Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has been interesting learning this game and writing out the rules with clarifications because I can see the things that Mike Selinker mentions that are not presented to hit us new players over the head but that we often miss anyway.

I hadn't even thought about this one but realized that although I was 'naturally' going to shuffle the Character deck discard pile and re-use it when my deck ran out of cards, I realized that this is not specifically pointed out in the Reset your Hand step.

Surely that was something we so easily take for granted that it must have just been skipped. But then I remembered the rule to not shuffle ANY decks unless instructed to do so.

Oh!

I'm still early in my first learning solo game and haven't come across anything letting me add the discard pile back into the deck. Is that out there? Or maybe you just get single cards back?

PS Thank you Mike for the way you have set-up the FAQ's and answering questions by saying how to adjust the rule-book to read properly - that is fantastic!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
It has been interesting learning this game and writing out the rules with clarifications because I can see the things that Mike Selinker mentions that are not presented to hit us new players over the head but that we often miss anyway.

I hadn't even thought about this one but realized that although I was 'naturally' going to shuffle the Character deck discard pile and re-use it when my deck ran out of cards, I realized that this is not specifically pointed out in the Reset your Hand step.

Surely that was something we so easily take for granted that it must have just been skipped. But then I remembered the rule to not shuffle ANY decks unless instructed to do so.

Oh!

I'm still early in my first learning solo game and haven't come across anything letting me add the discard pile back into the deck. Is that out there? Or maybe you just get single cards back?

PS Thank you Mike for the way you have set-up the FAQ's and answering questions by saying how to adjust the rule-book to read properly - that is fantastic!

You deck is your life. So the only things that will put cards back into your deck are healing spells, allies and items.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Yep, unless you get some healing or suchalike if you can't draw enough cards at the end of your turn you are snuffed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how my first - and, so far, only - game ended!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a quick look at p13 of the Rulebook, under the heading "Dying".

Quote:
If you are ever required to draw a card from your deck and cannot,
your character dies
So the answer is: strictly speaking you should never shuffle your discard pile and use dice to pick random cards when you heal (since the Apothecary interacts with the order of cards in your discard pile).

However, the designers have said on the Paizo forums that you may as well just shuffle the discards when you use a healing power and never mind that it changes the order.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny this was posted. I was thinking this morning about a lot of people complaining that this game was VERY easy and was trying to imagine what rules could be played entirely wrong that would cause this opinion. This was at the top of my list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:

Quote:
If you are ever required to draw a card from your deck and cannot,
your character dies
Right, this is probably what prompted me to question it - I was thinking this was probably a very rare occurence due to having to banish cards from your deck or something.

Glad I realized this right away - now I know why Recharging is very important.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
You deck is your life. So the only things that will put cards back into your deck are healing spells, allies and items.
That is now noted in my notes as something to explain right away. Seems so obvious now.



Kind of like the Blessing deck - it's explained that it is a timing mechanism but it is located in a strategy sidebar. Fortunately I did read THAT one before starting.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:


I'm still early in my first learning solo game and haven't come across anything letting me add the discard pile back into the deck. Is that out there? Or maybe you just get single cards back?
Take a quick look at Kyra's powers to see an example of healing. (i.e. getting cards back from the discard)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first game today, and thought I understood the basic rules, and figured "there must be a reshuffle of my discards at some point".

Of course, no there isn't, and both of my (solo) characters died.

Have to watch my recharging next game, or take a healer perhaps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls