Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Warlord on the last round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! The Warlord's ability forbids it to destroy the Bishop's building, and anybody who triggers the end game with 8 buildings, and anybody who follows up by building to 8, right? Since the Warlord always go last, technically, whoever who picked the Warlord on the last round is somewhat screwed right? He can't really destroy anybody's building except his own, or someone who has less than 8 and who are usually less likely to win. Yes?

Just needed a confirmation, since it has happened many times when my players who picked the Warlord when the last round appears, go like, "... okay... not like I can do anything now anymore."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
It is tough to use the Warlord's destroy a building ability effectively on the last round, that is true.

A couple thoughts.
-Given that the Warlord is less valuable close to the end of the game, he should be drafted lower as a result.
-He still grants money for each red building. A player with lots of red buildings could still get great value from the Warlord.
-He is less likely to be Assassinated as a result of his lower value. He might be worth choosing as a somewhat "safe" choice for this reason.
-You may also consider reminding the complaining player that it is possible to waste an ability with many of the roles, by choosing a role that was left out of the round for example with the Assassin, or Thief, or to pick the Bishop when the Warlord was left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a house rule that players ARE to destroy a district in a completed city. The usual concern is that the game will drag on now that the city is down to 7 (or n - 1) districts. Well:
1) If u play with the Armory/Powderhouse from the exp, u do get a situation where this is possible. Designer ruled that THAT will be the last round. So you're supposed to check for 8 DURING the round, l not just at round's end
2) the Warlords been prolonging the game all this time. If u dont really want it to drag on, thrn font use him at all.
3) denying a poor player bonuses can be harsh. If u feel this way, the houserule that you lose out on the intrinsic/face value pts, but you still get bonus pts like all 5 colors or first to 8 can be used.

EDIT: smartphone typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan schiltz
United States
Glendale
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if bishop dies by assassination am i still protected from the warlord??

thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdschiltz wrote:
if bishop dies by assassination am i still protected from the warlord??

thanks for your time!
No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
The building can be destroyed on the last round, but the end game is still triggered. And I think the bonus for reaching 8 districts is still applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Deefer wrote:
The building can be destroyed on the last round, but the end game is still triggered. And I think the bonus for reaching 8 districts is still applied.
A district can indeed be destroyed on the last round, but not a district owned by a player who has 8 or more controlled districts.

This is directly from the Citadels rulebook.

You may not, however, destroy a district in a city that is already completed by having eight districts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Was wondering the exact same things as the other replies, regarding destroying completed cities, but keeping the bonuses, but you are right, every character has his times and uses, warlords just isn't for the end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blanch Blancherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
My group house rules it so that the Warlord can attack anyone on the last round except for the Bishop. This can make the game longer, but it can also allow for other players to play catch-up as well, making the end more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
It also means that a player has less power over when to end a game, thus eliminating some of the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
It also means that a player has less power over when to end a game, thus eliminating some of the strategy.
The designer mentioned (on his site) that the trigger of when the last round will be is at anypoint when someone has 8 districts. Not necessarily at round's end. So if someone builds to 8, then that will be the last round, whether or not you allow variants to destroy a district, or you use the Powderhouse from Dark city exp to destroy a district.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
But in these variants the players who use them are clearly saying that if someone builds to 8 cities and has one destroyed the game is not over at that point.

Thus the game would continue if no one had 8 districts at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Therapist - I listen to people for a living
I always played that if a player gets to 8 districts it is the last game round, but that none-the-less you can still use the warlord to destroy a district in a player's city who has 8 districts. Later when I realized this was not the official ruling I just continued to play it this way since I think it makes the game better. It brings more risk to playing the eight district, which I think vastly improves the game.

Another option is to just use the diplomat instead of the warlord since the diplomat can trade districts with anyone, including player's who have 8 districts. Whenever I play with the diplomat, he is a major end game factor and often he is used to steal the win if you aren't careful. When another player builds their 8th district and you still have a turn left you can just build a really low value district and trade it with his highest, which is often enough to take the game if it was close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls