Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My entry for this years SOlitaire Print & Play contest.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002891/2013-solitaire-p...

Game time: 10-20 Minutes.

Traditional card game that only requires a single deck of standard playing cards with two Jokers.

The game was actually finished a while ago, but I had not had the chance to type up the rules till just now. So it's a final hour submission.

Last year, one of my entries was to try and create a solitaire card game that tried to incorporate poker elements, but I think it came out a little too theme heavy and complicated.

This year I wanted to try the same idea, but strip it down a bit and make it much easier to play with less little things to remember.

There is a loose back story and theme that I came up with, but decided to leave out. It roughly involves the player being part of an ancient order trying to break a seal which will unleash an ancient evil if it is not broken before dawn.

Anyways, Here's the rules:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0SZbVHCrTCJVER1QUZGNnRHNms/...

I hope you enjoy. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games (1 loss and 1 very quick, easy win). I think it's an enjoyable game and I like the way that you set up the rows/columns on the play field. The inclusion of the special pairs is a nice touch that seem to help if you get stuck in run of bad cards/no hand matches.

During my first game I had to add quite a few cards to the play field before I was able to make any hands. So I had a bad start but later recovered from it. I ran out of cards but was able to continue making a couple of hands due applying my final hand effect and the state of play field.

I found the flush and straight flush rewards slightly overpowered. Being able to turn over all the cards on the table is really powerful and pretty much guarantees that you can make hand after hand.

I made all of the hands except 4 of a kind. Pairs were obviously the most common hand I made. I like how the Joker is a double edged sort and both helps and hurts you.

As for strategy, like many traditional card games it doesn't feel like I have that much control over how the game plays out. The player has to try to remember which cards have been added to which row/column, and sometimes has to make a choice between which type of hand to make. Other than that the game pretty much plays itself.

That's not really a big criticism because it's a fast game and this really is the nature of many traditional card games. I guess the fun of the game is trying to string together a long sequence of hands and winning as fast as possible. I'll try the hard game and see how that plays out.

Perhaps your end game score could be based on the number of cards left in the draw deck, so that the player has the aim of trying to win the game as quickly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few rules questions:

If I'm making a pair, do I just discard those two cards or do I have to make up to a hand of 3 with a third irrelevant card from my hand? I assume the former, but the talk of Poker hands and then having a hand of 3 made me unsure (I started thinking of Brag too).

I think I should discard the cards that make up a hand and then apply the effect, possibly after revealing one or more face-down cards in the display by using cards above them in my hand. Is that right?

There seems to be a special case: presumably if the centre card is a Joker, it should not itself be flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j409603 wrote:

If I'm making a pair, do I just discard those two cards or do I have to make up to a hand of 3 with a third irrelevant card from my hand? I assume the former, but the talk of Poker hands and then having a hand of 3 made me unsure (I started thinking of Brag too).

I played with the former, and found that the game was relatively easy to get out most of the time. (IIRC I lost once out of four plays.)

If you had to play a third card from your hand, it would make the game a little harder, 'cause you'd be getting through your draw deck a bit faster.

If you could pick a third card to make a play of three from the same places you could get the rest of your hand - meaning you could take an irrelevant card from one of the face-up cards on the stacks, so long as one of the pair came from your hand - then it would be significantly easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very sorry for the late reply.

When you make a hand, you discard only the cards from your hand that you use as part of the hand you are making. Along with any cards used from the face up piles on the table. You can only use the cards on the table to make a hand as long as at least one of the cards from the hand being formed came from your 3-card hand.

Make note that you can only make one hand per round. With the exception of making two pairs.

You guys must be much luckier/better than I, or I have missed something in the rules. Cause my win/loss ratio is much greater weighted towards the loss end.

As for the flush and straight being too powerful, remember that the flush only lets you turn over cards that are face down and not remove face up cards. When a card is removed, the next card is NOT flipped over.

You cannot use any irrelevant cards to make a hand.

You are right about if the joker is in the center pile then it should not be flipped. I actually don't think it ever came up in any of my plays so I never considered it. I suppose I would revise it to either go that the player simply get's to use it as wild out right, or it would cause every other surrounding card to get flipped.

You have some very valid points about the luck of the game.

Thank you very much for your feedback guys. I look forward to any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played four games this evening. Pretty cards solitaire. I've lost two first games and I've win other two (with 13 and 3 cards in deck). Always play with special hands.

Of course this is a luck game but I like the mechanics and game rithm.

I've a question:
* What is a "joker card revealed"? Only a joker card revealed from a stack or from the draw deck too? I've played asumming both options.

Ah, if rules includes a reference table for hands would be easier to play first games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls