Subject: Is the Defiant cloak worth the SP cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
My FLGS is running OP2 at the end of the month. With the Defiant being released by then, I was thinking of including it in my fleet. However, given its limitations and added cost I was wondering what the community thought of its cost effectiveness. Thanks for the opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Whiteman
United States
Middletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no, but I've had very poor experiences with being cloaked overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william nothdruft

Michigan
msg tools
DoggieMon wrote:
My FLGS is running OP2 at the end of the month. With the Defiant being released by then, I was thinking of including it in my fleet. However, given its limitations and added cost I was wondering what the community thought of its cost effectiveness. Thanks for the opinions.
totally worth it. a ship that can cloak and perform a battle stations action? this is possibly one of the hardest ships to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you run the Defiant with a cloak, you're paying 30 SP for a ship with:
3/2/3/4
Actions: evade, target lock, scan, battle stations, cloak, and sensor echo
+ the special ability to covert critical hits down to regular hits

Ask yourself this. Is that worth 30 pts when, for the same 30, you can get the Valdore? Or the Negh'var?

To me, I'd much rather have the Valdore, Negh'var, Khazara, or Maht-H'a at 30 than to give up a couple of attack die and 2-3 hull just to get the option of battle stations. You can always put Picard on that ship if battle stations is that big of a deal to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one advantage of the Defiant, is the built in ablative armor that disregards Crits.

I'm actually adding in the Defiant as well, as our OP2 is also the last week of the month, but I'm not sure on the cloak mostly because I'm still fussing between a two or three ship build. Right now, I'm thinking Defiant fully loaded, w/DS9 O'brien. And, the Enterprise D also fully loaded, w/Scotty. So, both ships can rebuild shields as needed.

But, I'm also still trying to squeeze in a more streamlined Def and Ent build, to allow for a third ship for the extra firepower. So, that would mean leaving the cloak at the station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... I don't really think that it's worthwhile, overall. While having a cloak would be nice (and running one with Sulu flying and Terrell supporting would be a nightmare to hit), it's two actions (rather than one) to re-engage Cloak, which means that you'll be vulnerable far more often than you're not (and Enterprise D/RIS Valdore/IKS Negh'Var are all much better ships base than the cost of the ship plus upgrade).
As for the stats... Fairly middle of the road with a 90 degree firing arc... I may try flying one in the middle of a Miranda Class Missile Barrage (and will definitely be getting at least one, and probably two, if only to have enough of the 5 point Torpedoes to flesh out the rest of the fleet - though a full set with Quantum Torpedoes could be doable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about the Defiant's cloak in OP2 is that it allows the federation to run a blocking ship.

The weapons platform shoot at the closest ship so have the Defiant with the cloak and Sulu running in between them and the rest of your fleet as much as possible.

2 defence normal + 4 for cloaked + 2 and a 1 dice battlestation effect for Sulu.

That's 8 defence dice against 4 attack dice without any other modifiers.

I'd say it's definitely worth it for OP2 at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
so I guess I will preemptively ask, Abilities that cause crits, do they effect the Defiant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
SteRT wrote:
The thing about the Defiant's cloak in OP2 is that it allows the federation to run a blocking ship.

The weapons platform shoot at the closest ship so have the Defiant with the cloak and Sulu running in between them and the rest of your fleet as much as possible.

2 defence normal + 4 for cloaked + 2 and a 1 dice battlestation effect for Sulu.

That's 8 defence dice against 4 attack dice without any other modifiers.

I'd say it's definitely worth it for OP2 at least.
Thanks for the analysis. A cloaked Defiant seems like a fun ship to play but not that competitive for the OP. Unless you have to make a pure build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
The way I see it, I need a ship able to withstand 4 points of damage every time the OWPs fire so I can get in position to fire at my opponent in OP 2. That Means Sulu with 2 evades, and 6 die of evade which statistically give me 2 evades not counting battle stations. It seems like the Valdore with Picard might be the ship for the job.

I like the Defiant. Maybe WizKids should have given the ship the special ability to cloak (which seems to fit well with the series) or make the cloak 2 or 3 SP instead of 4. But then, I'm assuming they play tested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
so I guess I will preemptively ask, Abilities that cause crits, do they effect the Defiant?
Defender uses abilities before attacker. Thus, the defender would activate the defiant's ability to turn all [crits] into [hits], then the attacker could use an ability like Toreth's or Photon Torpedoes to change a result to a crit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoggieMon wrote:
The way I see it, I need a ship able to withstand 4 points of damage every time the OWPs fire so I can get in position to fire at my opponent in OP 2. That Means Sulu with 2 evades, and 6 die of evade which statistically give me 2 evades not counting battle stations. It seems like the Valdore with Picard might be the ship for the job.

I like the Defiant. Maybe WizKids should have given the ship the special ability to cloak (which seems to fit well with the series) or make the cloak 2 or 3 SP instead of 4. But then, I'm assuming they play tested it.
The only other ship I see having an ability to cloak is the Cardassian Keldon class ship (If it doesn't, fists will be shaken at Andrew, lol).

My guess is that the Defiant was too good at its cost with a cloak ability in testing and that an armor upgrade was swapped with a cloak upgrade. A no-crit armor as an upgrade would also double the upgrade on the Praetus which is why it may have worked this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
badge
Dungeon Alliance Champions (October 2019)
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
The only other ship I see having an ability to cloak is the Cardassian Keldon class ship (If it doesn't, fists will be shaken at Andrew, lol).
There will be no cause for fist-shaking, sir! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
Right now I feel like the Defiant isn't worth it.

Having played in an OP2 event, and the measly 3 ATK on the Defiant itself... it's a torp. platform. And torps are so not that useful becuase cloaking is a really really nasty thing when your opponent rolls well.

Granted it'll dodge things no problem with Data or Sulu onboard, but... it just doesn't have enough hull or attack to justify it right now.

If it was able to target lock something that was cloaked, oh man I would run it in a second. A lot of weapon upgrades can be really good on the defiant... but right now, I feel like it's outclassed by so much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
I can see why, after playing OP2, that you might think that the Defiant isn't worth it. A ship's maneuverability doesn't really matter in OP2, and the Defiant is best used in a scenario where maneuverability can be exploited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls