Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
Since there have been several opinions voiced by people that they were not happy that the Cthulhu expansion feels too themed and less iconic; I thought I would start a discussion that can ease some people’s concerns about this item and elaborate on what makes the four new factions feel like their own unique groups.

The factions are more than just Cthulhu deck 1, Cthulhu deck 2, Cthulhu deck 3 and Cthulhu deck 4.
And I am talking specifically about theme and concept. Not how the factions play and mechanics etc.

I originally was hesitant to buy this set because I felt 4 sets from the same line were a bit of overkill, but now that I have the game and have looked through the factions in detail, I really feel they have strong enough themes to stand on their own as zombies, robots and wizards etc do.

The university faction may be based off of the Miskatonic university from the Cthulhu mythos but with clever use of art, it really feels like a Scooby Doo/Meddling kids faction. And that is a standalone theme in and of itself.

The Innsmouth locals have a feel of creepy backwater townsfolk and do not need to be connected to the Cthulhu mythos either.

The cultists are cultists of Cthulhu, but they are still cultists and that is a strong faction concept in itself.

And the Elder things are simply a cosmic monster faction at its heart.

So the way I see the set it introduces four new factions:
Meddling Kids
Backwater Locals
Cultists
Space Monsters.

And if you put them side by side with the other factions, they really do have a place.
The designers did a great job of making the new factions have a strong Cthulhu connection to appeal to the Lovecraft fans, yet still make the new groups hold a strong iconic presence.

When I show this game to new people, I won’t even draw attention to the Cthulhu theme and say, these are from the “Cthulhu expansion” I will just say, these are elder things... they are a bunch of space monsters that cause madness. This is the meddling kids deck. Etc.

So for those who are holding back from buying the expansion because it feels too “themed”, I feel that once you add them to the main box, they will fit right in and stand on their own as iconic factions and Smash up will still maintain its presence of a multi-faction shuffle builder game with diverse and unique themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greyson Sarich
Canada
flag msg tools
I completely agree but even without this different look on the factions people should understand that AEG could that having 4 related factions is okay because you are combining them with other factions, you dont play with just cthulhu, no you play cthulhu/aliens the only way you won't like this is if you don't like the cthulhu mythos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then again, I have absolutely no interest in Cthulhu whatsoever, and really don't care for any other Cthulhu type things, but since I really enjoy playing Smash Up, I got it any way, and have had a good time so far playing the new expansion. I'm already looking forward to what the next expansion is, but Smash Up is so good with the variety of combinations, the wait is worth it, bc much playing will still be going on here. And Madness will abound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not bad but it was much weaker than the previous expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls