Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about monster movement and end game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Mangz
msg tools
mb
I don't fully understand how the monsters move in the hall. When the dungeon hall is populated (all ranks filled) what happens to the monster in rank 1 at the end of a players turn if they don't go to the dungeon? For example, in solo play the monsters in rank 1 will escape the dungeon and attack the town...what happens in co-op? Do they just stay where they are until someone chooses to fight? If so, what keeps players from just spending infinite amount of turns building a powerful deck and then just destroying every monster?

As far as my end game question...does the game just end when the thunderstone bearer reach rank 1? Also, what's the point of putting monsters on the bottom of the deck (ie. when you lose a fight) if they are never going to make it on the board because the thunderstone bearer will inevitably come out before them?

Thank you in advance (thunderstone advance lol) for your help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
JoeyMangz wrote:
For example, in solo play the monsters in rank 1 will escape the dungeon and attack the town...what happens in co-op? Do they just stay where they are until someone chooses to fight? If so, what keeps players from just spending infinite amount of turns building a powerful deck and then just destroying every monster?
They do indeed stay in rank 1. The exception for solo play specifically combats the issue you mention, and provides the central conflict of the game: to defeat monsters faster than they escape.

That tension is inherent in the multi-player game, because players are all trying to defeat monsters faster than the other players do. You are welcome to spend turn-after-turn fine-tuning your deck for that Rank 1 monster, but if you delay too long, another player will surely snipe it.

JoeyMangz wrote:
As far as my end game question...does the game just end when the thunderstone bearer reach rank 1?
Yes. Or when a player defeats the Thunderstone Bearer.

JoeyMangz wrote:
Also, what's the point of putting monsters on the bottom of the deck (ie. when you lose a fight) if they are never going to make it on the board because the thunderstone bearer will inevitably come out before them?
It's mostly for theme, to represent the monster retreating safely back to the dungeon where heroes can't get it. There are circumstances where the monster might nonetheless re-emerge, as a result of a variety of card effects in the game to date. But for the most part you're right: once it leaves the dungeon, it's as good as gone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In coop mode (ie the siege mode from Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption), the monsters in rank 1 takes away a HP from the wall section in front of it (2 hp if an the entire rank 1 row is complete) before escaping to attack the village. Not only do these monsters add up to form the game's score, but each hp lost from the wall is also worth VPs added to the escaped monsters total. Finally, if a wall section s brought down to 0 points then the monsters break into the village and it's game over for the heroes. This added tension is why I love the coop mode, as it really encourages players to help each other out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I think you are missing. When the thunderstone bearer comes out, he sits at the highest rank possible until the entire rest of the deck comes out. Sooo...he wont hit rank 1 until he is the only guy left.

As far as waiting and building a deck until you are "ready". If you don't go after those lvl 1 guys and others do attack them, you are missing out on some easy experience points. Getting experience and leveling up your guys is key to taking out those lvl 3 monsters easier. Attack early and attack often!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Something I think you are missing. When the thunderstone bearer comes out, he sits at the highest rank possible until the entire rest of the deck comes out. Sooo...he wont hit rank 1 until he is the only guy left.

As far as waiting and building a deck until you are "ready". If you don't go after those lvl 1 guys and others do attack them, you are missing out on some easy experience points. Getting experience and leveling up your guys is key to taking out those lvl 3 monsters easier. Attack early and attack often!
You are mistaken here. In Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin only the Thunderstone Bearer Stramst stays at the highest rank until the dungeon deck is depleted. The other bearers can get pushed to the first rank, and in fact if this happens in standard multiplayer play the game is over.

For solo play, once the bearer is pushed OUT of the dungeon then the game also ends.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
Something I think you are missing. When the thunderstone bearer comes out, he sits at the highest rank possible until the entire rest of the deck comes out. Sooo...he wont hit rank 1 until he is the only guy left.

As far as waiting and building a deck until you are "ready". If you don't go after those lvl 1 guys and others do attack them, you are missing out on some easy experience points. Getting experience and leveling up your guys is key to taking out those lvl 3 monsters easier. Attack early and attack often!
You are mistaken here. In Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin only the Thunderstone Bearer Stramst stays at the highest rank until the dungeon deck is depleted. The other bearers can get pushed to the first rank, and in fact if this happens in standard multiplayer play the game is over.

For solo play, once the bearer is pushed OUT of the dungeon then the game also ends.
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin is the one I have. I must be playing against Stramst too much... Thanks for the correction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? When you lose against the thunderstone bearer, it should go to the bottom of the drawpile, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TiHa wrote:
Am I missing something? When you lose against the thunderstone bearer, it should go to the bottom of the drawpile, right?
Guardians (including the Thunderstone Bearer) are the exception to that rule.

Rulebook p23 wrote:
Guardians are immune to any ability or effect that would cause them to leave the dungeon hall, or change their position in it, until they are defeated. Guardians never retreat to the bottom of the dungeon deck if they win a fight.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
TiHa wrote:
Am I missing something? When you lose against the thunderstone bearer, it should go to the bottom of the drawpile, right?
Guardians (including the Thunderstone Bearer) are the exception to that rule.

Rulebook p23 wrote:
Guardians are immune to any ability or effect that would cause them to leave the dungeon hall, or change their position in it, until they are defeated. Guardians never retreat to the bottom of the dungeon deck if they win a fight.
Ah, okay. Thanks! Didn't make that connection when searching for rules for the Bearer...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls