Hide
4 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: GAME REQUEST rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
agga melo
msg tools
sorry if this topic has been posted a zillion times before but..

i used to own quite a few of the LOTR by games workshop sets when i was younger, but i lost them one time cause i left them somewhere (doh like 300-500$)

anyways, im look for a free alternative, the easier to learn the better

i like the idea of set stats, not having points to be distributed

and also not having to deal with gaining levels, i want it to be simple

i liked how the battle system worked in lotr

i want to be able to play with figurines, even if all i can come up with is lego guys or cardboard cutouts

also would prefer older type battles, like swords/bows/magic
guns are alright too i guess, but i dont really want tanks or stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not free, but for 8 bucks you can't go wrong with Song of Blades and Heroes. It's generic and can use any and all figures you can come up with. There's even a free unit builder on the Ganesha Games website if you want to make your own warriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I do have to admit the old LoTR game was actually really well done. I always enjoyed it (and the wacky armies I came up with).

If you liked the miniature thing I've heard very good things about Warmachine/Hordes, Malifaux, and a few others beyond what I've listed.

I'd say that given those requirements you might want to check out the soon to be released new edition of Battle Lore, not free but cheaper then GW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The place to start for free wargame rules is: http://freewargamesrules.co.uk

Are you looking for a skirmish game, where figures are individually based, or are you looking for an army game where you have usually have multiple figures per stand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls