Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In his gaming blog (http://homepage.mac.com/c_farrell/iblog/C2097221587/E2006030..., and in the comments) Chris Farrell mentioned a couple of ideas for altering the Clock of Fate. (He played a couple of games in which it took a long time for the major events--the "Strokes of Fate"--to come up, so he felt the game went too long: "Neither game saw a single ally defect, so Prussia was still a long way from the goal line, and in both cases the ultimate result was fairly evident for several turns before the end." I'm not sure that makes sense, though--if those several turns had started with Russia and Sweden dropping out, the ultimate result might have been different!)

I like the major events, and they haven't come up enough when I've played. (Except for the ones which hose Prussia, when I'm Prussia--those come up plenty, ha ha.) So his ideas were interesting to me:

cfarrell wrote:
My initial, simplistic thought is that when I play again, I'll suggest randomly removing 6 of the minor event cards from the deck before shuffling in the major events. Nobody that I've talked to has exactly been claiming that Prussia wins too often, so this should accelerate the game, making it more likley to see a decent number of interesting events and less likely to see Prussia on life support for too many turns.

cfarrell wrote:
a thinning (remove 4-6 minor events) or pre-stacking (put 3 pre-specified-ish major events in the first 9 cards, and 3 more in the second 9, or some such) of the event deck.

That got me thinking; I might suggest an even more aggressive deck-stacking next time I play.
1. Separate the six Strokes of Fate (the ones with a title at the top of the card) from the other twelve event cards. Shuffle the two stacks individually.
2. Take two cards from the larger stack and one card from the smaller stack (all face down). Shuffle the three cards together and put them on the Clock of Fate.
3. Repeat step 2 until all 18 cards are on the Clock of Fate.

Thoughts? It's worth noting that I've only gotten to play this game a few times (usually there are 5-6 of us in my regular group, and my friends stubbornly refuse to fall ill), so I may have no business tampering with the finely tuned machine, ha ha. (Maybe with more plays I'd see a game where the major events all wind up earlier in the deck anyway. Really I want the effect of having removed a bunch of the minor events, but without knowing that I've probably skewed the game in Prussia's favor.)

(Actually... maybe it would be OK to remove 4-6 minor events, if you also guaranteed that Poems and/or Lord Bute were more likely to be the first major events to come up! Maybe the easiest way to do this would be, when the first major event comes up, if it's not one of those two, then treat it as Poems. When Poems does come up, if an earlier event was already treated as Poems, then that event happens instead.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear more about this idea; has anyone tested it out?

It occurs to me that Prussia is trying to defend on many fronts. If the others bide their time and wear Prussia down, their combined card draws are sure to overwhelm Prussia.

I think that urgent campaigning is in order here! Armies are not raised and marched off to bide their time. PLayers should have to weigh the dangers shifting political winds at home if they choose to camp out in the hinterlands rather than march in for victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich is a great game that doesn't need fixing. The only adjustment I am comfortable with is using a point system to score games, as this allow easier performance comparison between sessions.

That's my take. I'm comfortable with the fickle flow of fate in Friedrich.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:
I'd like to hear more about this idea; has anyone tested it out?

It occurs to me that Prussia is trying to defend on many fronts. If the others bide their time and wear Prussia down, their combined card draws are sure to overwhelm Prussia.

I think that urgent campaigning is in order here! Armies are not raised and marched off to bide their time. PLayers should have to weigh the dangers shifting political winds at home if they choose to camp out in the hinterlands rather than march in for victory!

A possible prussian strategy is to try to fight each faction in just one suit. Hearts against france, clubs against austria, diamonds against the two minors and clubs against austria.

If prussia does this, each of the allies will need much more time (and may even need both to concentrate their forces and help each other out to win.) If the game gets stacked against the alliance the way proposed here, it will be very difficult for them to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.