Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some of the best monsters from the first edition and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert S
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Best monsters for use in 2e, I assume?

Golems are by far the best, mostly because of Ironskin negating all the traditional methods heroes have to cripple big monsters.

Sorcerers can break a few scenarios with their summon ability.

Razorwings are good objective token carriers for a few scenarios

The classic ogre knockback into pits or lava is great

Kobolds are somewhat useless offensively, but they require a lot of hero actions to clean up, buying you a lot of time.

Honestly there are a lot of great monsters in 1e, it really depends more on the scenario you're playing than the stats on the monster cards.

I also sometimes place monsters for comedic value, such as during the interlude, you are able to put in Shadow Dragons, Ice Wyrms, and Crypt Dragons. ENTER THE DRAGON DOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I meant for use with 2E. I just got a copy of the 1E base game for cheap and wondered if any of the other ones are worth tracking down on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My personal favorites are:

*Shade - There are lots of 'em, and with a black defense die, they're pretty durable (even with 2/4 health). They've become a staple in my group's games.

*Medusa - I'm a big fan of Medusa/gorgons in mythology, and I am blown away with the creepy design they did for this monster. Like shades, they're staples for me, and I love the complete control they can have (with good rolls).

*Ice Wyrm - Big and tough; though I preferred 1e's "Swallow" ability more. Clearly I'm a Tomb of Ice fan.

*Beastman - Yeah, there are better monsters to choose, but I see Beastmen as THE grunts in the Descent world. And I love Ravage no matter what package it comes in.

*Sorcerer - Another staple, like the Beastmen, only ranged.

*Naga - Like the shades, but bigger. Plus I love the Naga sculpt.

*Ogre - Knockback is so useful, and add Undying onto that... jeez, he's a powerhouse. His health also helps.

*Wendigo - Another powerhouse, with Stealthy (amazing ability) and Ravage. I want to know how this huge hulking beast is stealthy, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant, every time. He's a 4 space monster so can block up a lot, and he has the most wounds/defense of all the monsters.

Kobolds can be really gnarly though with a lot of heroes. When you look at actions-to-monster ration, you need something like 15 attacks to clear a path of Kobolds (while usually not so many for say Giants).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Elves stab the hell out of heroes. Work just as they're supposed to: like assassins. Very fast, also, when you need a monster to carry something.

I've got a whole monsters thread, updated as I actually try them out firsthand (and yes, giants are AMAZING).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Deep Elves stab the hell out of heroes. Work just as they're supposed to: like assassins. Very fast, also, when you need a monster to carry something.

I've got a whole monsters thread, updated as I actually try them out firsthand (and yes, giants are AMAZING).
Does your other thread include first edition monsters as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has all monsters so far from 1E and 2E (except those from Trollfens), assessed for 2E. Best guesses as to efficacy when I haven't tried them out firsthand yet.

EDIT: Added monsters from Trollfens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls