

Personally, my advice would be to keep away from the larger ships initially as whilst you're getting to grips with the game, they're more of a hindrance than anything else. Definitely however buy at least two copies of the base game. One set of templates and dice a side will save you a lot of headaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I think witches are sexy *blush*
Cartomancer wrote:
Personally, my advice would be to keep away from the larger ships initially as whilst you're getting to grips with the game, they're more of a hindrance than anything else. Definitely however buy at least two copies of the base game. One set of templates and dice a side will save you a lot of headaches.
I very much agree with the saving headaches sentiment. There's no simple solution to the dice but, while it is forbidden to copy the artwork, the templates can be very, very simply replicated which reduces a bit the advantage of a second base set. At €40 a second base set wipes out four expansions. That means missing out on all but two of the small expansions listed. Don't do that Andrea. It'll play a little faster but be too boring in unit selection.

For fun and variety--which go together quite a bit--get the X-wing for the extra X-wing and pilots, Y-wing for the different play style with the better defended craft, the Tie-Interceptor because it's zippy and can out fly the Rebel scum in its sleep and it looks cool, the Tie-Advanced because everyone wants Vader.

That's €80-90 so the Tie-Fighter, handy for extra units to fill out the squadron (though really it's too few craft to be a squadron, so it's actually a flight), and A-wing to round it out to €100.

Do stay away from the bigger craft for now. For the price you limit your options a lot on what enemy craft you can buy to oppose them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Amazon/eBay for the base set should be lower than the 40 euros you are seeing.

In the US, MSRP (IE., the 'brick and mortar' store price) amounts to $40 for the base set, and $15 for the expansions. Although on Amazon, both are much cheaper (as you are seeing with the expansions).

So the second core set is always strongly recommended, as it not only gets you the second set of dice you need (normally $7), but a second set of movement templates, another range ruler, another damage deck (best way to play - and required for tournament play - is each player with their own damage deck)...AND it's the cheapest way to get three miniatures (normally $15 each, 3 for $40 is a discount).

As to the expansions, generally what is recommended is:
- 2x core sets total (look for these less than 40 Euros...if you are seeing the expansions for as low as 10 Euros, I'm sure you'll find a base set for 30-or-so)
- 1x TIE Fighter expansion (it comes with the best TIE pilots in the game)
- 1x X-Wing expansion (same, but for the X-Wing - Wedge is very powerful)
- 1x Y-Wing expansion (considerable variety in play vs other fighters)
- 1x TIE Advanced (arguable - no more than one, for sure, but it does come with the flat-out best Imperial pilot in Vader, as well as the useful 'swarm tactics' and 'squad leader' cards. A lot of people say to get the TIE Interceptor instead, and I can't really argue with that, but that does mean you'd have no missile platform from the Empire unless you pick up a TIE Bomber or Slave-1, too.)

If you are seeing the expansions at 10€ and can find the base set for 30€, that puts the above at your target of 100€.

That gives you a great starting point, and a lot of variety. As to where to go from there... I know many folks like to add the 'Millennium Falcon' to the above list, then, as it brings some interesting things to the table (the fighter/ship 'modification' cards and rules) - as well as giving you the last ship needed to have everything from the first Star Wars movie!

As to the rest of wave 2/3...I'd say just pick your favorite ships from the movies. As to the game, in general...
- The B-Wings are awesome. Just...awesome. But one really powerful weapon choice for them you want BADLY is the 'heavy laser cannon', which doesn't come in this pack - only the Slave-1 and Imperial Shuttle have it.
- The A-Wings are rather lame. Pass on those unless you are a completionist or just love the fighter.
- TIE Bombers are an interesting missile platform (as you might expect - missiles/torpedoes in the game are powerful, but you only really get a shot or two with them depending on the fighter and you are then out).
- TIE Interceptors are very fun, but very, very fragile.
- Slave-1 is rather powerful, really, and maneuvers well. It just feels weird to run with Imperial lists, to me...
- HWK-290 is a support unit, which...I dunno. If you get hardcore into the game, it's worth picking up, but I'm skeptical it is worth its cost.
- Same could be said of the Imperial Shuttle, although it's at least another iconic fighter. And it does come with the very-useful (for the B-Wing, Slave 1, or the shuttle itself) heavy laser cannon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Welcome

Moved from General Gaming to Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

I'm sure someone here can help you build a good set up on a limited budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I see in your original post that you are looking into a 4v4 setup for this game. However, that does not really reflect the balance philosophy of the game. A standard rebel fighter squadron would be 4 ships, but it is rather difficult to make a 4-ship imperial squadron that can match it. Typically a strong Imperial squadron is composed of at least 5 ships, often as many as 6 or 7.

The best way to get a balanced force for both sides is probably to play with a house rule limiting the rebels to 3 ships and the imperials to about 5 ships (shouldn't be too hard to limit imperials on a budget as you probably won't even own much more than 5 or so)

My recommendation is to try and get a total of 3 or 4 rebel fighters, depending on your tastes and which expansions you can actually find in stock to purchase:
-as many xwings as you want, they are good
-one Y-wing
-one, maybe two B-wings
-one A-wing, if any. A-wings are a bit weak, especially when a new player is using them. As a slight benefit, this could actually help balance a rebel squadron against a small imperial squadron

For imperials, the two TIEs in the core set is a good start. If possible, get at least one TIE fighter expansion for a total of at least 3 TIEs. To round this out, I recommend either one TIE advanced and one TIE interceptor, or two interceptors if you cannot find the TIE advanced expansion in stock.

Avoid:
The lambda shuttle and the HWK290. They are support ships best purchased after you have already built a sizable collection and want to add variety to the game, but they add minimal value when first starting out.

Possibly Consider:
The Slave I and the millennium falcon expansion. They are more expensive (twice the cost of a single fighter) but they are also worth more squad points than fighters and can be used to fill up your squadron with fewer ships. However, a rebel squadron with the Falcon will probably shred an imperial squadron with smaller numbers, especially one flown by a beginner player, so try not to buy a falcon without also buying the Slave I to give the imperial player a chance to match the rebel firepower. Generally though I don't recommend buying these larger ships until after you flesh out some basic fighter squadrons in your collection.

TIE bomber:
this ship is still a bit up in the air as to how good it is. most of the effective ways to use it require owning multiple bombers and/or having a better understanding of how the game plays than most beginner players will have for a while. If you absolutely cannot find TIE fighter expansions and TIE advanced expansions you might consider buying a TIE bomber or two, but I do not recommend it as part of a budget initial purchase unless you are desperate. I would recommend getting 2-3 interceptors or even the Slave I if you can't find TIE or TIE advanced expansions before buying a TIE bomber.

So basically your choice of
1-2, maybe even 3 x-wings
1 y-wing
1-2 B-wings
1 a-wing

for a total of 3 or 4 rebel ships (probably 4 if you are buying an a-wing)

2-3 TIE fighters
1 TIE advanced
1-3 interceptors

for a total of 5 or 6 imperial fighters

you can always buy a second core set to get more fighters on a budget but it's a bit lacking in variety and does not include the unique pilots that come with the TIE fighter and X-wing expansions (you could always just print those out though, at least until you can get a copy of the actual expansions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going along with what I see as the general consensus.

Get a second starter/core set if possible. Here in the good old USA, it goes for around $30us, or the cost of two boosters. So, it is the cheapest way to get four TIEs, two X-wings, and enough dice.

Get another X-wing and TIE for the other pilots.

Get a Y-wing and TIE/adv for the fun of it.

I figure, if you can't get the second core set, you are looking at five expansions on top of the first core set. If that is the case, go for the X and Y, two TIEs, and the TIE/adv. it will get you to 100 points, as long a the Imperials take some skilled pilots, but will be a little tougher to split up for two versus two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chr Clar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm asking a similar question. I have 2 cores and managed to snag a tie fighter expansion. Assuming the y-wing, x-wing expand, and tie advanced are still sold out when FLGS has a tourney. What would you guys go with? Im on a budge of 50-80$. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
chrisclarke007 wrote:
I'm asking a similar question. I have 2 cores and managed to snag a tie fighter expansion. Assuming the y-wing, x-wing expand, and tie advanced are still sold out when FLGS has a tourney. What would you guys go with? Im on a budge of 50-80$. Thanks in advance.
Falcon, make a Han + 2 Xwing list

ie. Han + veteran instincts + Chewbacca + Luke crew + 2 rookie Xwings

if you want to play imperials, get a firespray.

Krassis + HLC
Howlrunner
Obsidian squadron x3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Skywalker
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks to all of you guyskiss you're answers really gave me an idea of what to do in all of this...I really wish I wasn't living in Italy, here nobody plays war table games besides Risk and WH/WH40K (and man thats expensive). That's why I'm trying to buy enough pieces for me and an eventual friend passing by my place (I'm kinda envying you yep).
Anyway, I'll be surfing some sites trying to find a good deal, I'll be back to tell y'all my initial setup.
Again, thanks a lot, and May the force be with you, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Ashram
msg tools
If I may... I would definitely do a second core set, but I would absolutely avoid the TIE and X Wing expansion. Honestly, with your budget limits, you'd be a LOT better served just picking up different ships... The idea of picking up a third X Wing and fifth TIE just for a player card each seems very foolish, if you are not playing competitively.

I'd do...

Two core sets
One each of the y wing, b wing, and a wing
One each of the TIE advanced and the TIE interceptor and TIE bomber, or skip the bomber and pick up a second interceptor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly to get the most diversity of options, for the cheapest amount, i'd consider it MANDATORY to start with...

-2x Core Sets (As others have said, the ship value is incredible, and two sets of tokens, measuring tools, dice are almost a requirement... period)

-1x X-wing Expansion
-1x Tie Fighter Expansion

Yes, it doesn't allow very visually distinct lists, BUT owning three X-wings and five Ties is the core of every collection. PLUS those two expansions offer soooo much more play value to the other models already in your core sets.

From there, you almost can't go wrong, honestly. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Skywalker
Italy
flag msg tools
So I'm pretty sure to get 2 core sets as you all said. That would give me 4x TIEs and 2x X-wings (plus 2 sets of dice/tokens/tools) for a total cost of probably around 80 euros (yeah prices here are so damn high).
Having 20 more euros to invest these are the options that could be pursued:

---- Option 1 (4 vs 4)
(Buy 1x B-Wing and 1x Y-Wing/X-Wing)

Rebels:

2x X-Wing
1x B-Wing
1x Y-Wing

or

3x X-Wing
1x B-Wing

Empire:

4x TIE Fighter

---- Option 2 (3 vs 5)
(Buy 1x X-Wing 1x Tie Advanced/TIE Fighter)

Rebels:

3x X-Wing

Empire

4x TIE Fighter
1x Advanced

or

5x TIE Fighter

---- Option 3 (5 vs 5 / 20 Euros over budget for 2 more extra ships)
(Buy 1x X-Wing / 1x B-Wing / 1x Y-Wing / 1x TIE Advanced/Fighter)

Rebels

3x X-Wing
1x B-Wing
1x Y-Wing

Empire

4x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Advanced

or

5x TIE Fighter

---- Option 4 (4 vs 6 / 20 Euros over budget for 2 more extra ship)
(Buy 1x B-Wing / 1x Y-Wing / 1x TIE Advanced / 1x TIE Bomber/Fighter)

Rebels

2x X-Wing
1x B-Wing
1x Y-Wing

or

3x X-Wing
1x B-Wing

Empire

4x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Advanced
1x TIE Bomber

or

5x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Advanced

So which one of these looks better to you guys? I skipped the support ships (HWK and Lambda) and the big ones (MF and Slave) for budget's sake. Also, skipped the A-Wing and the Interceptor (probably the next ones to buy when this first layout is finished).

Also, I came up with this buying scheme, and with time, getting all the expansions, tell me what you think

Steps:

1) Buy 2 core sets (€39,90 x2 = €80) 4 vs 2
2) Buy Tie Fighter & X-Wing Expansion (€12,50 x2 = €25) 5 vs 3
3) Buy Tie Advanced & Y-Wing Expansion (€12,50 x2 = €25) 6 vs 4
4) Buy Tie Interceptor & A-Wing Expansion (€12,50 x2 = €25) 7 vs 5
5) Buy Tie Bomber & B-Wing Expansion (€12,50 x2 = €25) 8 vs 6
6) Buy Slave 1 & Millennium Falcon Expansion (€25 x2 = €50) 9 vs 7
7) Buy Lambda Shuttle & HWK-290 Expansion (€12,50 + 25€ = €37,50) 10 vs 8
8) Repeat step 2 to 5 until desired combat magnitude

Total Cost = €267 for 18 Miniatures / 2 Dice sets / Cards / Tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Option 2 is the route that I would start with.

The Biggs/Luke/Wedge combo is a really good strong squad for the rebels.

I would choose the TIE/F expansion or the TIE/I before the TIE/A (unless you REALLY want Vader). The TIE/F expansion gives you some great named pilots (and a 5x swarm is strong). The TIE/I is considered one of the most fun* ships to fly and will give you some variation over the Fighters. I'm not a big fan of the Advanced. It's expensive and not as fun as the other two Imp ships.

*Fun value based on a few polls you can find in the X-Wing:TMG General forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls