Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Basic X/Y squad help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanthal Rowning
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the game and still have a lot to learn re: squad building but I wanted some opinions on a simple X/Y Build I put together which I'm sure has been seen a thousand times. I have no wave 3 stuff but have 2x A-wing and 2x Tie interceptors plus Firespray and Falcon arriving this week so I will have those cards as options for any suggested changes.

The squad looks thus currently:

Biggs w/ Shield Upggrade and R2-D2 (32)
Wedge w/ Push the limit (33)
Horton Salm w/ Ion Cannon, Proton Torps and R2 Astromech (35)

The idea being to keep Biggs alive for as long as possible while Wedge goes to town and Salm disrupts squad movement with Ion Cannon. I know that Proton torps are not everyone's fave but I wanted to see if I could use it to pull off an early hit from range to get the battle going. (I assume that Salm's re-roll counts for torps as well). The R2 astro just increases Salm's maneuver options given that there are 4 moves providing stress to Y- wings.

Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice squad. Practice formation flying :-). Torpedoes are like made for Horton Salm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not flown Biggs much, so other people's opinion probably hold more weight but here's my comments;
Biggs is still going to go down in a couple of rounds of focused fire, and for that reason I think that you'll get more benefit from R2-F2 (action: add one agility for the round) than R2-D2.
For Wedge, to remain in formation, you don't want to be worried by additional stress. I would think about Marksmanship instead of Push The Limit.
The are both minor tweaks to your squad. Not too comfortable with the Horton Salm configuration, but see how that goes to get some idea of how it works in the squad. I'm feeling Dutch might fit better here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanthal Rowning
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I was looking at Dutch as well in place of Salm so that if Wedge had marksmanship he could take a focus and then get the target lock from Dutch. Could I put the R2 unit on Wedge instead to counter the PTL stress? Would that work?

I guess the problem with Salm is keeping him at range to be able to use his pilot ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason O'Gorman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mb
Biggs is going to be focused fired first. He needs to go down. Shield upgrade and R2D2 is good, just not on Biggs as thats a lot of points of your squad to lose for a required destruction.

Biggs with R2 F2 is a little better or a shield upgrade.

Wedge, I would put the shield upgrade on him as well and R2 D2. With biggs I would have Expose, after biggs fly past and regenerate with R2 D2, then swing back for an Exposed pass, fly away to regen. Repeat as much as you can.

Horton an ion don't work so well together. only range 2 shots get access to his reroll. Dutch would have better synergy with your squad.

I would suggest:
Biggs, R5 and Shield Upgrade
Wedge, Expose, R2-D2, Shield upgrade
Dutch, R2 and ion turret.

Biggs moves first (takes focus for defense) then Dutch moves on his wing and TL's, passing one off to either Biggs or Wedge. Wedge comes in behind or alongside and takes expose to pound his first target. If focus fire destroys biggs in the first round, Dutch should come out unscathed and should ion any ship looking like a threat to Wedge. After biggs goes down your opponnent will go after the bigger threat in wedge. Have Dutch block and ion where he can to disrupt groups that could focus fire on wedge. After that, it comes down to how well you fly your squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna disagree with everyone. I think your squad looks pretty good.

Biggs: I like R2-D2 over R2-F2, because it frees up an action to focus every turn. Just make sure you save it for defense.

Wedge: I prefer PTL on Wedge over Expose any day, with or without Biggs. 3 dice with focus + target lock have a better chance of hitting than 4 dice without either (Expose eats up your action). Regarding being stuck to slow green moves (to clear stress), that's okay. You want to fly slowly with all your other pilots too. Biggs wants to do green maneuvers to regen shields, and horton wants to stay at outside of range 1 so benefit from his reroll ability.

Horton: Horton with focus, with an ion cannon at range 2 makes for an ionized ship pretty much every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not so easy for the enemy to get constantly into range 1 of your Y-Wing, so Horton's ability can be used frequently. But this maybe just because my opponent and me are both not good enough pilots :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanthal Rowning
Australia
flag msg tools
I was thinking about Dutch some more and am playing around with builds that use him.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Dutch + Ion + Proton Torps + R2 Astromech (33)

Biggs + R2D2 + Shield Upgrade (33)

Wedge + R5K6 + (Either PTL, Hull Upgrade, or Marksmanship) (34)

My thoughts are use Dutch to grant Wedge a target lock and then Wedge can use a focus action. If Wedge can re-aquire his lock with R5K6 then Dutch can give a lock to Biggs.

Again, Proton torps for an alpha strike and ion cannon to disrupt movement.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
If you are using turrets for your Ywing, you don't really need R2 astromech since you not be doing much red maneuvers. Consider R5 astromech instead, you do have 5 hull points and they can collect quite a fair bit of critical hits.

R5K6 is generally a bad choice for an astromech, get rid of it. The only time i would really consider using R5K6 is on Dutch in a 4 ship build, where the chance of an extra targetlock really does contribute to the combat and is worth that 2 points. In a 3 ship build, it's not as good on Dutch, and if used on anybody that is not Dutch, I would recommend you find something else.

If you are going Wedge PTL, do give him an engine upgrade. Not only does it help keep him alive much longer, you are also able to make more use out of the PTL since you now have 3 different actions to choose from, as opposed to only 2.

so your final list will now look something like:

Dutch / ion turret / R5 astromech (29)
Biggs / R2D2 / Shield upgrade (33)
Wedge / PTL / engineupgrade / R2 astromech (37)

for a total of 99 points. Since Biggs is the 2nd most expensive ship in your team, and definitely the first to die, i would want to fine tune the list a bit more by changing his loadout.

Biggs / Stealth (28)
Dutch / ion turret / R5 astromech(29)
Wedge / PTL / engineupgrade / R2 astromech / Advanced torps (43)

bit of a balls out choice with Wedge though, if he dies, there goes your game. But then again, even if Wedge didn't cost that much, if he dies, there goes your game too, so his expensive point cost should not be too much of an issue here. Anybody that you do not like, have Dutch give wedge a lock on the target, get wedge to do a focus and PTL to boost into range 1 of the target, and let loose the advanced proton torps

alternatively, i was considering:

Biggs / stealth / R5 astromech(28)
Dutch / ion turret / R5D8 (31)
Wedge / PTL / engine upgrade / R2D2 (40)

if you want a more defensive build. No R2 astromech on Wedge to help shed the stress, but R2D2 + engine upgrade should be able to get you out of some sticky situations, just not as well as R2 astromech doing a hard 2 + boost. R5 astromech on Biggs to bleed off the last remaining point for a full 100, because you really, really do not want to have initiative, else your opponent PS9 pilots (eg. Soontir, Vader, MM + VI) will eat your wedge alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
R5-K6 is too unreliable to be worth it. Give Wedge an R2 and PTL, or an R5 and Swarm Tactics.

I'm not a huge fan of R2-D2 on Biggs either - and I've played several games where Biggs has survived quite handily. Of course, those were with 4 ships, where only Wedge was by Biggs and the other two doing their own thing. I like R2-F2 because you can usually tell if Biggs is in Danger this turn or not - if he is, he R2-F2s for the extra die; if he isn't, he Target Locks something. (Won one game where all my kills came from Biggs or rocks....)

But at this point I'm a pretty good X-Wing pilot, and can really stretch things out by having Biggs flip in-and-out of range of Wedge from turn to turn - people always shoot at Wedge if they can, so the result is spreading damage over two ships. So that's no doubt influencing my build advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Vagabond Elf wrote:

But at this point I'm a pretty good X-Wing pilot, and can really stretch things out by having Biggs flip in-and-out of range of Wedge from turn to turn - people always shoot at Wedge if they can, so the result is spreading damage over two ships. So that's no doubt influencing my build advice.

i suppose your general play area meta would have a rather large influence as well. I did the Biggs flying in and out thing to try and get my opponents to split the damage between Biggs and the VIP, but my opponents chose to take out Biggs instead, even when he is not within range to protect anybody, so not too much of a problem.

i mean, i have cases where my Wedge was within range 1 and my Biggs at range 3 behind a rock with 2 hull left, and they still chose to shoot at him with their TIEs and 2 attack dices, even after reminding them that Wedge is not protected by Biggs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanthal Rowning
Australia
flag msg tools
Question Re: Dutch and target lock. If I used R5K6 and successfully re-acquired a target lock would Dutch's ability activate again?

So in a turn I could target lock as an action and grant an ally a target lock. Use Dutch's target lock in an attack, roll an evade with R5K6 to re-acquire and therefore grant a second ally a target lock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
yes. To further add on, you can spend a targetlock and choose to re-roll 0 dices. However, you may not choose to lock on onto a target which is already locked on (ie. if you locked onto TIE A on the previous turn, and you did not spend the lock, you cannot declare a new target lock on TIE A again)

in a 3 ship build, you generally have enough bonus targetlocks to go around and would not need to really consider doing this trick. In a 4 ship build however, this is quite powerful, depending on your luck with R5K6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanthal Rowning
Australia
flag msg tools
So you could theoretically do perhaps some kind of "Support build" then with:

Dutch + R5K6,
Garven Dreis
2x Prototype Pilot or Rookie Pilot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Lanthal wrote:
So you could theoretically do perhaps some kind of "Support build" then with:

Dutch + R5K6,
Garven Dreis
2x Prototype Pilot or Rookie Pilot

the other time i managed to squeeze this out in a for-fun casual session

Garven + R2 astro
Biggs
Cynyd
Dutch + R5K6

4 named rebels, 100 points, and it somehow works.

Otherwise, the standard wave 1 build was

Garven
Dutch + ions + R5K6
2x rookie Xwings

leaving you at 98 points, with 2 points for upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.