Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got this game, what's this train upkeep you are referring too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's referring to one of the additional rules of the standard game, in which at the end of each turn you need to pay the amount of money equal to your "train" level (1 to 6). Which would make the game harder, because every turn you would need to pay yet more money ;].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Sanhueza
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would chip in and say there is no reason not to use it at all. I've often played the base game with this extra rule and it does make the game that teensy bit harder.

Another rule you could slip in quite easily after a while is only being allowed to raise capital at the start of your turn too. Means you have to plan out what you're intending to do quite carefully.

The auctions on the other hand is another whole level of complexity. Our group generally play without this as the turn order on the action tiles seems to work perfectly well. More hardcore gamers may disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
One thing that occurred to me in the base game that though you don't pay maintenance, you do pay for the train cost to move up on the track, but in the advanced game you don't pay for the action tile when it is played, instead you just pay the 'bid' cost.
I would keep both the tile payment and the maintenance. In the standard game, the fiercest auctions are usually about getting hold of the loco action, so the tile cost in the base game makes up for that.
I guess the absence of loco maintenance in the base game is intended to make the game less money-tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the standard game, you bid for the order in which the role tiles are chosen and you pay maintenance on your choo-choos. In the basic game you're not paying for bids or maintenance but you pay for the choo-choo tile when you choose it. I'm not interested in working out which ends up costing you more (the difference could be less than you might think) but I believe the rules for each are in line with the intention of the two modes of play.

The standard game is meant to be a closer cousin to Age of Steam which has bidding for role choice order, no cost for the choo-choo tile and maintenance costs on your engines each turn. The basic game was devised to drop the auction but still have a way of "costing" the different roles (which includes more than just the engine upgrade). I'm not sure what is gained by messing with either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Sanhueza
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam, Steam, Steam Barons, Railways Of The World, Railroad Tycoon, plus dozens of expansions and maps, official or fan made, most of which have rule tweaks, exceptions, differences. There's not many systems that have been MORE messed about with it seems to me...surely a sign of a pretty robust core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to design my expansions for Steam to suck out more money. All games are kits, play the way it makes you happiest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls