Popular Tags: [View All]
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought lots of things off both. I am really done with ebay for a while.

I bought a pretty pretty princess cinderella game for my niece's 3rd birthday in November (she LOVES cilallella). I looked on here first for a trade, but then saw an auction for one on ebay for 5 bucks used. I bid and won. It got here and it has 4 of the 8 corners blown out, sharpie colored numbers and is missing a pink RING! One of the important pieces. I sent an email to him:

Dear silverado991,
Not the item pictured in the auction, that one has no rips in it.
Received box has 4 corners out of 8 ripped out!
One is taped, the others weren't. Game is missing the pink ring.
I was planning to give this as a gift....
Can you find the ring?

Dear Phil,
Item was listed as used not new you paid $5.51 for a $25 game you can however purchase a ring from another ebay seller
- silverado991

Dear silverado991,
Used is one thing. bait and switch with pictures is another. That wouldn't even bother me as much (I can tape the corners) as not having all the parts for her to play the game.
I'd like to return it on your dime, or we can go negative.
P

Hi Phil,
"i dont intend to reimburse you for your negligance you threatened to leave negative feedback which violates ebay policy as well as it was a USED item i did not guarantee the item to have all of its pieces its your responsiblity to ask questions before bidding not mine "

So now we are in ebay resolution. Verdict oh wise ones?
I certainly can see why I should ask questions, but I guess BGG is going to be my only "used" source now. At least I can trust you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You win...every buyer has protection. Sounds like you are on the hook for return shipping but ebay might step in and take care of it.

I ship out 40-70 ebay sales a week.

Actually you lost the ability to post a negative by bringing it up. If you do post it he can have it removed for feedback extortion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It amazes me how many people still don't understand the concept of uploading a picture of the actual item. People like that ruin it for the sellers who are honest. I confess I haven't completely stopped using ebay, but I use it as little as possible these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll cost me $ to send it back which is probably more than I paid for it, but this joker needs a lesson. I would assume he's been in this before and started over as he only has a 13 feedback. Or maybe he's new, who knows...

Maybe I'll end up negativing him and keep it. It's a death knell these days for sellers. Anyone got a pink ring? The game isn't "wrapped gift" worthy, but She'll still love it. Depends on what ebay says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Moxie drinkerMicrobadge: I love New EnglandMicrobadge: Tom Brady fanMicrobadge: I attended Lobster Trap!
I gave up on e-bay a long time ago. The last game I bought was described as "appears complete". Now I was prepared to have to replicate a few chits if necessary but when I got the game it had fewer than 50% of the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
It amazes me how many people still don't understand the concept of uploading a picture of the actual item. People like that ruin it for the sellers who are honest. I confess I haven't completely stopped using ebay, but I use it as little as possible these days.

I also bought a whiskey decanter with a completely different label than the auction picture this week. it's been a crap week for me and ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I have been lucky, all ways got discounts on game that were not complete when I got them.(and in both cases it was not a major issue as to what was missing). But I have had this issue with DVD's (and it was a pirate so the twat got banned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I'd honestly be okay if I bought it KNOWING that is was short one ring and I had to tape the corners. But to have him justify it as my fault just rubs me the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
You know, I'd honestly be okay if I bought it KNOWING that is was short one ring and I had to tape the corners. But to have him justify it as my fault just rubs me the wrong way.
As I said the only time have have taken issue was over just this kind of situation (but relating to a DVD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think that all BGG'rs are saints. I bought a game off an auction. Game pic in the listing was 2nd printing, I got the first printing (very munch inferior to the reprint.

Seller said he didn't have time/trouble to post the proper photo, he was selling the game "Nothing more, nothing less"

I was fed up with the @#$@#&^ so I shipped the game back on my dime and washed my hands of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Actually you lost the ability to post a negative by bringing it up. If you do post it he can have it removed for feedback extortion.
Unfortunately, this. For my only negative experience with ebay (I think there's only been one), I replied with "You stated A. I expected A. I received B. Can you help?"

As with much in life, when pursuing an ebay grievance, one must try to envision the situation as a disinterested third party would. Once you let emotion affect your actions, you actually provide that third party reason not to side with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
Don't let 1 obvious sleazebag put you off of one of the world's best sites for finding deals.
It wouldn't benefit you, and it would be letting the terrorists win.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Don't let 1 obvious sleazebag put you off of one of the world's best sites for finding deals.
It wouldn't benefit you, and it would be letting the terrorists win.
meeple
But it's NOT the best site for finding deals. A long time ago, it went from the world's biggest yard sale to a den of thieves trying to make a business out of misleading people into thinking they are getting a good deal. I did a LOT of business on ebay between 2001 and 2008 or so...and haven't looked back since. Even craigslist is more reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

I've been sitting here looking at this thread and trying to find a way to comment and contribute in a positive manner.... so let me just put it all in my court.

As a long-experienced eBay black belt, I would never have bid on that listing as shown in the linked image. Never. I wouldn't have even spent more than a few seconds looking at it before closing the tab and moving on without so much as a backward glance.

The seller is a newbie, the item photo is clearly a stock photo and not the item actually being offered, the item is listed as "used", there is nothing whatsoever that remotely suggests that the item is complete or even in usable condition, and the shipping is too high on top of everything else.

Given all that, I would also conclude that it would be utterly useless to write for details, hence the lack of a backward glance. The seller could have provided details and did not, and the reason for that failure wouldn't really matter to me; the seller either doesn't know or care what he's doing, or he's hiding something. In either case, I would think that it would be unwise to invest either time or money in this item, and I would do neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Moxie drinkerMicrobadge: I love New EnglandMicrobadge: Tom Brady fanMicrobadge: I attended Lobster Trap!
Bearcat89 wrote:

But it's NOT the best site for finding deals. A long time ago, it went from the world's biggest yard sale to a den of thieves trying to make a business out of misleading people into thinking they are getting a good deal.
This 100 times over reflects my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

As a long-experienced eBay black belt, I would never have bid on that listing as shown in the linked image. Never. I wouldn't have even spent more than a few seconds looking at it before closing the tab and moving on without so much as a backward glance.
Yeah I know. But up to this week I haven't had more than 1 or 2 problems in a decade. I knew the reason he wasn't getting hits was his listing. I took a chance. Lost.
Worse comes to worst, I'll try to get a pink ring. Avery is 3, she won't care, it's just the principle of the thing.

What's that forum thread where we have parts called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
I've had good luck on Ebay, and bad luck on Ebay.

I have had good luck on the Geek, and bad luck on the Geek.

I will say this though, there are consumer protections on Ebay.
There is virtually nothing you can do as a recipient of a dishonest G4GG auction.

The actual Geek marketplace allows for creating feedback on users, which is at least something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
Bearcat89 wrote:
But it's NOT the best site for finding deals. A long time ago, it went from the world's biggest yard sale to a den of thieves trying to make a business out of misleading people into thinking they are getting a good deal. I did a LOT of business on ebay between 2001 and 2008 or so...and haven't looked back since. Even craigslist is more reliable.
I know it's cool to hate eBay, but comparing their 200 million listings of everything under the sun from around the globe, to a few hundred local weirdos trying to sell their dead grandma's couch on CraigsList is just a dumb comparison.

I've bought & sold since 1998 and continue to find deals every week.
YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Cromwell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
What's that forum thread where we have parts called?
2013-2014 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST

Link to listing for games entry
Item for Geeklist "2013-2014 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Been selling on EBay for around 15 years. This seller is a jerk and you should have gone to EBay after his first response rather than go round and round with him. Also your threat to go negative was a violation. Never do that.

In the future in such an event contact the seller. If you get that kind of jerk response then just start a claim with EBay. It's simple with no need to waste time with an idiot like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has only 14 feedback AND dude sells scrap gold & used watches....that was also a clue this guy was no good.

Either a noob or a pawn guy that got kicked off and made a new ID.

Run it by ebay that this guy was using stock photos on used items (and not in categories you can) He might have felt he could get away with it if the item had an ISBN. Check the box UPC...I'll bet it has one there.

Open a SNAD and let the process run its course...unless you want to keep it. If you stick to your guns (and you have no reason not to) he might cave and pay for the return shipping (but if he was any good he already would have) or ebay may step in if you insist he pays it (and pay it for him).

Most likely (if he is not a noob) this guy will start over on a new user ID.

Me, I'd just ask for the item refund without sending it back. He sent you garbage and the guy is going to be into the original shipping with nothing to show for it (if you send it back they have to refund original shipping).....but like I said earlier.....if this seller was into doing good business you wouldn't be here. Gotta know when to cut your losses, buyer & seller alike.

EDIT:

$15 shipping? Item weighs less than 3lbs with packing...you got over charged by almost 30% and that is a calculation from the middle of the USA to 90210. From just 1 or 2 states away you probably got hosed for $10.

If you do return, get Delivery Confirmation. If you don't they can just say they never got it and no refund for you.

Only feedback option left to do is leave a soft positive and ding every DSR star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this today. I guess I keep the torn up game I got? It says nothing about returning it. I suppose I can save the pieces that are there as backup for when I buy a good copy.

Good news! We issued you a full refund of $20.51 on Oct 11, 2013. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping and has been credited to your PayPal account. Please log in to PayPal and view the History page if you don't see it in your PayPal balance.

Decision:
This case has been decided in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls