United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is probably my favorite deckbuilder mechanically but it's such a bear to play now because of all of the expansions. I noticed with the second to latest expansion there are rules about how many of certain cards to integrate based on how many big or small expansions you're playing, and I think an earlier expansion had the same thing with events. It's just a lot to keep track of. Is there a guide to setting up a game or even better a randomizer like some of the Legendary ones that spits out a list of cards and then tells you all the special rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix all decks together.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Mix all decks together.

Done.
Do they even give you enough energy shard cards to do this? It honestly seems to not really be the intent but who knows. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Mix all decks together.

Done.
Do they even give you enough energy shard cards to do this? It honestly seems to not really be the intent but who knows.
Some games - no. Some games - you get energy and nothing that utilizes them.

It easier to put up with not knowing how it will go than sorting and resorting.

After all, it's 100% possible to play a whole game and only get cards from one given expansion.

Its not worth the effort to 'rebalance'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really like this game as well and what we do is keep each small expansion mixed with it's larger predessesor. For example, we have Return of the Fallen mixed with Chronicle of the Godslayer, Immortal Heroes with Storm of Souls and Darkness Unleashed mixed with Rise of Vigil. This keeps the sets with the similar mechanics, such as energy shards or events, together and makes those mechanics stronger in each game we play with these set up this way. The center decks are large enough for a couple of games usually. I suppose if you wanted more variety in each game and wanted to try some interesting combos, you could just mix all of the sets together, but we found that unwieldy. When it comes to everything mixed together, I just pick up the iOS version. This gives us two ways to play Ascension that feel somewhat distinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking you could mix some of the godslayer and return of the fallen into any of the other sets. They are vanilla. They will water down certain effects like soul gem acquiring.

I may do this with my apprentice edition when it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls