Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going into town today and might buy a game or two.

Any thoughts on the following?

Mystery of the Abbey - positives for me: Days of Wonder, murder mystery

Archipelago - positives for me: solo game is like a puzzle. negatives for me: looks like a lot of bookkeeping

Kingsburg - positives for me: dice manipulation & luck mitigation. game for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Kingsburg, it plays great with two though you will want the expansion right away if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
LudoCherry clothing, coming to KS in March!
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Cardboard Vault fan
Another +1 for Kingsburg. You need to use the 2 player variant rules, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all.

Also, definitely get the expansion. It improves the base game a lot (with the tokens that each player has to add to battle strength, rather than a dice roll), and adds more variety (with more building options). The expansion adds about 5 different elements, and you can choose to just use one or two of them, or all of them at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy archipelago, haven't got the single player kit but have played a few two player games. There is some book keeping but it is fairly quick once you are used to the game.
I also like Kingsburg but hadn't tried two player.
Have only played mystery of the abbey once and that was with five players but I wouldn't probably play it with less than three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Ended up going with Mystery of the Abbey and Kingsburg. It was only Kingsburg that I was interested in 2 player. Mystery of the Abbey I'll probably play 3 or 4 player with some Cluedo fans.

At this stage I'm skipping on Archipelago. Just looking at the component breakdown makes my bookkeeping aversion boil. A few people at my games group have it so I'll see if I can try it out there first.

Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls