Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduced RC to my brother and nephew last night. We played the Castaways scenario. It was the biggest cakewalk of a session I have had to date... with a game in which we had all the requirements fulfilled by the end of Turn 9, no player had lost enough health to drop below the first morale arrow, and in which we played out Turn 10 just to see what we did to prepare for the ship ride home (I tried creating the knife and the shield to take onboard in case of piracy!).

The turning point that led to such an easy victory was Turn 4 or 5, when a creature was sitting on top of the event deck to attack us at the beginning of the turn. The turn went something like this...

Event Gorilla charges....mowed down by the pistol. Meat piled up.
More food arrives via step three, lots more food. The snare worked!
Someone goes hunting and bags a chamois. More food!
Someone else builds the cellar.
A third person goes exploring and finds...MORE FOOD...and explores a temple and finds crates to store food in.

At the beginning of the night phase I think we had almost every yellow cube in the game stacked up on our camp. We never had to hunt or gather food for the rest of the game unless we wanted to heal someone and burn up some extra food. All this extra time meant we gathered the crap out of wood for a couple turns and sailed to an easy victory.

I think our party may have gained weight during their time on the island..as two of the three of us also binged on fruits/berries/nuts/etc. while outside of camp and ended the game with stomach maladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't food spoil overnight.

I thought having lots of food was sort of a sad face event because you won't have enough time to eat it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
He said that they built the cellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
He said that they built the cellar.
And I think they found barrels as well. With all that food, I'm surprised they didn't have to build a freezer. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say food ever seems to be the main problem for us on Castaways. Balancing enough wood to build shelter/roof AND keep some for the pile is the trickiest part. Or decide to risk some hunting and use hides for camp upgrades instead. If you don't get a shelter and upgrade the roof, your health drops quickly when the weather starts to change (or burns more of your food/wood)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same turn we found all the food we did build the cellar (which allows you to store all unused food) and we found the crates treasure card (which allows you to store all unused food). Later on in the game we also found the barrel (which allows you to store two unused food). It was a perfect set of circumstances.

Its not usually hard to keep food on the table in the scenario but when food gathering and hunting are no longer necessary, its so much easier to build the giant wood pile (including some to work on the shelter)in a short period of time. In our game the soldier took care of weapons/palisade with his special ability so we didn't spend wood on those tracks, and my carpenter used his ability to always shave off a piece of wood from the cost whenever he built the shelter/roof.

Another benefit of never having to spend actions on gathering food is that we were able to keep our morale pegged at max the whole time which let us use our special abilities pretty frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls