Subject: Wave 4 revealed.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the presentation (at about 1:56)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=53IEW...

1) Voyager .......................... 3) Kazon raider*

2) Species 8472 (Bioship) ...... 4) Borg Sphere

* not ringing a bell......is it Ferengi?

Also the Borg are coming in 2014......... OP event #2 maybe?

Edit: Pointed out to be a Kazon raider by Inultus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Taylor
United States
La Canada
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a Kazon raider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja'd...

Kazon-Nistrim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So will that be 3 new factions available? I am only familiar with the Borg but these other two ships are new to me.

Looks like I may be able to save some money on wave 4 unless the cards are really, really good for the Kazon/Species ships. Maybe I can finally justify to myself buying some "extras", like another base set or D7's or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
How interesting! Well, this is the first release to break the Fed/Klingon/Rom/Dom pattern!

The question that is going to bug me for ages though is regarding the Kazon and Species 8472 (although it concerns the game as a whole) - will we be getting multiple releases of their ships to make them a viable faction if one is just buying one of each expansion? (Species 8472 have one model. Kazon can have 2, iirc) Is the plan to only ever release one of each ship or will other named ones turn up?

I'm aware of doubles as LE's for the events being possible but they're not for purchase so I shan't count them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voyager, Species 8472 and the Borg Sphere just mean the Cube/s and Diamond can't be far behind.

I wonder how fleshed out the Kazon will end up being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred Kazon to be non-aligned. I just don't see how they can have more than 2 or 3 ships. Unless they're going to really push the limits of characters.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Delta Quadrant Alliance faction - Kazon, Hirogen, and various others.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to a Borg campaign. More ships are always good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
mathguy6189 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred Kazon to be non-aligned. I just don't see how they can have more than 2 or 3 ships. Unless they're going to really push the limits of characters.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Delta Quadrant Alliance faction - Kazon, Hirogen, and various others.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to a Borg campaign. More ships are always good.

I think Kazon have more than enough going on to warrant them being a faction. Independent seems to be mercenaries and traders.

However, if the Kazon only ever get two ships released that won't be too hot. I don't mind fielding multiples of the same ship class (that's how it was in the show, after all!) but I want to get an idea of how much depth these factions with only one or two ships are gonna get. I think there was enough Kazon characters to give them several ship releases. We just don't know if Wizkids plan to sell duplicate ships with different names.

I think Species 8472 are in the worst position so far. They only have one ship design! I hope they get a few releases though to give them some card depth. But they don't exactly have many characters to draw from.

Can Andrew shed any light on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Species 8472 could have some pretty interesting upgrades. I mean they did kick the Borg's ass pretty handily...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastback64 wrote:
Species 8472 could have some pretty interesting upgrades. I mean they did kick the Borg's ass pretty handily...

You'll need a few Species 8472 ships do do the "planet killer" energy focusing attack...but that would be incredible to see in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just as many of us expected.

Obviously there will be many Borg ships. You have many Kazon sects, so there easily can be multiple crews/ships of them. I can think of at least 3+ major Kazon ships (Predator class, raider, and fighters; although you have frigate and shuttles too).

Next up prediction for this group of waves: Hirogen (the Predator-type hunters) and Malon (the waste disposal guys). We have screenshots of ships and characters for those, and they had repeated instances of aggression and weapon/tech use.

Now you know where the next OP events theme is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
Next up prediction for this group of waves: Hirogen (the Predator-type hunters) and Malon (the waste disposal guys).

I'd love to see the Hirogen, though my guess is for the Vidiians before the Malon. Creepy organ thieves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capnginger wrote:
drscottkelly wrote:
Next up prediction for this group of waves: Hirogen (the Predator-type hunters) and Malon (the waste disposal guys).

I'd love to see the Hirogen, though my guess is for the Vidiians before the Malon. Creepy organ thieves!

Vidiian Crew - Cost X - Disable this card and target an enemy ship within Range 1-2. One crew on that ship removes a kidney. Ew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Year of Hell event. With the temporal weapon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
Super excited about 8472!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lezta wrote:
How interesting! Well, this is the first release to break the Fed/Klingon/Rom/Dom pattern!

The question that is going to bug me for ages though is regarding the Kazon and Species 8472 (although it concerns the game as a whole) - will we be getting multiple releases of their ships to make them a viable faction if one is just buying one of each expansion? (Species 8472 have one model. Kazon can have 2, iirc) Is the plan to only ever release one of each ship or will other named ones turn up?

I'm aware of doubles as LE's for the events being possible but they're not for purchase so I shan't count them.

In Star Trek Armada II, Species 8472 had a good number of different ships: http://gaming.trekcore.com/armada2/ships-species8472.html

Most of these are non-cannon, but different ships do exist out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
In Star Trek Armada II, Species 8472 had a good number of different ships: http://gaming.trekcore.com/armada2/ships-species8472.html

Most of these are non-cannon, but different ships do exist out there.

Hey, Tactics III just previewed a ship based upon a William Shatner post-Generations novel storyline. I am, personally, officially, no longer ruling anything out as a possible basis for Wizkids Trek ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Delta Quadrant themed eh?

I'll be pleased to finally get Voyager (then we'll just need Archer's NX-01 to complete all the starring ships) and the first of the Borg. I really like Species 8472 as well.

Never really cared for the Kazon though. I believe I will pass on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kazon are ok if you are a fan of Voyager. I would have rather seen the Hirogen to be honest. The Undine (species 8472) are a welcome sight. They only have a limited number of cannon ship types, but their lore begs them to be played in multiples to make use of their awesome group firing weapon (that better be represented in the game). I can see if being something similar to the combined firepower attack that is in with the Klingon Bird of Prey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty surprised they're releasing the Equinox before the rest of these Delta quad ships. Assuming three to four waves, it's going to be kinda hard to stretch out that many Fed ships without the Eq. You have Voyager and the Prometheus, and Equinox would have made three. Which could have been pushed back by releasing the Nebula so many have been clamoring for. Four waves, spread out every two months, with an OP starting after the first wave, would pretty much line up with another six month OP. But, it will be pretty light on Delta ships, until at least month three at that release. Unless, month one is some kind of Wolf 359 event, using a non-aligned Borg cube, as was done with DS9, with a goal f destroying each other, and bonus points for destroying the Cube.

As for the wave itself. I'll get the Voyager, I'm not a fan of the show, but I don't exactly hate it either. And, I like the design of the Intrepid class. And, I will probably buy the Equinox when it ships, as I like the look of that as well. But, I really have no interest at all in any of the rest of the residents of the Delta quadrant. I might give in to the Borg, resistance is futile after all, but that's about it for these ships and me. What can I say, I'm a TOS/DS9er at heart, and I love what happens in the Alpha and Gamma quadrants.

If it makes Voyager fans feel better, I'll probably stay away from any Enterprise ships as well. That is, unless some Andorians rear their antenna. I love me some Andorians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since everything they have released so far has been based on existing stuff that already exists (or is coming out) for Tactics, so far all that has been shown for 8472 in Tactics is the Bioship. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bioship as a winning OP event ship as well as a regular release (like the Wave 2 IKS Koraga vs. the OP Month 2 prize IKS Ch'Tang). That is entirely a guess.

I'm curious to see how close the actual produced sculpt looks compared to the rendered Bio Ship shown here for hero clix tactics 3: http://heroclix.com/heroclix/preview/star-trek-heroclix-tact...

Tactics 3 gives a good hint of what we'll probably see for Attack Wing - especially with the Borg. They mention a sphere, scout, Queen Vessel Prime, Tactical Cube 138, and a Borg Assimilator.

The way things are going it's going to be a tough decision between buying 1 vs many of a particular ship because I absolutely am willing to bet we'll see same sculpt, multiple releases with different cards. It all comes down to ship stats and what cards it comes with.

While it's great to see a ton of components come out for a game, this every 2 months with at least 4 ships each time is going to get expensive! I may have to reconsider my 2x of each and every ship!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.