Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone direct me to some two player decks using just the core set? We are trying to do the second base quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I did, with about a 50% success rate on that quest. I took the leadership and spirit cards and put them together. Then I took the lore and tactics cards and put them together. Then I went through each deck and whittled them down to 40 cards. For heroes, I used Eowyn, Aragorn, Theodred and Legolas, Gimli, Berevor.

With only a single core set, your possible combinations are limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I used Leadership/Tactic (Aragorn, Lego, Gimli) and Spirit/Lore (Beravor, Eowyn, Eleanor) decks for showing the game to friends 2p to pretty solid success. The blue/green one of course had extreme support role (I usually played that, the introductee got the "actiony" deck) and did have some mana issues (Beravor best candidate for Steward in that setup).
Don't even need decklists, basically toss both colors together per deck and cut down to 50 to taste, with emphasis on removing expensive and "secondary" color cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I built a Tactics/Leadership deck with Gimli for damage (Citadel Plates a must), Legolas for damage and ranged support, and Theodred for resource generation. The other deck was Lore/Spirit with Denethor for defense, Beravor for card draw/utility, and Eowyn for questing. Your friend is Feint + Forest Snare. I did proxy some of the core set cards that don't come with three copies. This quest also became easier with Hunt for Gollums Winged Guardians as good blockers.

Good Luck!

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Here is what I did, with about a 50% success rate on that quest. I took the leadership and spirit cards and put them together. Then I took the lore and tactics cards and put them together. Then I went through each deck and whittled them down to 40 cards. For heroes, I used Eowyn, Aragorn, Theodred and Legolas, Gimli, Berevor.

I agree with this! Spirit need the resource advantage from Leadership and Tactics, well is doing a lot of combat, so healing is must :-)
I would even say that 40 card with one core is pushing... 35 card may be better in balance... But that is just me :-)
two or three cores allow 50 card decks much better (or some expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I planned to post my current decks, but copy/paste from carddb doesn't work properly on iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the admin fixed the copy/paste, so here is one of my decks. I usually try to avoid the "one off" cards and go for more consistency, and balance to be able to handle any situation.

Hero (3)
Denethor (Core) x1
Gimli (Core) x1
Legolas (Core) x1

Ally (14)
Erebor Hammersmith (Core) x2
Gandalf (Core) x2
Gondorian Spearman (Core) x3
Horseback Archer (Core) x2
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2
Veteran Axehand (Core) x3

Attachment (10)
Blade of Gondolin (Core) x2
Citadel Plate (Core) x2
Dwarven Axe (Core) x2
Forest Snare (Core) x2
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2

Event (16)
Blade Mastery (Core) x3
Feint (Core) x2
Lore of Imladris (Core) x3
Lorien's Wealth (Core) x2
Quick Strike (Core) x2
Radagast's Cunning (Core) x2
Secret Paths (Core) x2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryis 6
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
dcorban wrote:

That's exactly what I did as well, except with 50 card decks. Same heroes/spheres otherwise.

The Leadership/Spirit deck came close to beating the scenario solo; then the pair of decks lost the first time, won the second time. Since I'm taking my time with the core set, I'm planning to run a Leadership/Tactics + Lore/Spirit duo through, and then maybe a Leadership/Lore + Spirit/Tactics (Dunhere!) as well for fun.

In case you haven't done the quest yet, some spoiler-ed strategy:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The key is that you want to quest through the second stage as quickly as possible. So kill the Hill Troll, and then wait to advance until you're set for the second stage. My winning game, I used Sneak Attack Gandalf the first turn on the second stage, to kill an enemy when played, and then to quest, and then played him again next turn, again to quest. I also had Faramir available, but didn't need him.

Other general strategy: Theodred+Aragorn is obvious, but if you (optionally) get Steward of Gondor on Aragorn, and are missing Celebrian's Stone, you can give the resource to Eowyn, essentially turning a Leadership resource into a Spirit one; useful for Northern Trackers, etc. Remember that Aragorn can defend for the other player, and Legolas can attack for the other player. Beravor+Unexpected Courage is another powerful combo to get going. In general, mulligan your hand if you don't pick up a good attachment OR a decent spread of useful allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls