Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This month our school has both a spirit day where we dress up as someething (the theme this month is cartoon character) and also Halloween where everyone is supposed to likewise dress up, with the theme being a villain.

With both my wife and I teaching at the school we need to come up with four costumes this month. We don't want to spend that much money so we're trying to figure out how to double up the costume elements so we can recycle a bit for both days.

Any ideas (both cartoon character and villain, for a man and woman)?

Another factor is that we do still have to teach on these days so they need to be practical for the classroom, such as no masks, headcoverings or otherwise overly complicated/impractical outfits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
how mainstream do they need to bee, there is some intresting things in Doctor Who but you know... that might be a bit off center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
how mainstream do they need to bee, there is some intresting things in Doctor Who but you know... that might be a bit off center.
It probably should be more mainstream, otherwise the students won't be able to connect at all to the character. I'm pretty sure none or almost none of the students are even aware of Dr. Who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter White and Rule 63 Pinkman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you teach? Take opportunities to pull from your current curriculum I would say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach social studies so I can pretty much pull off anything.

Walter White... that would be awesome since I have at least half of that as my regular clothing, and I'd definitely wear his style of jacket in regular life. It would only be the hat that would amount to a real cost for me. Unfortunately the school is for at-risk students and it wouldn't really be the best outfit to have on for a villain.

"What are you Mr. Carr?"

"I'm a science teacher who becomes a drug lord!"

And then the student gets emotionally triggered by some horrible event that has or is happening in their life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually, I would think crawling around looking for someone's eye would be a pretty fun game in its own right.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Gamer Family
My wife suggested finding characters that have evil twins -- 'cause the evil twin usually just has a goatee added. (That's how you tell the good guy from the bad guy).

As for buying costume parts, our family has had a lot of good luck finding costume parts and pieces at thrift stores. For just a few dollars you can pick up some clothes that fit fairly closely, then add some fabric remnants and/or some bits and/or decorations from a fabric store, and you can have a decent costume for not much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zan and Jayna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb

I'm pretty sure that's just a rebranded Beetlejuice costume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's just a rebranded Beetlejuice costume.
That would do wonders for both of our careers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja The answer should be obvious from the themes--a comic hero/heroine and his/her nemesis. Like you could be Batman, then the Joker (although given the cinema shooting incident maybe Penguin or Mr. Freeze could sub), your wife Catwoman (or Robin), then I dunno Poison Ivy? The possibilities are numerous. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like so far we're settling on Zim and GIR for the cartoon day:

With bits of clothing we have and just a bit more to buy this duo isn't that expensive to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually, I would think crawling around looking for someone's eye would be a pretty fun game in its own right.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Gamer Family
lewis wrote:
I'm thinking these characters will be complete mysteries to the school kids, and possibly to some of the teachers, too.

Which is really too bad.... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Zan and Jayna
Doing a quick survey today a good chunk of the staff had no idea what I was talking about with the Wonder Twins They said it sounded like "Captain Planet," which is something the whippersnappers were watching when I was in college!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
lewis wrote:
I'm thinking these characters will be complete mysteries to the school kids, and possibly to some of the teachers, too.

Which is really too bad.... soblue
Yeah, if the Wonder Twins get blank stares then this will beyond ken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls