Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I launched my project Keep the Crown on Kickstarter just over a week ago. After a good first few days, I hit the dreaded "slump" which is more like a "brick wall" in my case.

Now I'm trying to determine if...

A) there is something wrong with my campaign that I can fix now
B) there is something wrong and I should fix and re-launch in the future
C) there is just not enough interest in this game

I would appreciate your BEST answer in this poll. If so inclined please elaborate via comments -- especially if multiple answers resonate with you or if "other" is your answer. All criticism is welcome -- I can take it and will appreciate it (even if it stings a bit!)

Thanks.

Project: http://tinyurl.com/KeepTheCrownBGG

Poll: Campaign Review
http://tinyurl.com/KeepTheCrownBGG
Assuming you are a Kickstarter user, what is the best reason you might be hesitant to pledge for Keep the Crown.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
campaign: wary of first-time publisher
0.0% 0
campaign: no exclusives offered
0.0% 0
campaign: didn't like presentation
8.3% 1
campaign: didn't think it would get funded
0.0% 0
game: not my type of game
58.3% 7
game: didn't like the rules/gameplay
0.0% 0
game: didn't like the art
25.0% 3
game: didn't like the components
0.0% 0
game: not enough blog/review exposure
0.0% 0
price: base price too high
0.0% 0
price: shipping too expensive
8.3% 1
other
0.0% 0
Voters 12
This poll is now closed.   12 answers
Poll created by JammerG
Closes: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction on looking at the page is that the cover art with the wizard and the thief looks a little amateur. Then I see that you're comparing the game to "dominoes, UNO and Bejeweled", and I run screaming the other way. There's clearly a market for that sort of game, but it's walking down the aisles at Toys R Us and not looking for KickStarter projects to back on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Santiago.

I know there are many who will never be into my game, but those who might be I don't want to lose them with the wrong presentation or something else that is in my control.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've gotta agree with Santi, most people on this site will not be attracted to game that's likened to those you mentioned.

Do people that are into those games frequent Kickstarter? I guess you'll find out.

One more thing, if a game has outstanding art, I might be willing to try it even if I wouldn't normally. If a game has mediocre art, I often won't bother.

Don't skimp on your art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate Cloake
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked "not my type of game" as it doesn't jump out to me as something I NEED to have.
I don't dislike the art, but don't like it enough that I would buy it for the art alone.
It's the kind of game I'd probably enjoy, but the price puts it from a purchase on a whim to having to seriously consider whether I need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make me watch a video or read the rulebook to find out about how the game plays.

Generally with Kickstarters, I just quickly go through the project page. Only if there is something there that piques my interest do I click on any links or watch any videos.

There is not enough in the description to intrigue me to the point where I am interested in investing the time in videos or the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to the new responses.

I've updated the page to address some issues, but realize the "just not my type of game" will still be in effect for many.

Evan -- I did add a bit more detail about the gameplay, but I'll admit I was trying to minimize text hoping that people who wanted the details on mechanics/gameplay would open the ruleset or watch one of the videos. But I understand, there are a ton of games to choose from and I didn't hook you in. That's good to know.

My game might not be the right type for Kickstarter. TBD. But, I actually think an added problem is that it doesn't present well on the page. All the reviews have been positive and nearly everyone who has played at conventions and play-test groups has really liked the game. So... yeah, I should have spent more on art, prototype production value, photo/video product shots, etc.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No worries, man. If it's really something that's important to you, take this as a lesson, adjust what you have to, and try again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JammerG wrote:

Evan -- I did add a bit more detail about the gameplay, but I'll admit I was trying to minimize text hoping that people who wanted the details on mechanics/gameplay would open the ruleset or watch one of the videos. But I understand, there are a ton of games to choose from and I didn't hook you in. That's good to know.

If a game has awesome graphics, that can hook me into checking out links and videos.

Your game does not have great graphics so you've if there is no description of gameplay that intrigues me, I move on to the next project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name bugs me. It sounds to me like what you would say to someone else if you didn't want 'the crown.' "Keep it--please."
I would have named it "Hold the Crown" or "Capture the Crown" or something clever.
I'm guessing you arrived at the name after being very immersed in the theme and mechanics and it fits once you know the game. But to the uninitiated I think it is misleading, particularly since crowns aren't something people play keep-away with.
But it's not as bad as ”Give It to the King."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamal Green
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grithog wrote:
The name bugs me. It sounds to me like what you would say to someone else if you didn't want 'the crown.' "Keep it--please."
Thanks, Eric -- interesting insight.

Yes, in the game the crown is easy to earn, but harder to keep. It always goes to the score leader who is likely to go on the defensive and attempt to end the game before another player can capture it. So, yes it makes sense in context, but I see that it could seem odd otherwise.

And... as the campaign looks sure to fail, let the jokes begin: "Looks like YOU will get to Keep the Crown!"

- Jamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls