Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, omit wargames like Wizard Kings. I'm just wondering if there's a game style I have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of Miniatures combat games.

And then things that are odd, like Blue Moon, Blood Bowl, Clout, Talisman, Tales Of The Arabian Nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's omit minis and anything that is primarily cards.

This is a new BGG feature: Interactive Search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on if you count City of Chaos (paragraph driven, a la Tales of the Arabian Nights) as a dungeon crawl or not...

There's also City of Sorcerers (mix of cards and counters), where 2-4 players develop wizards in the first phase of the game and then fight a magic duel against each other in the second phase.

I'm sure there are many more, depending on where you wish to draw the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this still leaves things like Tales Of The Arabian Knights, Clout, Talisman, Lost Worlds, Waving Hands, Barbarian Prince, and a lot of pseudo RPGish things like which-way books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Emerald? I'm not sure if I would classify that as a dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are games like Magic Realm, Return of the Heros or Runebound.

You should consider Once Upon a Time...

Also games like Elfenland or even Enchanted forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Well, there are games like Magic Realm, Return of the Heros or Runebound.

These 3 are effectively dungeon crawls, just not in dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ars Mystorium? About making magic potions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also chess variants with a fantasy theme, like Dragon Chess and Navia Dratp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but there are many such games (including most of my own unpublished designs ).

Many of FFG's Silver Line games. The best of them that fit this category are Cave Troll and Orcz.

Many card games, such as Fist of Dragonstones, Fantasy Pub and Dragon's Gold.

Titan the Arena aka Colossal Arena

Dragonland

LotR: the Confrontation

There are also plenty of multi-player conquest games with a magic element: Warcraft, Quest of the Dragonlords, etc.

Of the ones mentioned here, my favorites are Dragonland, Cave Troll, Titan the Arena, and Fist of Dragonstones.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife would kill me if she found out that I didn't mention her favorite game...Elfenland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you want a fantasy game that isn't about adventure and isn't about war?

Those are the two main themes of every fantasy novel I've read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above Elfenland is one such game.

I would also include Dungeon Twister. It is listed here as a dungeon crawl, but it is really just a strategy game with a dungeon/fantasy theme.

However, I will agree that the vast majority of fantasy games are dungeon crawls, CCGs, light wargames/miniature wargames. However, I think that this is because these are the types of games that most people who like the fantasy genre usually enjoy. I dislike the tired fantasy genre and almost didn't buy Dungeon Twister because of it. I honestly think if the base game were rethemed, that it may have been discovered by the wider target audience it seemed to be designed for. Instead, its fantasy theme drives away many that would like the underlying strategy game and draws in many who are ultimately disappointed that it wasn't the dungeon crawl game they thought it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
So, you want a fantasy game that isn't about adventure...

So-called RPG's are not really role-playing at all. In an RPG like D&D, role-playing is basically everything that is NOT in the rules, and good role-playing has an affect on the game itself. In board game "RPG's", you take on the roles of characters, but in the end it's all about the die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract strategy:
* Atlanteon, under that name, with the underwater theme. The original theme is non-fantasy.
* Dungeon Twister.

Resource management:
* Das Zepter von Zavandor

Trains:
* Iron Dragon

I know you wanted to exclude "games which are mostly cards", but while it makes sense to group Blue Moon with CCGs, Fairy Tale doesn't fit there at all. It, too, has a fantasy theme. The same can be said for Citadels.

I don't know whether you group A Game of Thrones under wargames, but if not, it fits.

LOTR. LOTR: The Confrontation. LOTR: The Duel. Shadows Over Camelot. Beowulf. Fist of Dragonstones.

And this is just sticking to the games which have themes closer to "epic fantasy". If we branch out a bit more, then there are even more: Techno Witches, Zombies!, The Great Brain Robbery, Strange Synergy.. the list goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, one can use a board and miniatures for D&D and still have the "roleplaying", the important factor being the DM to interpret the non-rules stuff. Anyway, D&D and dungeon crawl are almost synonymous.

Mare Nostrum:Mythology expansion has fantasy elements. Also war, though not as much war as, say, A Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Mare Nostrum:Mythology expansion has fantasy elements. Also war, though not as much war as, say, A Game of Thrones.

I don't consider mythos as fantasy myself, it's the the barrier between, i.e.

religion - mythos - fantasy

Or you could consider them all "fantasy". Or just looking for stereotypical fantasy elements, i.e. JRR Tolkien ripoffs (Elves, Orcs, Wizards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of them. But I suppose it depends on how you define wargame (does a duel between sorcerers count as a wargame?)

Castle of Magic, Lost Worlds, Melee, Dark Tower, Wizards Quest, Dragon Hunt, Stomp!, Encounters, DemonWand, Elric, Demons, DragonRiders of Pern, Sorcerer, etc.

and Magic Realm IMHO is a bit more than an outdoor dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here's a bit of a different suggestion, and yes it's not exactly fanatasy but medieval in nature, but might still work for you.

A Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you've been pretty clear what you DO NOT want, could you give us a little bit more of a hint about what you are exactly looking for?

I would love to help because I love fantasy. But from your other comments to other suggestions, I don't know what you are wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
In an RPG like D&D, role-playing is basically everything that is NOT in the rules, and good role-playing has an affect on the game itself. In board game "RPG's", you take on the roles of characters, but in the end it's all about the die rolls.

I don't care if you're the most role-playing son-of-a-gun that ever existed, if you roll a 1 (a "critical miss" in D&D) you miss and all of the story-telling you could possibly muster isn't going to change that fact.

Almost every game on the market has some sort of random generator like dice, or cards, or whatever. In the end, it all about the die rolls...no matter what game you're playing...unless its random generator is cards...or whatever. So, your explanation there is, well, wrong.

Oh, and this past Saturday I hosted a boardgame event at the FLGS and everyone played Descent: Journeys in the Dark. And every single player chose a "role" for their character and stuck to it the entire game...even when they had to make "rolls" that were unsuccessful or successful. They role-played the entire game, even as they roll-played.

So, again, without being too obscure, what exactly are you looking for? I'm not sure anything exists which you won't so willingly dismiss out-of-hand.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in lighter games? I've enjoyed this one for years:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2546

At heart, it's an economic race game, with a definite fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones is most definitely Fantasy. Just wallk into a bookshop- where is it shelved? It takes place an alternate earth in a low technology setting (High technology alternate earths are called science fiction).

It is also a war game, at least thats what I call a game in which the principle dynamic is the movement and combat of armies and fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:
These 3 are effectively dungeon crawls, just not in dungeons.

Uh, no they are not dungeon crawlers. I think instead of dungeon crawl, you should have instead said ADVENTURE games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.