James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
New video suggests 'Bigfoot' might really exist
USATODAY.com:
http://usat.ly/1a6gLg7

If I can't stop laughing at this video, does that mean I'm close-minded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering...

Quote:
The Erickson Project — a group of researchers who have devoted their lives to proving the existence of Bigfoot...
...if a person or group actually devotes their lives to proving a conclusion they accepted a priori, then no -- criticism of their findings or discoveries is not close-minded.

(Oh, and anyone who uses three ellipses in one sentence probably ought not be trusted, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
Considering...

Quote:
The Erickson Project — a group of researchers who have devoted wasted their lives to proving the existence of Bigfoot...
...if a person or group actually devotes their lives to proving a conclusion they accepted a priori, then no -- criticism of their findings or discoveries is not close-minded.

(Oh, and anyone who uses three ellipses in one sentence probably ought not be trusted, either.)
FIFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fucking Wookie costume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The key difference being that Wookies actually existed. Granted, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far...

...well, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
Ellipsis glyph: … (Win: alt+0133, Mac: Option+;)
Three periods: ...

This message brought to you by the Typographical Pedant Society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chanfan wrote:
Ellipsis glyph: … (Win: alt+0133, Mac: Option+

Five keystrokes for three dots. Super.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
I have a hard time believing that a species of undocumented megafauna exists in North America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
The key difference being that Wookies actually existed. Granted, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far...

...well, you know.
there were two things I knew for sure - Chewbacca is real, and black people don't kill you for your cell phone. That's the two things I've learned in my time on this planet.

-Patton Oswalt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Hoax

http://news.discovery.com/animals/new-bigfoot-sighting-just-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Surrealism fanMicrobadge: Drum fan
I can't believe it took them 5 years to discover a Big Foot that appears to have died from a hairball infection. No good laying there dead, better keep looking for a live one I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Chanfan wrote:

And yet you don't mention the misspelling of "Wookiee". . .TWICE!

Pedant license. . .REVOKED!

Had to look up if Wookiee is capitalized. . .turns out it's an "ethnonym". . .a word I had never heard before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
Chanfan wrote:

And yet you don't mention the misspelling of "Wookiee". . .TWICE!

Pedant license. . .REVOKED!

Had to look up if Wookiee is capitalized. . .turns out it's an "ethnonym". . .a word I had never heard before.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Microbadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: impliesMicrobadge: Always the Banker
Quote:
The unexplained is not fantasy. It is merely unexplained.
In this case, there's nothing unexplained. It's a combination of hoax and fantasy.

The "researchers" claim to have DNA evidence of Bigfoot. Okay, where is it? How come the geneticists who study Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA have never heard of it? Where are the papers in peer-reviewed journals? Why haven't they uploaded any sequences to GenBank? Science FAIL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

I would guess that there are more people who have seen something they would describe as Bigfoot than have seen a wolverine.
Well, yeah - wolverines, like the chupacabra, are purely fictional. I believe they were invented to be low to mid level monsters in early versions of Dungeons and Dragons - where they still exist in the later versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmbmbmb

tesuji wrote:
... USATODAY.com ...
This is the bit that got me laughing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

I would guess that there are more people who have seen something they would describe as Bigfoot than have seen a wolverine.

According to Wikipedia there are around 100 or so Wolverines in zoos in the USA. Let's say, on average, these zoos host 1000 people a day who view said Wolverines (this is a VERY conservative number since even a small zoo like the San Antonio Zoo hosts over a million people a year). Now let's give you the benefit of assuming that half of these zoos are closed for 5 months of the year for winter (absurd but I'm trying to be fair here). Now let's also say that half the people who have the opportunity to see a Wolverine in a zoo during a one year period simply chose not to or miss the exhibit for some reason. This still leaves 350,000 per year who see a Wolverine.

I know you believe some pretty odd things politically but I simply cannot believe that you actually think more people see something they think is Bigfoot than see a Wolverine. The thought is simply absurd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
I know you believe some pretty odd things politically but I simply cannot believe that you actually think more people see something they think is Bigfoot than see a Wolverine. The thought is simply absurd.
I see wolverines all the time. Of course they're usually beating my Illini so I wish they'd go hide like Bigfoot, to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
Bigfoot? Wolverines? After a few good tequilas I've seen more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
No, never, but there was film and it was on that there news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The unexplained is not fantasy. It is merely unexplained.

Some people are interested in what it could be. Other people lack curiosity.

Curious people advance mankind. Small minded people mock them.

Bigfoot may not be a question that biology can address.
As long as it is obviously not some one dressed up in a fancy dress costume. You are correct the unexplained is not fantasy, but the explanations often are (if not (as in this case) outright hoaxes).

Personally I have no problem believing in a large hominid or new species of bear that lives in the wilderness areas of our planet, I just want to see evidence that does not require me to take my disbelief and fire it from a rocket into the sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Bigfoot? Wolverines? After a few good tequilas I've seen more than that.
Bloody Gin Goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls